Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

UDS kicks ass in the gusts!

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

UDS kicks ass in the gusts!

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:53 pm

Hi all,

I have just had one of my best sessions ever in strong gusty winds in Hurghada. 10m Rhino 2, 30+ knots.

Colona Watersports have a Naish UDS system for demo and now it was my turn. An instructor told me to start riding unhooked and so I did, nice feeling, it is quite fantastic how the kite turns when so much depowered, it must have something to do with the center line not being there through the bar. The back lines seems slack but still the kite turns even faster than when hooked in.

Riding hooked in is just as normal riding with my own bar, the difference occurs when the gusts hit. With my normal bar I was really struggling the previous days becasue my kites are quite grunty and it is easy to become overpowered and do the downwind race. With the UDS, just hook out, and it is easy to hook out, a short pull is enough, and then you have all that extra depower in hand.

I thought it would be hard holding the bar only in my hands but no, the center leash line takes a lot of pull and it is easy to adjust power and steer with your arms only, almost no effort.

The system is excellent for toeside and blind riding becasue you can go arms fully streched out and still have full control one handed. For jumping I hook in to get max power and multiple rotations is no problem, the bar spins back easily and there is no twisted lines to deal with. Unhooked jumps are also quite nice, especially fully streched out raileys etc. I still have some to learn about unhooked normal jumps.

In all, this system is nice, I would say a worth while upgrade for any kite, guys have been out on it here on SS and Wipikas, myself North and of course Naish kites and it seems to work good on all kites.

If you can, try it out, it's an eye opener!

Cory

Guam Bomb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Guam Bomb » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:24 pm

HOW ABOUT RELAUNCHING WITH UDS :?: DAVE

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:40 am

I've been riding with a "free" bar (like an unhooked UDS) for a couple years now & agree that it's better, especially in gusts, strong, or light winds (relative to the kite size). I recently tested a "classic" sliding bar with my own familiar kite, & felt that it really hindered performance & "feel", especially when it was light, strong, or gusty. These systems may be of little advantage to those lucky enough to always ride comfortably powered in steady winds, but for the rest (most?) of us they're great.

JBo
Medium Poster

Postby JBo » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:45 am

Cool system I think? Just view the video UDS system on the Naish website. But I'm still not sure what the excitement is about. Isn't the system more or less adding more depower 2x's (100% more). If that is the case, one question comes to mind why can't you just add more depower line to the chicken loop and add an extra strap to extend the arm's reach? Also the spinning leash safety is no better or safer than a spinnable shackle by lets say........a system by ADVANCE. LIGHT BULB just went on......perhaps unhooking immediately fully depowers the kite without having to pull on the depower strap and allow you time to recover until you depower - that's it! Sooooo, why am I not excited with this sytem?....at least not yet.

Fluid Sports
Rare Poster

Postby Fluid Sports » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:49 am

DAVE SA

The system works very well for relaunching. From a fully sheeted in position, you hook out and push the bar away from you. This provides sufficient slack in the lines to flip the kite over without swimming. A pleasure. THen the kite is in the normal position to re-launch safely from the edge of the window and not straight downwind like some other systems.

Regarding the other comments, this bar system does indeed come as seperate components including the Depower / UDS strap, the Spinning Leash, trim line & QR Loop and the spreader bar.

Unlike a shackle, the system deploys the safety systems from an ergonomic position and releases each time. IT is a VERY safe system incorporating a QR Loop, Re-ride wristless leash system and you can rid yourself of the entire kite, and bar in one move!

Wave riding is insane with the UDS and provides a large amount of freedom from the kite.

As you can see, people who have used the UDS are super stoked, so I suggest trying one as soon as you can, then you will see what the fuss is all about. Most people cannot get their heads round it until on the water with it. If you are in SA, get in touch with me and we can arrange a free demo.

Wicked!

O.B.B
Rare Poster

Postby O.B.B » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:48 pm

JBo,

Light bulb correct, that is truly one of the advantages with UDS.

Why are you not exited? I bet you will be after a ride on it. I was the same until I got on the water riding it.

Best set up for me; ride with the kite fully powered when hooked in and bar is sheeted out. Use sheet in for over sheeting the kite.

Hook out for immediate HUGE depower and a completely different feel in riding. I found myself going unhooked all the time these days. Hooking in for fully powered jumps only.

Dave S.A - Relaunching, as Fluid says, it helps with relaunching and makes it easier due to the extra length of the front lines when hooking out for relaunch.

Obb

Santa
Frequent Poster

Postby Santa » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:25 pm

What about Handlepass, will there still be power in the kite for that move, or is it at all possible to make a handlepass with the UDS system???

Michael

White man can jump!
Medium Poster

Postby White man can jump! » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:50 pm

Cory,

Are you saying you can unhook using this system? My understanding was that you couldn't and I ride and jump unhooked. Please tell me I am wrong because I would like to use this system.

When you unhook, does the leash get in your face? For example when doing unhooked Raileys?

Thanks

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

UDS availability

Postby Dax » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:25 pm

Anyone know about availability dates and cost?

smartin
Rare Poster

Postby smartin » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:55 pm

As of two weeks ago, it was supposed to be available in the continental USA by the end of September. According to http://www.kiteproshop.com/shop/naish/m ... ybars.html
it costs:
UDS System complete 249,- Euro*
UDS System only 169,- Euro*

"System only" comes without the control bar, so you use your existing one. According to http://www.xe.com/ucc/
169 Euro is $189 USD (United States Dollars)

Return to “Kitesurfing”