Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

not in c abarete

Postby PH » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:32 pm

I am not in cabarete.....
....so....
I am just informing people on what's out there and on what an who is riding what!

Aloha

SOLIDKB
Rare Poster

Hula Hoop For Practice not for contests...

Postby SOLIDKB » Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:24 pm

There are many sports that require comitment. Nearly all the top pro bmx or skateboard riders use foam pits or resy ramps to initialy learn a trick. I give aaron credit for comming up with a great way to learn the feel of a handlepass, Now as for contests, it would not be very exciting to watch a Pro rider perform a great trick only to stick it into a foam pit, or to watch a wakeboard contest on a trampoline. It takes comitment to do a handlepass in a contest without this system. You have to give up the security and simply go for it. I still give aaron credit for boosting handlepasses with his system. But for contests its all comitment and feel, you either have it or you dont.....Take the hoop off!!

Keep it simple and safe!!

Pete_W
Medium Poster

Postby Pete_W » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:02 am

Where abouts in hawaii is that pic? it looks distinctly like somewhere in SE Queensland Aus

Sick, regardless of where it is though.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 10/14 Enduro v3, Zephyr V6, Edge V10 10M, Alpha V1 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:14 am

Nik_KiteAntigua wrote:Posted: 28 Jun 2003 06:58 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure this will offend many people but please take it as best as you can as an objective view:

All these gadgets including shackles and board handles (Aaron's hula hoop being the absolute most rediculous example of a gadget) just emulates what happened to windsuffering by becoming a nerdy equipment intensive sport.

I dont care what you ride; twin tip, wake, directional, mutant, inflateable, ram, etc. but please dont cheat by using gadgets. Stick to the truth:
1) a handle pass is only a handle pass when you are not connected to the bar other than using your hands........that is it.
2) a board off/varial is not one unless you are grabbing the rail...that is it. "no door knobs, no leetle hooks, no velcro...can you handle.........can you handle da truth?"
3) shackles are for people who can't handle the real world (e.g. kiting unhooked).

Nik
Hi Nik
I hope you take my criticisms of your arguments well, ok?

Kitesurfing is not "windsuffering", never will be, please do not use, "it happened in windsuffering so it will happen in kiting" as a justification for any of your arguments regarding "gadgets" or the evolution of equipment that makes kiting safer for the masses. Besides Inspector Gadget is my hero!! :o

Cheating is knowingly doing something that is against the rules. Aaron DID NOT do this so he DID NOT CHEAT.

Truth, yeah its out there, but it is often different for different people, IMO. Truth is based on your beleifs, if you beleive something then it is true for YOU, but it is not logical that it is the same for everyone, is it? So,

Point 1 - Aaron passed the bar from one hand to the other while it was behind his back, he definately did a handle pass, end of story.
Point 2 - There has been no official ruling about this as far as I know. The disappearance of handles is more driven by riders trying to make things harder for each other within the comp circuit IMO.
Point 3 - The real world I live in has people in it who would never kite with anything other than a shackle/permanently attached to the kite. The comp circuits are the real world too, but it is more of a world within a world, for those that must compete and win titles. They choose to live and compete, and a lot of what they do to each other has no use to a great many of us that kite for casual fun, so each to their own.

If any of your arguments are based on kiting without a leash, then you are not living in the real world, just a selfish world in which you are the centrepiece!

naufragado
Rare Poster

Postby naufragado » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:00 am

First of all: Toby, nice pic. of Tobias. A rare instance of when a kiteloop should truly be scored in a comp.

Second: about the points made by Nik_KiteAntigua...

1. Hell yeah, I agree with you 100%, my shoulder is still hurting from handle-pass commitment and I wouldn't have it any other way especially because the satisfaction from nailing a mobe or slim chance can only be gained if it's done without the hula. The loop is supporting the rider's body weight so he is really doing nothing more than an S-bend or tricked out back-loop with a twist to allow for the handle pass--it is not end of story. But remember, as far as I know, this kid is only 14 years old so keep in mind that he will be kicking all of our asses by the time he is 21 (likely without the gadget as lame as it is).

2. Handle dependency depends alot on the weight of the board. A sponsored rider with a lightweight throw-away custom board can do a lot more rail tricks than anyone with a production board. I admit, I am handle dependent because I am still riding a 2001 heavy directional with multiple repairs (anyone want to donate for the new board charity). Anyway, plain and simple, kitepower, again I agree with Nik. Rail tricks are a lot harder than handle tricks because you have to really focus upon what you are doing with the board. The Kite-flying and jumping has to be automatic. Hey, no cheating; everyone is watching.

3. Who ever said that riding unhooked meant riding without a leash? For example, look at the pictures on previous posts of Hamish McDonald. Also, Vari is wearing a leash in his comps even though he never seems to miss.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:11 am

Nik_KiteAntigua wrote:Posted: 28 Jun 2003 06:58 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure this will offend many people but please take it as best as you can as an objective view:

All these gadgets including shackles and board handles (Aaron's hula hoop being the absolute most rediculous example of a gadget) just emulates what happened to windsuffering by becoming a nerdy equipment intensive sport.
Windsurfing is what you make of it, just like kiting. It can be anything you want it to be and is NOT defined by what Nik_KiteAntigua thinks. If you dont like shackles, board handles etc, dont use them. But dont have an attitude with everyone else who does.
Nik_KiteAntigua wrote: I dont care what you ride; twin tip, wake, directional, mutant, inflateable, ram, etc. but please dont cheat by using gadgets. Stick to the truth:
1) a handle pass is only a handle pass when you are not connected to the bar other than using your hands........that is it.
2) a board off/varial is not one unless you are grabbing the rail...that is it. "no door knobs, no leetle hooks, no velcro...can you handle.........can you handle da truth?"
3) shackles are for people who can't handle the real world (e.g. kiting unhooked).
Nik
Are these the rules of the "truth of kiting" as defined by Nik_KiteAntigua?

You seem to be very narrow minded. Why dont you tolerate other styles and abilities that may be different than yours without telling them they are wrong? A little tolerance in the world would solve so much.
You negative attitude makes me want to stay away from Antigua. You should burn a little weed before you log on, maybe you wouldnt be so negative and judgemental in your posts.

Happy kiting,

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 10/14 Enduro v3, Zephyr V6, Edge V10 10M, Alpha V1 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:19 am

naufragado wrote:First of all: Toby, nice pic. of Tobias. A rare instance of when a kiteloop should truly be scored in a comp.

Second: about the points made by Nik_KiteAntigua...

1. Hell yeah, I agree with you 100%, my shoulder is still hurting from handle-pass commitment and I wouldn't have it any other way especially because the satisfaction from nailing a mobe or slim chance can only be gained if it's done without the hula. The loop is supporting the rider's body weight so he is really doing nothing more than an S-bend or tricked out back-loop with a twist to allow for the handle pass--it is not end of story. But remember, as far as I know, this kid is only 14 years old so keep in mind that he will be kicking all of our asses by the time he is 21 (likely without the gadget as lame as it is).

2. Handle dependency depends alot on the weight of the board. A sponsored rider with a lightweight throw-away custom board can do a lot more rail tricks than anyone with a production board. I admit, I am handle dependent because I am still riding a 2001 heavy directional with multiple repairs (anyone want to donate for the new board charity). Anyway, plain and simple, kitepower, again I agree with Nik. Rail tricks are a lot harder than handle tricks because you have to really focus upon what you are doing with the board. The Kite-flying and jumping has to be automatic. Hey, no cheating; everyone is watching.

3. Who ever said that riding unhooked meant riding without a leash? For example, look at the pictures on previous posts of Hamish McDonald. Also, Vari is wearing a leash in his comps even though he never seems to miss.
G'day Naufragado
Why should kite loop tricks not be scored in a comp? Or do you mean just jumping and doing a kite loop, no spinning or tricks, should not be scored?
Why?
I think a 30'+ jump with a kite loop with rider airborne in the opposite direction of the riders travel before liftoff, should score highly in a comp of any level.
What do you think, if you understand me?

The argument about level of difficulty of certain wakestyle tricks will never end, its part of the culture that drives that sport, but kiting is not wakeboarding, even though at times it looks real close. There are too many combination moves now that people will never do behind a boat, and there are things like a deadman or a Vari style combo front to slim chance to backspin and land toeside or blind that you just do not do behind a boat.
So I reject all arguments about gadgets, its a new sport, its evolving, we need open minds or we will miss out on stuff that is fun and has the potential to make the sport safer and more exciting.
Let the judges and other competitors decide what is legal in comps, in my opinion.

Personally I would mark down riders who appear to go from flying a kite, to doing stuff that they could be behind a boat doing, to flying the kite again. Even if the kite flying is "automatic", if it is not done with a focus on synergy of the kite, boarder and trick, like if it has no flow.
Someone else made the comment on another thread I think, that slim chances look a bit untidy behind a kite?

I agree Aaron does not have to wear the hula to do handle pass moves, but everyone needs to wear a least a leash if they kite around others, members of the public. A leash to the handle on the bak of your harness is all you need to learn to deal with.
He will probably be kicking arse when he is 21 if these rings are allowed in comps as they will help prevent the terrible shoulder injuries that will occur to people that insist on doing them unhooked, in my opinion.

WouT
Rare Poster

Postby WouT » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:39 pm

yooo

he didnt cheat look:

'in a controversy over whether the judging body realized young Aaron was wearing a 'harness ring' when scoring his handle passes, a re-match was run''

info: http://www.cabaretekiteboarding.com/new ... /day3.html

aaron is just verrry good :wink:

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:17 pm

the "hula hoop" does not make the handlepass easier it just prevents innocent bystanders from being endangered by runaway kites when the trick is messed up. the young dude should be applauded for his innovation.

its hard to know any other sport who's boundaries are being pushed so fast and hard by its participants.heap your praise on these guys.

FD
Rare Poster

Postby FD » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:41 pm

The reason Aaron has the "ring" i because he's young and his muscles and bones are still growing but ok because he had some much s**t on his head from other riders he decided to take it off next competition...
the other reason why he put it on was certainly not to start to cheat like some people see it but he was in South africa and didn't want to run after his kite every 5 min... good excuse...!!!!
But no worries he's going to kick ass anyway, he already is doing most of his handle passes without it!!!

On the other hand now some riders are going mental about a handle on the board, i'm sorry to say this but the top guys from now are really good in handle passes but there're absolutely crap in board off jumps and you can judge me as old school now like some of the riders do but i like to see a high technical board off jump...so i don't care what they say but if it's all about handle passes and nothing else more i think some people should concider going wakeboarding as i think that the reason most people started kiteboarding was because they could jump high and in no other sport you can do it!
and now if you jump high you suck and you're not cool anymore in some peoples eyes!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”