Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

So what's the story Mel

Forum for kitesurfers
Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:36 pm

Fokiten, I suspect you don't talk that way to your mother? :oops: :oops: Please consider that my mother may be reading this too and please respect her for the lady that she is. Not all people have an appreciation for profanity.

Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But for the newbies, risk can be managed--not eliminated-but managed. That is the point most kitesurfers try to make. Wear helmets, discard board leashes, refrain from stormy unpredictable weather, wear a kite leash, keep safe distances, ect. If you truly believe that kite surfing is one hundred percent dangerous and nothing can be done to manage that fact, then you are truly a fool for participating in the sport. I feel the same way about jumping from airplanes, therefore i DON'T jump from airplanes. Get my point? And i didn't find profanity needed to make it! :bye:

fokiten
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:32 pm

Arcsrule wrote:Fokiten, I suspect you don't talk that way to your mother? :oops: :oops: Please consider that my mother may be reading this too and please respect her for the lady that she is. Not all people have an appreciation for profanity.

Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But for the newbies, risk can be managed--not eliminated-but managed. That is the point most kitesurfers try to make. Wear helmets, discard board leashes, refrain from stormy unpredictable weather, wear a kite leash, keep safe distances, ect. If you truly believe that kite surfing is one hundred percent dangerous and nothing can be done to manage that fact, then you are truly a fool for participating in the sport. I feel the same way about jumping from airplanes, therefore i DON'T jump from airplanes. Get my point? And i didn't find profanity needed to make it! :bye:
So hook your mom up dude, and tell her she can manage the risk,,and if she gets diged up or dead tell her fokiten thinks your an idiot ,,and she was a fool for having a polite respect for a monster sport ,, hey,, find a way to get a clue,, real is real,,,like it or not,,,So if you got a problem with what I say hook your mom up,,,,and see how it works out????ahhh,,your an idiot with a language problem,,,I have a language problem with you idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET IT ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I guess not,,so go hook your mom up!!!!!!! and get back to me!!! MR I'm so absoluty innune to danger,,,MR. I can Handle it,,MR. not me MR. pure,,MR,,arcsrule,,,
go hook your mom up ,,, DUDE if your so sure about this,,,,
if not,,,KISS MY ASS,,
fuc-wad

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:46 pm

Cool Big Smelly
Staying out of the major kite surf areas and not endangering others is key. You are progressing and no body else gets a board in the noggen or looses an ear. Your approach is the converse of the pack animal, look at me mentality that creates so much danger. The "go where the pack is" thing is wierd. Fun to kite with a few friends but when you mix 60 kites in a small area. We all love to jump, etc, but doing so in resonable weather and crowd conditions is what I was getting at. Just my mildewed brains hickup. The sport is inherently fun. Some people don't need to bust quadruple blind handlepasses over a rock jetty three feet of off a crowded beach to have fun. Back to the extreme shuffle board event at the Geriatric World jello days tour.
Be extreme but don't endager others....THat better? Milk toast my.......!!! I'm a vegan... Soy milk toast!! Was that your leg I saw floating by? NICE!! BE SAFE or we will end up disco dancing or using foul language again for fun. NNOOOOOOOOO!
Have Fun. Traig :thumb:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:49 pm

fokiten wrote:Hey,,,
ok you all,,, I can see this slippin back into satus quo,,,
Now one more time,,,I don't object to ricks work,, I object to his language,, quote>>>kiting can be dangerious,,, >>>>quote>>> kiting is potenially dangerious,,This language implies that you are safe If you follow the suggested guidelines,,,This is simply not true,,this little point pisses me off HUGE,,I wana fuckin kill this sloppy,,, fucked up,,, half ass ,,,no help at all ,,,,,fucking irresponsible,,,milk toast,,,,,>>> language<<<< from a guy who fucking knows better,,,OK?
As far as my (FOramiters go,,, f*** all of you who want to hide the risk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because you want to say we are safe now,,,I love you
Is that clear enough?
let me know
fokiten
This guy just won't go away, yet, but I am sure he will, again. It seems I have a heckler, who would have thought? Yet another unhappy childhood rears it's bizarre head and in later life too.

He obviously doesn't take what he says seriously, so why should we? I don't but amazingly some people actually do. If he was serious, he would give his name rather than hiding and tossing out poorly phrased, often inane insults from cover.

"HONEST", defined by Websters.com as:

1 a : free from fraud or deception : LEGITIMATE, TRUTHFUL
b : GENUINE, REAL
c : HUMBLE, PLAIN
2 a : REPUTABLE, RESPECTABLE

Gives multiple aliases, isn't truthful, humble or respectable and refuses to give his own name, sorry this fellow isn't HONEST, so WHY have some people made this conclusion? It totally escapes me.

I have talked more about death and actual fatalities than anyone else that I can think of on this and other lists. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I have tried to throw out ideas for avoiding EVER GOING THERE. Ignorance can be the most dangerous aspect of life and kiteboarding. Here's to bringing more knowledge and understanding to light in this great sport, to cut the avoidable injuries where possible.

As to promoting kiteboarding to new riders, what about ALL the magazines, manufacturers, retailers, THIS SITE and ALL OF US, everytime we ride in front of bystanders? Rick Iossi is going to make a material difference in bringing new riders to the sport? Highly doubtful and it isn't even a goal in all of this.

I do focus on trying to bring information from accidents, injuries and incidents to others in an effort to help raise hazard awareness and avoidance, while at the sametime trying to preserve access. What has this guy done, other than throwout vulgarity and near hysterical, unhinged diatribes?

Let the buzzing continue and even without minimal common respect, if it must. How about we all at least agree to keep the mindless, fantic vulgarity in check? Toby has built a marvelous place for us to visit. It would be nice to show adequate regard to him and critically to the rest of us by keeping some minimal standards of behavior. I don't expect reform from this individual but it would be nice for the rest of the forum to avoid overt encouragement, just as with an unruly child. Or toss this tripe into Flammer's Paradise, where other topics of minimal value can languish without derailing more serious, beneficial discussion among mature individuals?

Rick Iossi

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:20 am

RickI wrote: This guy just won't go away, yet, but I am sure he will, again.
It seems I have a heckler, who would have thought? Yet another
unhappy childhood rears it's bizarre head and in later life too.
Don't let it get to you, Rick. Hardly anyone takes him seriously except
himself. He may make the occasional comment about your regular posts
but by responding personally to him you'll just fuel the fire.

His main problem is one that you can't solve by writing anyway - it is an
inability to read and comprehend. I don't mean he's illiterate--he can look
at words and recognise some of them and even string one or two together
into something that resembles a sentence--but you write something
like "you'll can reduce (not remove) some of the risks of
kiteboarding by being aware of them and taking preventive action" and he
reads "you can make kiteboarding perfectly safe if you just know what
you're doing".

The sensible participants in any extreme sport (inasmuch as any
participant in an extreme sport can be considered sensible) understand
the difference.

Your risk management posts and databases are very informative and will
help, in fact no doubt have already helped, to reduce the number of
incidents resulting from ignorance of a particular risk.

"Fokiten" seems to be one of hopefully a very few who want to believe
that their chosen sport is so dangerous it is pointless to try to avoid
accidents - possibly a worse attitude that believing that it is not dangerous
at all.

There are plenty of kiteboarders out there who are perfectly capable of
interpreting the correct message from your posts and reports and using
that knowledge to try to make their participation a little less dangerous to
themselves and others.

Keep them coming.

Steve T.

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:38 am

rick ,big up for your efforts and knowledge on keeping our sport safer,you tag line "keep it low and go" is the most important of your contributions and i know of two bad injuries which would have been prevented had the riders followed these simple words on launch.

i would advise you and others to not reply to fokitens baiting,he is an evil minded individual whose warped and nasty utterings are best left ignored.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:27 pm

I wrote Steve T. for clarification, here is the reply:

Fokiten,

All I have to say is that I disagree with your apparent theory that there is no point in understanding some of the risks and using equipment and procedures that may have the effect of reducing the risk. Of course there is always a risk, even to the most safety conscious (as demonstrated quite well by Mel recently). If you think of all possible risk activities as being on a scale from "Totally Safe" to "Guaranteed to Kill" there's probably nothing much we can do to bring kitesurfing into the bottom two-thirds of that range - but we can, to some extent control where we put ourselves in the top third.

I don't understand why you read Rick's efforts as promoting a false sense of security in a dangerous sport - if anything they present the risks up front in all their gory details. Saying "Kitesurfing can be dangerous" does NOT imply that it can be made safe (which is what you seem to infer), no matter how you read it. It just implies that, with more understanding and some preventive action it MAY be possible to make it a bit less dangerous... but of course, no guarantees.

One thing I know for sure - when I started kitesurfing with some buddies there were no schools here and very little information about the dangers - and we were all damn lucky to survive. We got lofted over rocks, dragged and submarined with no way to disconnect. If we'd read something like Rick's database and known about the risks and some possible ways to reduce them we may not have put ourselves in quite so much danger in those early days - hell, we may have even decided kitesurfing wasn't worth the risk and just stuck with paragliding. On the other hand we may have use snap shackles that released a mile out and drowned in the currents - even safety has its risks.

If an individual takes Rick's KSI database and recommendations to mean he or she can strap on a leash and snap-shackle and never be in any danger or endanger anyone else, then they are reading Rick's database without understanding and that is not Rick's problem. (The language problem is his Steve.)

Cheers

Steve T.

my reply to Steve T. ;

Steve T,
No, Steve t. I say that kiting "is" dangerous by nature! and no safety equipment is going to change that natural set of facts.(ask Mel) Human nature is the worst, I spent about 800 posts trying to get you fools to understand and accept that fact (unsuccessfully) Do a search on "shit for brains" and you will see.
Rick wants to please everybody, (he is a caring soul) he is a caring soul in conflict.
Read our last encounter over his proposed promotional picture lemur and a rookie in bindings launching side by side? Lame? Ahh,, no cute. Get a clue Steve, Rick wants to grow kiting. Why? I do not wish to speculate. Finally every first week in kiting is the same for the new bee now as it was for you back then, you are alone with the kite and the wind etc. yes the info is good, God bless Rick, and no I am not going away till you admit kiting is not something to promote in mass. NO kiting is for us folks who seek the rush and my fight is to tell it like it is, if you are going to risk your safety then you deserve to know the truth.
The truth is kiting is dangerous by way of the nature in it and nothing you can do erases that.
I am here in the wings and I'm going to keep up my fight.
Thanks for your reply
fokiten

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:09 pm

Fokiten, that was well put and well written! :thumb: Your intent will be understood by all and not just deleted as offensive language. Way to go! :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye:

tallakt
Medium Poster

Mel's spot

Postby tallakt » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:40 am

Hi Mel,

Perhaps you could describe your spot Mel, preferably along with maps of
some sort, so that the rest of us can better understand why your spot is so unpredictive. This could help us in assessing our own spots.

get well soon,
Tallak

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:03 pm

Simply put, there's a steep hill a few hundred feet high, a couple hundred meters upwind of the launch area, & downwind there are fairly big, jagged rocks.

You could say it was the hill that got me, with the very turbulent wind it creates, but if not for the rocks I could launch further downwind from the hill, in smoother wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”