Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kitesurfing in MD? (new to sport)

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:08 pm

Just had a couple lessons of this very addictive sport down in NC and I'm thinking of buying a rig. Problem is, I live in Maryland, USA. (just outside of DC)

What are my kitesurf/boarding options in this area?

I'm just wondering if it is worth investing in a rig and the best size kite and board to buy considering the wind in our area. Rumors I've heard are that this isn't a great area and the wind is lighter and gustier, better for sailing. However...I don't always believe rumors :) and if there are places around here to windsurf ? there must be places to kitesurf.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
-todd

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitingkt » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:32 pm

hi todd,

try calling east of maui in annapolis maryland or http://www.eastofmaui.com. they will have some good suggestions.

about an hour and a half from you is dewey beach, DE. that is a great spot to kite and much like hatteras with shallow water and no waves or chop.

kt

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:28 pm

thanks, kt.
yeah, i suppose dewey should work for a weekend and i'll have to check out the east of maui site at that location.

any other suggestions for afterwork (or late afternoon) options? Getting to and driving to route 50 can be a very trafficy commute from DC- but it is no different from me driving out to Somerset, PA for deep powder when a good snowstorm is in town....but its also nice to have something close to home. :thumb:

i heard that they do windsurfing out of Gunpowder Falls State Park in White Marsh, MD. what are the conditions like there?

thanks again,
-todd

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:33 pm

hey toddjb123,

i went to gun powder years ago and from what i remmember, it was very gusty. lots of trees all around the river. not sure about launching and it is quite narrow.

for an after work session, the best i can suggest is sandy point state park on the chesapeake bay.

kt

ROLAVI
Medium Poster

Postby ROLAVI » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:53 pm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M-A-K-A/

This group is by and for kitesurfers from D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, N.C and anywhere the heck else who want to join, talk, eat and sleep kitesurfing!

check files for a document outlining DC kite spots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”