Forum for kitesurfers
tonycp
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Broken Foot, 3rd Ave, thanks for the help, guys

Postby tonycp » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:25 pm

(I've posted this already on foilpilot and ikitesurf, but i just discovered the amount of traffic on kiteforum - i'm posting again because i wanted to maximise the chance that my thanks to get back to the 4 kitesurfers who helped me out - i can't drive down to 3rd ave to thank them in person for another month or so... As for an update - the risk of infection from the open fracture is passed, my foot is plastered up and it's now just a patience game.)

===============
RE-POST
===============

Thanks to the guys who helped me out Wed eve with first aid and packing up my kite.

here's what happened and the outlook:

7pm, light wind - maybe 11 or 12 kts. Equipment: psycho 12.5, Wipika Eclipse board, helmet, retractable leash, wetsuit, booties. Overall experience level - maybe 30-50 hours on the water (plus awhol elot on land and under paragliders)

On the water, after a nice hour of kiting - i'm experimenting more with jumps and bringing the kite back to different points. but the jumps are still a bit hit and miss, especially the ones off 12 o'clock.

One of the jumps misses in that I take off without being properly balanced. I kick off the board, keep getting pulled ... but the retractable leash gets stuck at about 1 yard. the wipika whips around and the edge slams into my the side of my foot.

I sail in thinking i might have bruised my foot quite badly, but when i look down at the board, it is covered in blood. Open fracture, 4th and 5th meta-tarsals. several months off.

Thanks again for the first aid and packing up!

Tony

IRIE
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby IRIE » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:26 am

Sorry to hear about your accident Tony, hope your back on the water soon!

Return to “Kitesurfing”