Forum for kitesurfers
STF
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Torro 2 Question

Postby STF » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:41 pm

Ok i got to try my torro 2 16m in good wind finally 15-19mph. Heres my problem. In order to fly the kite and keep it in the air i have to be in the depower loop, when i am not in the depower loop the kite falls out of the sky. Whats up with this? how can i fly the kite with out being in the depower loop cause when i am in the depower loop the bar is so high that i cant reach the center straps to adjust the power. And also the turning is not as good when i am in the depower loop. Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance STF.

gero
Rare Poster

Postby gero » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:49 pm

shorten the frontlines.

it´s that easy
cu
gerald

Medium Poster

Postby 69 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:07 pm

Hi

i have the ToroII 8 ,12 and 16m

it hapend the sameting to me the firts time that i fly my 16m.

you must redoo the nock in the bleu line so you can reash the bar in fool depower.

then you must ajust the brake lines, i use the second nock.

remember that the toro 2 the brakes lines are loose.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:56 pm

What? Can some one explain this a little better please. I do i shorten the lines? thanks STF

Ramo
Medium Poster

Postby Ramo » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:11 am

2 issues: 1) it comes set up for a neanderthal with very long arms so you need to shorten both front and backlines lines which involves shortening the chicken loop (pull about 15 cm or so through the bowline knot attached the depower strap) and also the backlines using the adjustment knots on teh leaderlines. 2) the kite is prone to oversheeting so you may want to err on shortening the chicken loop by more than the back lines at first.

I have it setup so that if you attach the end of the lines to something solid and lay them out then the bar is halfway down the chicken loop when pulled (moderately) tight and the depower strap is half depowered.

In addition the chicken loop itself is fairly bollocks especially if you have an early version (since recalled) with the foam cylinder. Either way you may wish to repalce this with a more compact version with a better release (IMHO the North one is distinctly dodgy under pressure- just try tying it to something and releasing with your full weight on it.)

Hope this helps but your local shop have probably been through this with a few customers and can show you more clearly on the ground.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:28 am

It seems like your bar-lines need some trimming.

In some extend, how you set your lines is a personal preference. If you like to ride out of the trim loop, you will need to adjust your lines so the four lines are the same lengh when unhooked. (or hooked in with the loop resting at the bar). With this setup your kite will stop flying backwards.

A good option could be pull the trim strap a bit (1/4) when setting up. This way you will still have some strap to play with when you ride hooked in.

A kite flying backward is showing too much back lines tension.
The T2 will fly at maximun power when you see the wing tips near parallel or a bit closed at the trailing edge.

The depower stroke for this kite is short, 20 cm is enough. Your bar will not be too far with this setup.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:14 pm

Ok Guys there is no kite shop here in Chicago that can help so i want to use the micro adjusters and shorten them? how much should i pull them in? to shorten the depower loop line do i just pull it through the hole on the bar and then knot it? I shorten the leading edge lines or the trailing edge lines? Sry i am an idot rookie but this shit is confusing me, i have been self teaching myself and can fly the kire but all the fucking lines and micro adjusters and the other crap has got be confussed. So mabey someone can try again to explain it,, How do you shorten the lines?, i dont cut them do i? I use the micro adjuster..right or no? Pull the blue line through the hole on the bar and then knot it so i can reach the freaken depower straps? What the hell Norths instructional manual sucks Dick, thanks again STF.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:26 pm

STF wrote:Ok Guys there is no kite shop here in Chicago that can help so i want to use the micro adjusters and shorten them? how much should i pull them in? to shorten the depower loop line do i just pull it through the hole on the bar and then knot it? I shorten the leading edge lines or the trailing edge lines? Sry i am an idot rookie but this shit is confusing me, i have been self teaching myself and can fly the kire but all the fucking lines and micro adjusters and the other crap has got be confussed. So mabey someone can try again to explain it,, How do you shorten the lines?, i dont cut them do i? I use the micro adjuster..right or no? Pull the blue line through the hole on the bar and then knot it so i can reach the freaken depower straps? What the hell Norths instructional manual sucks Dick, thanks again STF.
OK, I will try again.
First: untie the depower rope (blue) from the trim strap and re-tie it so the lengh between the bar and the trim strap is around 20 cm. Doing this you will be shortening the front lines a bit.
Then tie these front lines to a fixed point and check that both lines are equal lengh. If not, adjust until the are even.
The back lines are tied to the side leaders. These leader has several knots to adjust the lengh of the back lines. Tie the backlines to the same fixed point where you have tied the fronts and check the relationship between fronts and backs. The four lines must be the same lengh when unhooked from the trim loop with the trim strap pulled in by 1/4 of its lengh.
The microadjusters are there for small adjustments when lines stretch a bit. You could replace this microadjustes with a plain leader line with some knots as you found on any other bars.
I hope this helps you.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:14 pm

Thanks Herera for the help i will give it a shot, when i untie the blue line what kind of knot do i put back in?

Gerard
Medium Poster

Postby Gerard » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:26 pm

Hi STF.....I am the North reprasentative here in Chicago....you can give me a call at 312-804-5482. I can gladly try to help you with your problem...it is obviously just a line adj. problem.

Gerard
http://www.chicagokiteboarder.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”