Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Full KITE LOOP with the FS Titan 15.5!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Ted B.
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Full KITE LOOP with the FS Titan 15.5!!!

Postby Ted B. » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:54 pm

Guys I did not think it was possible with such a large kite,especially with a Foil.But yesterday was my 37th birthday and my maiden voyage of the 15.5 Titan,the wind gods blessed me with a solid 10-12 knot breeze which ended picking up to 20 plus knots.I was having such a good Time that I got all stoked up and was trying some new Transitions,one Time I pulled the bar wrong and the kite performed a loop.Instantly the light bulb turned on in my head.So I made a full atempt on my switch side(left foot forward)I would just get alot of speed and pull super hard with my right hand almost pointing the bar at the kite and go into an indy back role and the kite would do a full 360 degree rotation and be heading back up before landing.I landed 1 720 and 2 360's clean,all where about 10 -12 feet high.With the wind picking up I tried a 4th was over 20 feet high and looped the kite and made the landing but broke my footstrap and my harness but I landed it,and I think I am a couple of inches shorter!!The Titan turns very well and at 220 lbs(100 kilo)it had me having alot of fun at 10knots.With the wind picking up the jumping started to get unreal hanging you there like the Psycho and setting you down super soft.If you try the loop make sure that the depower strap is pulled about half way in that makes the kite turn faster.And don't try it super lit be moderately powered!!!!!!After flying the 15.5 I can't wait to fly the 18-21 Titan.We rule the lite wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TED B.

White man can jump!
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby White man can jump! » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:30 pm

Sounds like you had fun! Was this your first kite 360? The feeling is incredible isn't it? After doing it, I realized it wasn't as hard or scary as I was imagining in my head. I also agree to do them moderately powered, the force generated from the kite going through the power seems unimaginable if I was overpowered. Maybe a year from now I will think differently about that.

Have fun! And congrats on doing it with such a large kite!

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:03 pm

Hey Ted, I'm afraid you'll be soon asked to proove it... :roll:

BTW, I think the Titan is a great kite.
I believe the Psycho 9.5 can be a kite looper, as I can make
it fly in eight in the middle of the window, with the short line conf. (20 m.),
but I'm far from the sea now, and I won't try that with a MTB :o

A video would be cool !

Congrats again,

O.

Jurjen
Medium Poster

Postby Jurjen » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:57 am

Nice, thx for this posting, i think we can all have a good laugh as soon as pmu comes online, looking forward to it :thumb:

Are you sure you're not making a kitespin? (as Chris Calthrop explains in his kiteloop with blade article)

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:43 am

I'd be surprised if a genuine kiteloop was pulled with a kite of this size, particularly a ram air.

It is more likely that a "kitespin" was performed.

If a genuine, 360 degree loop, similar to what Bertrand Fleury pulls in Zero 3 etc, was performed, I take my hat off to you.

But we would all like a bit of visual reassurance... Got any footage?

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:43 am

Kiteloop is becomming a standard move, here in Denmark kiteloops ruled the best trick competition i klitmoller 2 weeks ago - all kites were 16-18 metres and the are easily looped during a jump

check this video with micro mads looping his x3 - he got 2nd in best trick with this move with 16metres in around 10 knots of wind

http://kitesurferen.sommernet.dk/kiteloop.mpg

Thomas

Ted B.
Medium Poster

Postby Ted B. » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:26 pm

Guys please explain the difference between a kite spin and a kite loop.

The trick I performed the kite started parallel to the water like a no flick wake style trick and while I did a Grabbed Back role I would pull super hard with my Right Hand(Rear hand) Making the kite Role 360 degrees Clockwise and head back up for a super hot and fast landing.I did the Trick Left foot forward... Ted B.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:53 pm

Hi Ted, I'd say a kite spin with a foil is when you stall one tip and make the kite spin around it, if the kite turns fast enough you can make it spin in the same place with not much power, your bar will have to be set up so you can overbrake the kite to do this. A kite loop imo is when the kite flies a loop, sounds to me like you pulled a loop.
:thumb:

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:05 pm

If you spin a 15.5 meter foil, then i call it a loop! :thumb:

Cheers,
Roert

Kite-Line
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Any
Gear: Anything we sell is tested by myself and our team.
Brand Affiliation: All major brands

Postby Kite-Line » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:43 pm

Either way, Kiteloop or Kitespin, you still rock Ted pulling off something like that with a huge bus in the sky!

Keep it up!

Return to “Kitesurfing”