Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is this a good beginner set to kitesurf? What size kites/bo

Forum for kitesurfers
1993 Light Speed Probe GT
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 1993 Light Speed Probe GT » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:13 am

I am what I would consider a intermediate wakeboarder and excellent water skiier. I have had a 2 m trainer kite since september which I feel very confident with and have the How to Rip beginner instruction video which I've watched about 4-5 times. There isn't anywhere for lessons in the Detroit Michigan area and I feel I have given myself enough time and patience learning with the equiptment & instruction video I have. Keeping in mind I am a Wakeboarder would this be a good package to start with? I want a wakeboard style kite board too.

2001 Liquid Force kite
Should I get the Liquid force switch twin tips(This is their new board)or pickle fork classic (which size board would be good for a intermediate wake boarder or am I still considered a beginner.)
Also would Liquid Forces ultra suction bindings be good and safe for the knees or would something be better for safety and performance?

The reason it is all Liquid force is because I would be getting a package deal if I bought all this. If you guys say it is good for beginners I am in.

Also, in Michigan the average wind is about 8 mph on small lakes (best estimate) and at one beach it was determined that it averages 8 knots at there. I weight 185 lbs. What size kite and board do you recommend. Sorry for all the questions I just am new and don't have anyone to ask!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:21 am

Hi,
I cannot recommend you to start kiting with bindings. Kiting is different to wakeboarding,
even if the boards look similar.
Thisl

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:05 am

i use the lf rythm 1.34 ... works fine :wink:

what wake do you got?

it's much harder to learn kiting with a wakeboard. the ultra suction's the one with the straps, isnt't it?
it's important that you can entry and exit the board one handet and without soap.

you should try and get hold of an old, blasted directional board for about $100 for your first lessons and then sell it again.

IMHO you need more kitepower than a kite-newbie can handle.
i had experience in buggykiting, windsurfing and wakeboarding when i started, but i had no idea how to ride my 9m tubekite in 6-7bft - always used it in 4bft .... . . .

the LF flight kite is ok for beginners ...

hwenn
Medium Poster

Postby hwenn » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:17 am

Greetings!

I'm an expert wakeboarder and sailor, and in the beginning without help, kiteboarding was a lot more difficult than I thought.

From experience I can tell you kiteboarding is a lot easier with a dedicated kiteboard.

Especially being in a light air area the small volume and width of a wake will limit your kiteboarding days.

The easiest kite I've ever used is the naish aero but I think the north toro with a directional board will be your best bet. It sounds like you'll need a big kite, I would try a 14.

Good luck

Henrik

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:40 pm

Dude. with 8mph winds you will need a huge kite and huge board. Learning there will be tricky because of the very light conditions. In 8mph you will never ever ride a wakeboard unless its 3 feet thick. You will need a top performing kite in the 18-20m range at least. That makes it very dificult to relaunch/ launch and learn on. Even if you were the best wakeboarder in the world it wouldn't matter... learing there with a wake will be like trying to wake behind a boat doing 4 mph. Torture. Get a huge board because you will always need it in 8mph winds then find the most powerful light wind easy to relaunch kite there is. If its smaller than 18 or 20 you won't go anywhere. Sorry.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:27 pm

uuuuuh,
i didn't see the wind ...
8kts is a very tough one.
if there are stable conditions, you'll need a very big foil like the flysurfer warrior 16.5 to get started. this one will relaunch from water in these conditions without an experienced kiteboarder working the bar.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:38 pm

That was an average of 8 mph ~ 6.8knots. Think about the low speeds? The best thing you could do would be to go somewhere windy to learn because otherwise you will be miserable trying to relaunch and learn.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:36 pm

8 mph average windspeed you should stick with wakeboarding!

I'm serious.

Rare Poster

Postby 1993 Light Speed Probe GT » Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:57 pm

How about a Naish A3 17 m kite? I don't have a boat anymore to wakeboard on that is why I wanted to try this. I talked to a windsurfer who said we get 8-10mph winds average when she goes out. She told me not to plan on going out because the winds aren not around always. If it is a windy day drop everything and go. You all will laugh at that, but that is the truth and what I am dealing with. She does windsurf a lot though. Any more suggestions?

Rare Poster

Postby 1993 Light Speed Probe GT » Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:05 pm

Also I an not going to use my wakeboard for my boat, I was going to buy the biggest wake style kiteboard. SO you are saying this is still to small? I want to be able to flip sides of the board. I think I need more suggestions on the best relaunchable kite that is the best in light winds any comments on that?

Return to “Kitesurfing”