DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Big Dragon, Little Dragon

Postby DRAZ » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:50 am

Hey. Which North Dragon would be better suited. I weigh 75-80 kg, ride mostly flat water(not always), avg 15-25 kts. Kite is 14M. And as you may have seen(from another post) have big feet.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the shape(outline,rocker,etc) between the L and S?

Thx

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MadMick » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:53 am

The Dragon L is the one for sure.

your kite is not real big,but your feet are!

The "S" model is fairly extreme. It is quite narrow. Go for the wide model,it will be a much better all round board.

niko
Frequent Poster

Postby niko » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:24 pm

I would go for the smaller one.
It just depends if you do kiteboarding for longer or if you are a beginner.

If you know how to handel the kite you can go with 75 kg with the small board.

my opinion.
greets
niko

Carver
Medium Poster

Postby Carver » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:27 pm

I bought the Dragon S and Im very pleased with it..
I'm also having slightly bigger feet than my friends, but that doesn't seem 2 be a problem on this board as far as I have noticed..
About the rocker etc..
The board remains the same only the width changes with 2 cm..

Kitehouse
Rare Poster

Postby Kitehouse » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:41 pm

Boards are the same except 2 cm width.

This is not a flat water board (my opinion) ! Final destiny is waves and you should ride overpowered. It's in those conditions that you will appreciate the strong grip of the board.

I've got the S and I would like to go for another board for light wind and flat water. A larger board with 4 small fins, faster and more cutting edges.

If you want only one board: it's better to take the L (but keep in mind it's not a fast board <--- 8 fins).
If want want 2 boards: take the S and another....

Regards,
Kitehouse

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:29 pm

The L appears to be a flatter rocker. Place the S and L on the ground and compare. The tips of the S seem to rise higher.

I don't know anybody using 8 fins. Use 6 or 4.

4 is easier to ride. It gives a more forgiving ability to slip and slide when your technique is not prefect. With 6 fins you're full out powered with no eject button. My wife could not ride it with 6 fins. She used 4 fins. I rode it with 6 fins.

WRINKLY GIT
Rare Poster

Postby WRINKLY GIT » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:04 pm

A month ago I almost sold my set of Rhino 2's.constantly being overpowered in any gusts was starting to piss me off .That was until I bought a Dragon small.I weigh 86 kg and have used this board in winds ranging from 30 to 10 knots with 8m/10m and today, an 18m rhino 2.Boosting is amazing.You can edge hard enough to stall the kite,not possible on my old board ,a Fanatic raptor 139.I am well impressed and would not hessitate to recommend it.[none sponsered rider] :dance:

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:28 pm

if your just ride with one board,a good choice would be the defender 143 or 150cm it's more of an allrounder and will deliver everything you want from a latest design kiteboard,the strap and footpad set up are first class and comes with a full set of tarifa fin.co handmade fins which are generally recognised as the best on the market.the grab handle is an extra.

unless you've got a set of rhino2's and an additional lightwind board and are pushing the limits then you wont gain any extra enjoyment from buying the dragon boards which are only 135cm long.

if you have any doubts about purchasing the right gear for yourself,always go for mid-range such as toro2 kites and defender boards.

Petro9
Frequent Poster

Postby Petro9 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:42 am

Trying to find some answers still on this old subject, Dragon S or L?Search a fair amount on the forum...
I weigh 85kg, and ride the Rhino 2 size 12 and 16 in 14 to 22knots. Which one would be best, I am an experienced rider but I want a one board for all set ups!
Also what fins on the Dragons are people riding without????
THANKS a bunch in advance!!

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:59 am

Have the Dragon S, discussed with other S riders, all found the upwind ability not great and speed low. Gonna sell mine and go for the Jaime Pro 2004. Look at the North website.

http://www.northkites.com/2004/b_boards_chart.cfm

Return to “Kitesurfing”