Cabrinha Dominates the 2003 Velocity Games

Forum for kitesurfers
SOLIDKB
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Dominates the 2003 Velocity Games

Postby SOLIDKB » Thu May 29, 2003 8:29 pm

The 2003 Velocity Games was sick!! The Cabrinha Team smoked all contenders round after round. There is no question, kiteboarding has gone to a whole new level. This was the first contest to have a kicker and a slider as part of each round. This was the first contest requiring a leash system and a helmet for the kicker and slider. Handlepasses galore, each one higher and higher. Cabrinha's Martin Vari with not only one of the highest jumps of the contest, but adding the sickest handle pass to it. Andre Phillip, not only regulating the kicker, but sticking mobes and flat 360's off it. Jody Tolliaferro was the only women to go off the kicker while being pulled by the ski and was the only female competitior to throw a sick back-roll with a full kiteloop, no frizzy hey I landed and my kite is going through, a full loop!! Tahiti Moehau Goold hit that kicker like his life depended on it, harder and faster, sticking clean 360 handle passes. Elliot Leboe with busted ribs, having to sport a seat harness, still managed to keep it together wihile throwing down some serious wake style. Mark Ramsiere was smooth, I'm talking Barry White. He was flawless, smooth high spins, board off, kite loops, you name it this guy is butter, on and off the water. Julie Gilbert had the highest boost for the women and even hit the kicker. She tore her way to 2nd place in the finals by staying in front of the judges and ahead of the game. The sickest trick had to go to Martin Vari for a back roll to 50-50 on the slider all the way across. The Cabrinha crew saw the light and litt it up for everyone. Martin, Andre, Moehau, Mark, and Elliott all used stock Power-Lock bars. Martin, Mark, and Jody all used stock Vari 138 boards while Andre switched between a 138 Vari and a 2004 Cabrinha Icon, all with ZERO damage. All used stock 2003 Cabrinha BlackTip kites that elvated them all to new levels. In the end it was Cabrinha's Martin Vari in 1st and Cabrinha's Andre Phillip taking 2nd and taking 3rd was Jaime Herraiz. Special Thanks to the city of Corpus Cristi, the Neuse County Police, Bucky Ashcraft, Paul Menta and the entire Velocity Games Crew!! Congratulations to the entire Cabrinha Crew, you kicked ass!!! :thumb:

For further info go to http://www.kitewindsurf.com or for further info on the Cabrinha Team Gear,email Garry (SOLIDKB) at gmenk@hotmail.com

PH
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

yes

Postby PH » Thu May 29, 2003 9:53 pm

:thumb:
Thumbs up.
Wasn't it the sickest event ever?
Corpus Christy really rules, even though it was freaking hot out.
The people are awesome, the contest was insane.
Can't wait for the DVD and the FOX NET show.
Any clue on when it will air?

Hope everyone will recover from ,well, you know...
See you all real soon
Aloha
and again:
Thanx Corpus, Neuse County Police :lol: (save Martin and Ben), Bucky Ashcraft, Paul Menta and the Games Crew!!

FLYMAN
Medium Poster

Postby FLYMAN » Fri May 30, 2003 12:29 am

Please le us know when will be the Fox TV show

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Fri May 30, 2003 10:14 am

.....and I thought cabrinha was the skoda of the kiteworld :wink:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri May 30, 2003 12:34 pm

Of course they are. The cabrinha team is just so damn good that they make the kites look better than they really are.

I just had to respond to a lame ass post about how crap the kites are now. Hopefully some of the people who comment on them without trying them will actually take the time to do so before making uninformed opinions regarding them.

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Fri May 30, 2003 12:48 pm

nice to hear from someone else with a reasoned opinion! There's far too many (often) anonymous Cabrinha bashers on here.

I read a lot of these 'crapina' posts with amusement, I've been flying them for nearly 2 years now 02's, 03's - without ANY problems.

I wouldn't say they were any better or any worse than any of the rest, but it does make me chuckle when we see posts on here about returning aero II's and Amps amongst others.

This is a great forum.....but I feel there are those on here with an agenda - dont believe evreything you read!

Very satisfied CABRINHA customer :thumb:

Sherlock
Rare Poster

Postby Sherlock » Fri May 30, 2003 2:47 pm

Of course Cabrinha was the highlight of the V Games, they were the only company encouraged to participate as a major sponsor. Who's the cabrinha rep in Texas....dah

No doubt their team is hot, but maybe next year the V games will be about the entire industry, not the Cabrinha Bucky show. Its all about hyping your favorite (usually for financial benefit)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri May 30, 2003 3:15 pm

From the VG website at:
http://velocitygames.us

Even more manufacturer participation would be good in future events but Naish and Cabrinha among many other concerns were sponsors at this year's session as you can see above. Naish even paid for the construction of the kicker that so many riders had a blast popping off of. From a spectators prespective it was a great event. I am hopeful that from a sponsors perspective it was a good event as well. Why? So that they will organize and hold MORE entertaining events like this that both support and build the sport.

Rick Iossi
Last edited by RickI on Fri May 30, 2003 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLYMAN
Medium Poster

BRANDS AND CONTESTS

Postby FLYMAN » Fri May 30, 2003 3:58 pm

BY THE WAY SHERLOCK, SINCE YOU ARE SO SHARP IN YOUR ANTI-CABRINHA SENTIMENT, DID YOU REALIZE THAT THE RED BULL KING OF THE AIR WAS ALWAYS WON BY NAISH RIDERS? NEVER SEEN A COMMENT ABOUT THAT IN ANY FORUM...
I KNOW THAT TO READ "CABRINHA DOMINATES VELOCITY GAMES" MAY SOUND PROVOCATIVE TO YOU, BUT IS NOT ANY DIFFERENT THAN READING "GAASTRA DOMINATES WADELL" OR "NORTH TAKES 2ND IN AUSTRIA", FOR THAT MATTER. :wink:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri May 30, 2003 4:09 pm

There were multiple sponsors but I don't see what the sponsor has to do with it anyway. There are Naish, Wipika, Etc sponsored events as well. There were also plenty of top riders there so what makes the sponsorship any different. (You don't see Laurel Eastman complaining about her placement in the tournament because it was a Cabrinha sponsored event?)

I am trying to find out whether you are implying the the judging would be biased based on the sponsor because thats one hell of an accusation to make.

Return to “Kitesurfing”