ARC Safety

Forum for kitesurfers
menright
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby menright » Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:56 pm

I am really looking for some advice from those that have flown Arc kites on bars. Having mainly flow on handels the safety system is simple. Let go of one handel. Kite flattens out in sky. On a bar I have been told that the safety leash should be attached to two lines on one side of the kite, at least half a kites length from the bar. Does this mean I will have to use lead lines on the bar about 3 to 4 metres long for a 630.I intend to attach the safety leash to the point where the flying lines attach to the leaders. Will such long leader lines effect the performance of the kite at all. Thanks Mark

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:04 am

My leash is attached to the front line only and it floats down like flag every time with no pull or spinning at all. A back line will make it spiral. One front line is larksheaded to a steel ring. The other front line passes through the steel ring and is larksheaded to another steel ring. to that ring I tie the leash which is clipped to my harness. Since there is no pull to the kite, I use very lightweight nylon for the leash. that way if it were to tangle with a massive out of control LEI, the weak leash line will break and totally free me from the kites. the bar will slide most of the way to the kite without a stop on the line. just larkshead on a ring or a stopper ball a kite span up to solve that problem.
Phil

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:31 am

I just attach the leash to a backline. The length of the backline- lead lines and the bar length together should be nearly the spanwidth of the ARC. I used 2m lead-lines. Works fine. Better solution could be applying a sliding ring solution to the backlines. I wouldn't rely to a ring-solution on frontlines!!!

Greeetzz Louis

petertyso
Rare Poster

Postby petertyso » Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:02 pm

There has been a lot of discussion lately about safety leashes and snapshackles. I've been experimenting with some of these different setups, but the leash setup described by arcsrule is the one I'm most comfortable with. It has worked every time, just floats down like a flag with no spinning.

pluvious
Medium Poster

Postby pluvious » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:43 pm

my system is the same as phils, front flyline to ss ring, through another ss ring to leash line.

one danger, though, is the leash line becoming tangled with the loose end of your sheeting strap. this could spell disaster as an tangle will impeded the free travel of the leash. put a clip on the loose end of the sheeting strap, and, once your lines are adjusted (the fronts are usually 6-8" shorter than the backs) simply clip the loose end of the ss to the opposite side leader line. this will prevent all tangles and works great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”