chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Big Nasa Wings 32sq for extreme light winds under 5 knots

Postby chemosavi » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:32 pm

I am curious to know if anyone has tried to use a nasa wing in winds under 5 knots and what their experience was like kiteboarding with it. I have a small 4 sq nasa wing that is flyable in 2 or 3 knots and generates quite a bit of power at those wind speeds and have noticed they are available in sizes up to 32 sq. which theoretically would generate plenty of power to get a person planing in sub 5 knot wind. ( with all due respect to PMU) The kites are cheap (1/4 the cost of an lei) and pack down to sandwich size bags.

I have just learned of a 243lb rider from Texas who uses a 32sq nasa wing to kite in extreme light winds : details hopefully forthcoming........

KGN
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby KGN » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:34 pm

That would be interesting to see.I know they have used them in arctic expeditions.I would imagine at 32mtrs it woundt take much of a gust to knock you on your ass!

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:48 pm

Might be good for cruising downwinders but I have seen people trying to kiteski and buggy with nasa wings in good wind and they seem to have a hard time getting upwind.

I think they are maybe not effecient enough at the edge of the window for jumping and riding upwind on the water, but then again I have no experience flying them myself.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby randykato » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:37 pm

the newer ones are a little better, but still don't perform that well at the edge of the window. i don't think a single-skin, frameless foil really could approach the performance of the kites we generally use.

the nasa wings are fun though. they're more of a strong-pulling downwind kite. for example, when we're flying 16s for kiteboarding, i can put my 3.4m npw9 up and it will have about the same pull at overhead neutral as my 16m lei. and when swept through the powerzone, it's got plenty of pull for 200+ pounders to scud down the beach at a pretty good pace - and it's a blast for light guys like me (130 pounds).

they are cheap (and there are lots of plans available for people who want to make their own), and a lot of fun, but i don't think they're really for kiteboarding - with the exception of maybe these super huge ones for ultra-light wind. i'd love to see/try that!

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:25 am

The 243 lb gentleman got back to me and says that his 32sq m nasa wing is VERY slow at the edge of the window in light winds and is very difficult to do anything but go downwind in. He did speak highly of a 10 sq NPW7 and a 15sq npw7 nasa wing and their better abilities at speed and up-windability. He said that he could relaunch the big wing if he could touch the bottom and that he knew of people who had attached foam to the wings to aid in their relaunchability from water.

*MARK
Rare Poster

Postby *MARK » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:52 am

http://groups.msn.com/AmericanKiteBuggi ... lbumlist=2

Dont know about kitesurfing with one but certainly impressive seing the thing come down the beach. MARK

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Big Nasa Wings 32sq for extreme light winds under 5 knot

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:32 am

chemosavi wrote:I am curious to know if anyone has tried to use a nasa wing in winds under 5 knots and what their experience was like kiteboarding with it. I have a small 4 sq nasa wing that is flyable in 2 or 3 knots and generates quite a bit of power at those wind speeds and have noticed they are available in sizes up to 32 sq. which theoretically would generate plenty of power to get a person planing in sub 5 knot wind. ( with all due respect to PMU) The kites are cheap (1/4 the cost of an lei) and pack down to sandwich size bags.

I have just learned of a 243lb rider from Texas who uses a 32sq nasa wing to kite in extreme light winds : details hopefully forthcoming........
Nasawings are OK if you don't mind going downwind, you will never get upwind with them, a very skilled buggier might be able to maintain a broadreach with the NPW version.
Have a fly of one, the immeditate thing you notice is the very narrow wind WINDOW = poor upwind performance.
Good cheap fun, easy to make, best use is dragging down the beach or bodydragging downwind.

*MARK
Rare Poster

Postby *MARK » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:19 am

[quote="kitepower
Nasawings are OK if you don't mind going downwind, you will never get upwind with them, a very skilled buggier might be able to maintain a broadreach with the NPW version.
.[/quote]

???? I ride a dirtsurfer when on land(not me in the picture) and I dont use nasa wings but a couple of the guys on buggies do fine with the nasa keeping up with the guys on ozones, flexfoils libras etc on beach runs and out between the dunes. Or were you talking about on the water? Anyway if I recall that day in the picture had a little bit of side to the onshore winds and he was getting back and forth on the beach even in a fart of wind with 35 meters. Oddest thing with that black 35 is he was not rolling much faster than a brisk walk and the kite was parked. MARK

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:34 am

*MARK wrote:[quote="kitepower
???? I ride a dirtsurfer when on land(not me in the picture) and I dont use nasa wings but a couple of the guys on buggies do fine with the nasa keeping up with the guys on ozones, flexfoils libras etc on beach runs and out between the dunes. Or were you talking about on the water? Anyway if I recall that day in the picture had a little bit of side to the onshore winds and he was getting back and forth on the beach even in a fart of wind with 35 meters. Oddest thing with that black 35 is he was not rolling much faster than a brisk walk and the kite was parked. MARK[/quote]

Hi Mark
I don't want to argue mate, I am only going on my own experience with the kite, and over 15,000klms of buggying behind me.
If your mates are not able to whip the guy with the Nasa, then they are not experienced. The Ozone Razor is one of the fastest most upwind foils ever made, so far.
The main thing is that you are having fun!

*MARK
Rare Poster

Postby *MARK » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:43 am

[quote="kitepower
Hi Mark
I don't want to argue mate, I am only going on my own experience with the kite, and over 15,000klms of buggying behind me.
If your mates are not able to whip the guy with the Nasa, then they are not experienced. The Ozone Razor is one of the fastest most upwind foils ever made, so far.
The main thing is that you are having fun!

I probably shouldnt have said keep up as it implies speed. Meant to imply they are able to take the same angle to the wind as the others for the most part. You were saying that a "skilled buggier might be able to maintain a broadreach with the NPW version". Total nonsense based on what Ive seen as ANY buggier could maintain a broad reach with a NASA. I imagine they dont have shit for a profit margin though. MARK

Return to “Kitesurfing”