Forum for kitesurfers
jeff nelson
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5.5amp, or 6.3 ab

Postby jeff nelson » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:47 pm

Trying to finish a three kite quiver.
Currently riding 11.9 amp and 8.4 ab. I like the amp because it is a powerhouse, but i like the airblast because it has a huge range. The 5.5 or 6.3 is going to be my smallest kite and I want something that will be the most practical.
What do you think?

Thanks
:thumb:

ulrikmailand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ulrikmailand » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:49 pm

go for the AMP 5.5

Excellent kite, in my opinion maybe even the best AMP at all

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:08 pm

AMP 7,5 is brilliant, AB is not.

AMP 7,5 was my favorite in 2003...go for it, U wont regret! best small kite from all brands in 03

Thomas

jeff nelson
Rare Poster

Postby jeff nelson » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:02 am

Thanks for the response. how early will the 5.5 get me going. Is it about the same as the 6.3?

The other question
Should I throw in the towel on the 8.4 and get the 7.1 Amp. Would there be too much of a gap between the 11.9 and the 7.1? I like the 8.4, but the amps are much more up to date.

Thanks again

:thumb:

RadE
Rare Poster

AMP 7.1

Postby RadE » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:48 am

I had 11.9 and a 7.1 in 2003, there is nog gap between the kites. When I get really overpowered on my 11.9, I can start using the 7.1 . A 3th kite would be more confortable, but its a usefull 2-kite quiver.

RadE

Life's a beach

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:59 am

hi alsbirk

i am currently looking for a small kite (7.5) as well.

now as i like the scoop2 11.5 very much, i was thinking of getting a wook 7.5.

above, you said that the amp 7.5 is the best of all small kites.
did you compare it directly with the wook 7.5? in what aspects is it better than the wook?

regards

mede

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:56 pm

Mind you the AMP7.1 and 5.5 have a lot of power.
Great kites, but you have to like that. I have an AMP7.1 and I've flown the AMP5.5 several times.

I'd say I would like some more depower. 72kg. The AMP7.1 is too good a kite for me. When the wind was blowing strong > 25 knots I did not dare to fully set for a high jump. Just scary :o

A wook 7.5 or 9.5 would be much more relaxed especially for a leighter rider.

Try it first if you can.

I will swap my AMP7.1 for a more relaxing kite but still high peformance like a Matrix 7, 8.5 or Wook2

My mate who has an AMP7.1 and 5.5 LOVES them.

Shamikaze
Medium Poster

Postby Shamikaze » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:03 pm

I ride AMP 11.9 - 8.7 - 5.5.

Wind-range is great and get's me going from 10 knts -> 35 knts as a maximum. More then that and the lift of the AMP makes it so that I can't get into the water safely.

For wave-riding, the AMP 5.5 ain't the best small kite around, but if you want sensational HIGH jumps, this is you kite.

Also even the 5.5 does have the "AMP-tendancy" to dive LE first if you screw up a landing badly. Apart from that, great kite to live with.

GReetz,

S.

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:42 am

Hello guys

I use my AMP 7.5 (5.5) up to 40 knots now problem, but staying in control is really a matter of technique. The AMP 7.5(5.5) and 9.6(7.1) are my absolute favorite kites ever - they are much better than the huge AMPs which I find to grunty for my style, the smaller ones deliever extreme hangtime, superb handling and are excellent for going really fast and hard - they are excellent for looping both in waveriding and in aereal manouvres. I totally disagree that the AMPs are not suited for Waveriding, I find them excellent as they turn on a dime while maintaining a consistant pull + they deliver an predictable amount of pull that you can always feel through the bar which is exactly what you need to be able to smash the lip of a breaking wave with full throttle. Just remember if you go waveriding, pick a small AMP - you don't wanne pick the same sizes as others might do - I often use the 7.5 when others are on 11.5 ScoopII types of kites with plenty of depower. And I can promise you that the speed of such a small kite gives som extreme advantages in waveriding compared to the guys that has to stick with their huge kites.
I must admit that the AMPs in general are hard to control on softrailed boards like a mystery - It was first when I got my Catman 142*33.5 (I don't use it anymore as I broke 3 of them in 3 months :-() I was able to fully beeing able to get the benifit of the AMPs. Is really important to keep the Amps low when it is windy and it takes a board that can really edge hard if you are overpowered.. .this positioning allows you to go really fast with full control, but requires some board-skills. The AMPs powerfull profile will take you high and give much more hangtime than most other small kites.

So just remember; pic a relatively small AMP compared to what other guys are using, don't worry you will have plenty of power still. Use a narrow, edgy board and keep the kite low to better absorb gust etc.

I personally believe that the AMPs could use more depower for sure, but again in 2003 they have marked completely new standards for good handling a kite can have in aspects of turning speed, power output in turns, hangtime without using a HUGE foil and predictabillity of the kite through the feeling of the bar.

I have seen many AMP riders using by far a to huge kite, just try the next time you are out to pick the smaller one, get going - and as soon you get some speed, you will have all the power you will ever need.

best regards

Thomas

ox
Medium Poster

Postby ox » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:19 am

Thanksk to all of the replies.

With the 11.9 would you go with
the 7.1 and 5.5
or the 8.7 and the 7.1
or i guess even the 8.7 5.5

I thought I heard the that 8.7 and 11.9 have a pretty big overlap
but then i would think the 8.7 and 7.1 would be an overlap too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”