Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dingoes stole my babies

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dingoes stole my babies

Postby fokiten » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:31 pm

In light of the resent loss in data, and that we as a community—do have pressing concerns and are prone to believe our own bull shit... Let's review:

To preserve our access to ride:

1. we must keep a much lower profile: no more lame promotions
2. since we are the problem, we do not need even more dick heads with kites
3. we already jump on swimmers
4. crowd kite like assholes
5. show-off for our own glory
6. pull our shackles like pussys
7. and bash our heads into stuff and die
8. in short we cause all the trouble.

On instruction:

1. talk is cheap
2. the beach is where the bad shit happens
3. trainer kites are lame
4. first lesson should be a full-sized kite, in good wind, in deep water
5. kites are our best instructors
6. The idea of lessons is to root out the misinformed—not baby cake a new-bee to the big slam by sheltering a novice from at least a medium ass-kicking right off the bat.
7. we really do have enough walking dead with kites already.

These points have already been made. I list them again for your review.
We do need to get this right or face the end of legal kitting.

fokiten
Last edited by fokiten on Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PH
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PH » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:37 pm

nice one!

:thumb:

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:00 am

Oh Fok.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Dingoes stole my babies

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:46 am

fokiten wrote:In light of the resent loss in data, and that we as a community—do have pressing concerns and are prone to believe our own bull shit... Let's review:

On instruction:

1. talk is cheap
6. The idea of lessons is to root out the misinformed—not baby cake a new-bee to the big slam by sheltering a novice from at least a medium ass-kicking right off the bat.

fokiten

...... so you're saying that we should immediately start attempting kiteloops in 30 knots the first time we attempt kitesurfing.

Mmmm that could be fun... if anyone's keen on learning that way I'll be mannin the camera for some kickass wipeouts....

mmmm 40 knots NW and rain and thunder 2 morrow.... mmm mite try fo's theory in nice crowded mission bay..... :wink: :wink: :wink: could be fun slammin into the side of those container ships.

http://www.geocities.com/blownawaykitesurfing

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:38 pm

Very intersting phrase. and very true!
We only are in trouble if we misjudge the power.
But it is hard to say that beginners should take the real stuff tolearn it the hard way.....I think to learn on a small to get a feeling for it is good, since too many mistakes are being made at the beginning.
Maybe the mistakes will be less when using real stuff since the pain will be more, but the likelyness of getting a lot more injuries is given.

Maybe the right combination will do?

Greets
Toby

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:03 pm

Review:

Rick: "be careful out there".

Fo: "we shit fo brains".

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm

Toby wrote:
Very intersting phrase. and very true!
We only are in trouble if we misjudge the power.
But it is hard to say that beginners should take the real stuff tolearn it the hard way.....I think to learn on a small to get a feeling for it is good, since too many mistakes are being made at the beginning.
Maybe the mistakes will be less when using real stuff since the pain will be more, but the likelyness of getting a lot more injuries is given.

Maybe the right combination will do?

Greets
Toby
Thanks for your reply Toby,
In my limited experience with taking new kiters out in deep water with a right sized kite in good wind:

They start out cautious, get slowly braver, then get some good air and crash the kite, this repeates a few times and then either they say I'm done with this, or pick up on how it goes and start flying with style.

I have never had one try and launch without asking for advise first, or take the kite for granted.

This is a huge safety plus! Plus the kite did the lesson and the lesson could not be ignored!!!!

The Big reality is this, if you kite you ARE going to get slammed anyway, for sure, no doubt about it, so WHY not be up front and use the kite to impress the novice that kites are not a joke, but a serious power source that demand respect or they will kick your ass,

PLUS, the novice learns when and how and why the power spikes, this lesson alone would haved saved the last guy from dying.

Kiting is not a pussy sport, I see no advantage in sheltering a novice from pain when it can and does make the right impression!!!!
every new kiter needs to have the facts crystal clear,,, respect the power, get out if you see it comming on land because you know from experience that it is not a joke.

This makes perfect sense to me, if I'm missing something let me know.

fokiten

fokiten

Re: Dingoes stole my babies

Postby fokiten » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:00 pm

BLOWN AWAY wrote:
fokiten wrote:In light of the resent loss in data, and that we as a community—do have pressing concerns and are prone to believe our own bull shit... Let's review:

On instruction:

1. talk is cheap

fokiten

...... so you're saying that we should immediately start attempting kiteloops in 30 knots the first time we attempt kitesurfing.

Mmmm that could be fun... if anyone's keen on learning that way I'll be mannin the camera for some kickass wipeouts....

mmmm 40 knots NW and rain and thunder 2 morrow.... mmm mite try fo's theory in nice crowded mission bay..... :wink: :wink: :wink: could be fun slammin into the side of those container ships.

http://www.geocities.com/blownawaykitesurfing

My opinion of you is starting to drop, I don't know what you hope to gain from being stupid?
Hope you return to normal soon.
regards
fokiten

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster

Postby Sylt Rider » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:18 pm

Fokiten wrote:

(and)

There will always be a need to learn from experiences other made. In other words, I doubt that the guy who gave his kite away without leash witch then caught the kite of Silke Gorldt did not have enough experience or was misinformed. She died in this terrible accident because they did not know that a leash is a must. This was over a year ago.

In Florida (Jupiter) they still promote competitions without leashes!
All competitors are experienced and well informed! They just want to say that the sport is safe...and sometime after a dozen more death maybe they will get a leash too, just short before the last beach gets closed ...

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:55 pm

Sylt Rider wrote:Fokiten wrote:

(and)

There will always be a need to learn from experiences other made. In other words, I doubt that the guy who gave his kite away without leash witch then caught the kite of Silke Gorldt did not have enough experience or was misinformed. She died in this terrible accident because they did not know that a leash is a must. This was over a year ago.

In Florida (Jupiter) they still promote competitions without leashes!
All competitors are experienced and well informed! They just want to say that the sport is safe...and sometime after a dozen more death maybe they will get a leash too, just short before the last beach gets closed ...

Merry Christmas Sylt Ryder,
You seem to be making my point for me, meaning our biggest threat is not lack of knowledge but lack of brains.

Please notice that the leash issues is unquestioned by me.

Also as time goes by the realization that we are stupid by nature is becoming more and more difficult to ignore.

And to be clear it was the lack of ability to respond by Silke to the power of the kites and the proximity of the leash less kiter all of these things point to one undeniable conclusion, To paint kiting as an exciting new sport that >can be dangerous is the subtle lie posted on the gate to the slaughter house.
We are not safe we are delusional.

We not only lack the gear we lack the reflexes to respond in time, when WE create the situation, we place everybody around us in danger because we believe our own bull-shit we believe we >CAN react in time and are safety first kind of guys, this of course is bull-shit.

We are f***-wads with delusions of being good will ambassadors!!!
Might as well face it and tone it down before it's too late.
fokiten

Return to “Kitesurfing”