Cabrinha Kite problems

Forum for kitesurfers
robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:39 pm

My Cabrinha 11.5 CO2 (2001 model) recently exploded while sitting on the beach while I was unwinding my lines. I had inflated the leading edge and the kite was sitting there for about 10 minutes. It was not very warm at the time and I do not think that I overinflated the kite (I usually underinflate iniitally). The back seam exploded with a "pow" and the leading edge seam zippered from the center strut to the midwing strut. The bladder has a large tear/hole that is irrepairable. It will be a big repair job. I am trying to get warranty support from Cabrinha. I already had to replace all the original bladders becasue they leaked.

Has anyone else had problems like this with the Cabrinha kites. The kite was barely used, never slam crashed, and in overall excellent condition. Very aggravating since I am now down to one kite with no specific answers from Cabrinha yet.

PLease email me at rvillate@msn.com if you have any useful information.

Thanks..and good riding

Roberto

newcastle-UK-kite
Rare Poster

Postby newcastle-UK-kite » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:36 pm

Hi Roberto!

I also got problems with a cabrinha co2 from last year (6.6 it is). Took on a holiday to the Netherlands from some friends of mine with me. When I first wanted to inflate it one of the rear tubes (the middle left one) lost pressure. As I was new to kitesurfing I went to a shop there and they told me that the cabrinha tubes from 2001 where a piece of .. and that cabrinha would replace them at the dealer where the kite was bought. I tried to fix the leaks but there where so many of them that it didn´t work out. A set of tubes would have been 80 Euros at the shop there, but I didn´t get them as there wasn´t enough wind for the small kite anyways.. .
Go to your dealer and ask him for a new one, I guess cabrinha did something about it until now, as nearly everyone with last year´s kites has got the same kind of problem.
Good luck with it. (The kite I bought myself afterwards was NOT a cabrinha..)
see you flyin´
Juergen

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:10 pm

Juergen,

Thanks for your reply. Cabrinha did supply me with a whole set of new bladders for both kites free of charge. The problem I have right now is that the fabric seam on the back side of the leading edge gave out "catastrophically", resulting in a 120cm opening and an exploded bladder!

I also own an 8.5 CO2 with new bladders and it is holding air just fine. The only thing I don't like is rolling up the wingtips in 4-line conversion.

Thanks again...ride on

Roberto

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:47 pm

There are 2 common problems that make kites blow up for no apparent reason.

One reason is the kite was sewn with stitching that was spaced too closely. This sewing error will make the kite blow appart like a zipper opening up at the stitching. These are manufacturing problems that were common in older kites with fishing line in the seam.

The other reason is an unseen scratch or cut in the fabric that weakens the kite. When a small cut blows out, it can make a massive hole.

In my opinion, the kite company will look at where the failure came from, a bad sewn seam, or in the middle of a panel. If it came from the middle of the panel, then it did fail because of an unseen cut or scratch in the material. In that case it's your fault and not the manufacturers.

Nayone
Frequent Poster

Postby Nayone » Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:21 pm

bought 2 2001 kites & bladders keep going,normally the seals round the valves. sometimes only a slow leak that lasts the session if u r lucky.
One burst while on the beach, but think it touched something that was sharp, a shell or something that only needed to touch the bladder under pressure & pow. Fixable with a bit of tape.
Flexifoil do a good bladder repair tape, a sort of strechy selotape.
lets hope 2003 will be better for the black tips!!

ciao

Alex

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:41 pm

Alex & Dwight,
Thanks for your input. My kite did blow out along the seam, and yes there is fishing line inside the seam. There are no cuts or abrasions on the fabric that could have weakened the fabric, where the bladder wold have hemorrhaged. So I am surmising that the seam failed. Now I am worried about my other Cabrinha 8.5 CO2!! because of this potentially fatal manufacturing flaw.

You learn something new everyday with this sport, sometimes good and sometimes bad things. But it is still the best rush Ive had.

Kite safe and all the best

Roberto

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:02 am

As far as I know, Cabrinha accepted the faults with the bladders and continue to replace free of charge and should fix any problems you have in this regard. They have been pretty good with this.

Don't bother with the 2003, it might even be worth looking at the 2002 when the 2003 are released as you should get them at a reduced price. The 2002 were considered to be some of the most durable when they were released and the best of the 2002 kites prior to the release of the X2. The 2002 have awesome durability, the bladders are strong, and the inflatable boat style valve on the leading edge is a bonus. They turn quicker than the 2001, have multiple attachment points, carbon batons etc.

All the manufacturers have had some problem or another with testing new materials etc. Seems that Cabrinha was unlucky in having it on the bladder (wipika had delamination probs etc), but they have been very good in replacing. Some of the other 2001 kites came with the new style bladders after cabrinha realised they had a problem. Maybe get a dealer to check it out (on the basis that you are going away on holiday and don't want the bladder to burst there)

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:57 am

On 2002-08-15 09:02, MissionMan wrote:

The 2002 were considered to be some of the most durable when they were released and the best of the 2002 kites prior to the release of the X2.
I have to disagree with part of that statement. The 2002 is a durable kite, but NOT "the best of the 2002 kites prior to the x2".

I would say it was one the worst of the 2002 kites for flight characteristics. When pushed to their upper end, the 2002 is the worst jellyfishing kite of all the 2002 brands that I have seen. It has the newer style kite balance that helps reduce the times it falls, when you stuff a jump, but that's the only thing it has in common with other 2002 kites. In 2003 I'm sure they will finally catch up with the other kite companies that did figure out how to stop jellyfishing in 2002. Unless you get them cheap, there are much better flying 2002 kites out there from other companies.

If you have never seen one flown at the upper end, then you may not know this. We have one local sponsored Cabrinha rider who always rides his kites at the upper end. His constant demonstration of these jellyfishing machines, has kept all locals from buying them.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:33 pm

My statement was taken from a test on sickair.co.uk, as I haven't ridden many other kites so I cannot really compare, however I was referring to durability and not the performance. Different people look for different things in kites hence, and each kite has its pro's and con's. If that wasn't the case, everyone would be winning comps on one particular type of kite.

"Both the Black Tip and CO2 kites share the same construction materials and methods, both of which are the best I’ve seen out of the new ’02 kites. "

The onyl problem that was picked up was the following, so not sure about the jellyfishing part, but apparently a lot of people underpump their BT's. Most of the guys who ride them recommend you pump them to the max to get the best performance out of them:

"So far the only problems I’ve had with the 9.4 is the Carbon tip breaking, but it was stuck in a pounding shore break in Tarifa for about 10 minutes while I recovered and got out of by bindings from a hasty high-speed wipe out. " although this is apparently solved on the new models

"Other improvements to the Black Tips since I got the Pre Productions include attachment points for a reverse launch bridle on the 9.4, 12.2 and 15.5. All the kites now have “shore breakâ€

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:28 pm

your first problem was buying a 2001 kite.
Your second problem was buying a cabrinha.

Return to “Kitesurfing”