Forum for kitesurfers
sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:29 pm

fact... closed cell foils have more materials, take longer to make and cost more to make than leis' so of course windwing are going to try and sell you leis for the snow, they make more money from them and they are easier to design than a quality closed cell foil.

closed cell foils do not rely on air pressure to maintain their shape, thats what the bridle is for, once you have a big foil inflated and flying even in 5-6mph there is more air going into the inlets than there is creeping out of the vents and stitching.

inflatable kites do not perform better in extreme light wind, they are easier to steer to keep in the air due to the huge weight of the leading edge, thats all. if you tie off an lei and somethign like a g-arc of FS voodoo, the lei is going to fall out of the sky first as its weight is centred along the leading edge and the tips, so as soon as it starts to wander to one side, its gonna nose dive.

windwings are trying to sell leis on land by saying their relaunch system removes all the problems people have with leis. which is a crock, lei's a re a pain in the arse when its cold, foils are easy to carry, inflate and stow, and thats why people use them, they are better suited to the conditions, regardless of whetther they are actually better flying machines.

islandgirl
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby islandgirl » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:03 am

cyclone wrote:You guys/gals above are in a minority... good on you for being different though!

Yeah right...... The Majority Leader of kite Boarding!!!!!!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:58 am

KGN wrote:Big blimps go in 5 knots in snow fine.Put up a 20 mtr blimp on the snow and away you will go.

I'm surprised that 20m kites aren't fun to pump up in cold weather..... I know after pumpin up my 20m AERO that I'm really hot and super eager to get into some nice cold 30 degree celcius water....

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:00 am

sq225917 wrote:fact... closed cell foils have more materials, take longer to make and cost more to make than leis' so of course windwing are going to try and sell you leis for the snow, they make more money from them and they are easier to design than a quality closed cell foil.

closed cell foils do not rely on air pressure to maintain their shape, thats what the bridle is for, once you have a big foil inflated and flying even in 5-6mph there is more air going into the inlets than there is creeping out of the vents and stitching.

inflatable kites do not perform better in extreme light wind, they are easier to steer to keep in the air due to the huge weight of the leading edge, thats all. if you tie off an lei and somethign like a g-arc of FS voodoo, the lei is going to fall out of the sky first as its weight is centred along the leading edge and the tips, so as soon as it starts to wander to one side, its gonna nose dive.

windwings are trying to sell leis on land by saying their relaunch system removes all the problems people have with leis. which is a crock, lei's a re a pain in the arse when its cold, foils are easy to carry, inflate and stow, and thats why people use them, they are better suited to the conditions, regardless of whetther they are actually better flying machines.

Interesting to hear how C Quads go in the snow.... anyone tried them in the snow?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:07 am

islandgirl wrote: Yeah right...... The Majority Leader of kite Boarding!!!!!!

Cyclone is right IG... foils are a minority. In windy places you don't need a light wind kite like a foil. No-one uses bridled ram airs here in Auckland. I only use C Quads for buggying and as backup kites when my LEI kites break.

As for Peter Lynn ARCs etc.... they aren't the same as bridled foils.....

Lightwind in my definition is anything under 10 knots. 10-15 knots is good enough for most LEI kites to get you goin in.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:16 am

cyclone wrote:B/A maybe your right about the ligh wind stuff, i never go out in light wind so i dont know... WTF would you want to go out in light wind anyway...boring...

Well its only been 1 day and the results of the this discussion in the form of the poll i started in another thread are already clearly indicating that LEI are more preferred OVERALL for water use.

Perhaps i cant explain well enough why, but LEI are just better suited to surfing THUS FAR for the majority of people at the start of 2004. Maybe this will change in the future and when it does, ill be flying whatever rules the roost. I have no quams about foils just coz they are foils, i only bash kites that ive tried and dont like.
10-15 knots is heaps of fun... but under that tube kites can start droppin like flies if it lulls. For kickass you really need 20 knots and above... this is where I'll be sickin with LEI kites.......
cyclone wrote:Blown Away, id think very carefully about buying a peter lynn, i had a GARC 13m and the x2 absolutely shits on it, make sure you test it many times first.
I'm only gonna get peter Lynn for 10-15 knots... where the antiluff and autozenith bisso can be handy for the "be a psycho and do some insane crazy crap" sorta moves.

For the same stuff in 25 knots I'll be stickin with LEI. In "Windsurfers Christmas" winds of 35+ the 8m AERO II is living proof that the small kites are getting nice and slow... so maybe kiting might start being truly accessable over 30 knots.... handy for Spring :hangloose:

Ismo
Medium Poster

Postby Ismo » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:09 am

BLOWN AWAY wrote:

"Interesting to hear how C Quads go in the snow.... anyone tried them in the snow?"

I used 4.2m2 and 2.2m" C-Quad 4 winters in snow, Last winter I used Psycho and now I'm using Guerilla.

Psycho/Guerilla is better because you can use same kite in summer (water)
C-Quads are difficult in gusty winds, P/G are much better in gusts
jumping is much easier with P/G
P/(G) have bigger windrange

C-Quads are really cheap and powerful kites, and if you don't kite in summer(water) those are ok

SOL
Medium Poster

Postby SOL » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:18 pm

@pump me up

Why paragliders are not made with LEI?? If they would be aerodynamicly better....

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:09 pm

comon pmu you've been pretty quiet lately... we need your wisdom man.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Ram Airs Crash in 2003

Postby PullStrings » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 am

:hut:

Return to “Kitesurfing”