Forum for kitesurfers
rb_stretch
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Amp 8.7 Top End

Postby rb_stretch » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:37 pm

Finally got to test my Amp 8.7 slightly overpowered and did not like it all. I found that when you adjust the chicken loop depower it only works to a certain point, whereupon the back lines become extremely slack (so that you cannot steer), but the kite still has too much power.

On my Hydro's and Airblast you can depower literally until the kite luffs and falls out the sky. I would say my old Hydro 9 had a much better top end than the Amp.

Is this typical for the Amp?

Is there any other way of getting more top end?

Since I was overpowered on my Amp 8.7 and underpowered on my Hydro 7 at the same time, something seems wrong.

RB

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:57 pm

It certainly has less depower. Then you have to work with your board.
What's your weight?

rb_stretch
Medium Poster

Postby rb_stretch » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:08 pm

I'm 90kg, which is why I'm surprised that I reached the limit.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:18 pm

That should be plenty of weight.

Perhaps you just like more depower or you never killed the power of the kite with your board.

I would have liked a little better depower too, but I'm only 65-70kg. My mate is 75kg and thinks it has enough depower. He even uses the AMP5.5 in strong and gusty winds.

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:42 pm

you bought the wrong un,like most people this year,the only real answer is to find a retailer,who really knows what he's talkin about and knows what kite you need,not what you think you want.unfortunately most shops are staffed by gromms who just repeat the manufacturers sales blurb and are happy to punt you whatevers in the shop.
next time before you buy,the best option is to ask a lot of questions on this forum and be real sure,your getting the best kite for you before you shell out your hard earned buck.

rb_stretch
Medium Poster

Postby rb_stretch » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:50 am

Sake - I probably do like sailing depowered, but I was definitely edging hard to bring the kite to the edge of the window. Once I forced it to the edge I was barely moving, but it was still pulling hard.

Similarly, when I was on the beach I found that with the kite at the side I was being continuously dragged. I could barely get to my board with the kite in the air.

It is almost as if the front lines are attached too far back on the kite, hence not allowing the kite to pitch forward when depowering.

I will try to get to grips with it a few more times when overpowered, to see if I can improve my technique, but it will be scary with so much pull.

RB

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:26 am

Yep, at a point it won't depower anymore and keeps pulling. But that's when you really overpowered. With me that's happing when say 25 knots with a AMP11.9 or 30 knots with an AMP8.7. But I'm only 65-70kg.

With you that would be with even more wind.

Because of this I will probably switch from an AMP7.1 to a Hydro+ 6.9 (and Hydro+ 4.8 )

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:53 am

wipika still make the AirBlast, I think the Amp is a gruntier kite that fits inbetween the Hydro and AirBlast....

john.e.boy

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:11 pm

kjorn wrote:wipika still make the AirBlast, I think the Amp is a gruntier kite that fits inbetween the Hydro and AirBlast....

john.e.boy
So right... :thumb:

rb_stretch
Medium Poster

Postby rb_stretch » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:06 pm

Sake wrote:Yep, at a point it won't depower anymore and keeps pulling. But that's when you really overpowered. With me that's happing when say 25 knots with a AMP11.9 or 30 knots with an AMP8.7. But I'm only 65-70kg.

With you that would be with even more wind.

Because of this I will probably switch from an AMP7.1 to a Hydro+ 6.9 (and Hydro+ 4.8 )
Makes me wonder if something is wrong with mine?? It was less than 30knots and I have a good 20Kgs on you, so I should have been quite comfortable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”