Forum for kitesurfers
KGN
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Eskape Backcountry Depowerable foil

Postby KGN » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:36 pm

Anybody used these kites?Paticularly the 5mtr?Whats their wind range like,and can you use a standard(kitesurfing) bar with them?This is for snow and possibly buggy use.I can get the kite cheap..so what do you think?

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:54 pm

Get yourself the 7m Spirit or Vodoo from Flysurfer instead. More depower, faster turning, more stability and can be used on the water too.

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:40 pm

How much do the voodoos cost?Compared to say..Ozone frenzys?ARe they available in canada yet?Whats the wind range?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:23 pm

the windrange on the voodoos is pretty big, theres an awful lot of tinkering that can be done to achieve a perfect set up for any conditions from the marked bridle adjustments.

its nice to see someone offering a kite that finally allows some of the benefits of foil design to stand out. the minimal bridling on these babies is ridiculous when i first saw it i though half was missing.

i'd expect the spirit would come in about £50-75 more than the frenzy. but its a hell of a lot more kite.

blow out valves, watertight, vent zips, multi point bridle set up, full carbon quality bar, reverse launch and spinning leash system and a decent rucksack that will take several kites and a board.

dollar for dollar i doubt if there is any kite that offers better value for money versatility and performance.

and i ride leis'.

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks,I will have to check them out.I ride blimps too,but today its -20 without windchill,and i dont feel like blowing them up!Maybe a 5m spirit and a 10mtr voodoo would do it?Can anybody comment more on the difference between the spirit and voodoo?Both good quality and same windrange??

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:31 pm

Wish I had a couple to compare.

The infos say that the Spirit is the same Voodoo design and durability, except with less expensive heavier materials.
So the Spirit is supposed to be the econo version of the Voodoo to help entry level flyers.

Besides KiteForum.com, and the Flysurfer sites (including Flysurfer-USA), http://www.foils.nl and http://www.foilpilot.com/ are excellent places to find more details.

LEIs are awesome, I prefere my 15.5 in 14-22kts in the surf,

AND on the FOILs side, I have to give great respect to Flysurfer quality.
I still fly a 2001 Mastair 16 in 8-14kts (on the water, not land) and I'm amazed at the aviation standard durabilty, built like a paraglider wing.

The MA16 has atleast a couple good seasons left, but I could sure use a Titan 18.5 or 22.5 for the coming summer NW Florida light wind duldrums.

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:50 am

KGN -
Ted B is the rep for US and Canada you can PM him for shipping Q's.
The spirit will come in 4m, 7m, 10m and 14m.
The voodoo is the same size, but no 4m.

I have not ridden one, but the flysurfer kites seem to get better by miles, not feet every year.

Nukin

potters
Rare Poster

Flysurfer in Canada

Postby potters » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:41 pm

I have a shop in Edmonton, Alberta and currently stock flysurfer kites. There is actually a Canadian Distr. of flysurfer kites. Mike Dowie from kiteboarding Canada is the canadian distributor. We have already sold a number of spirits and voodoos and the response has been great. I have flown the old phsycos and maniacs and have now had a chance to try the voodoos titans and spirits. The new kites are way better and take care a lot of issues the old kites had (turning speed and stability). If you have any questions you can drop me an email at wind@potters.ab.ca or we can be reached at 780-421-1575.

Andreas Dahle
Potters Surf Shop
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:18 pm

i would also suggest you try an Ozone Frenzy if you have a chance to demo one. They are very nice on snow and have great windrange and depower. They have a 2004 out, so you may be able to snag a deal on an 2003.

I like mine (7.3) alot on snow and land though it really shines when the wind is clean and not spiky rotors and gusts.

Several days of single digit temps here (cleveland area) means the resevoirs and lakes will be solid enough for some pow pow this weekend hopefully.

Return to “Kitesurfing”