Forum for kitesurfers
Matt.Woods
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

big kites for big fella in lightish wind

Postby Matt.Woods » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:00 pm

I have got a 20m storm 2 and to totally honest it is a good kite but i find i need at least 16 knots to get my ass out of the water. I have tried super big boards but there are boring and difficult to jump with. I want a kite that will get my 120kg frame up and planning as early as possible. I like the idea of the 30M naish V4 but i can't find any reviews or places to demo it anywhere. I'm not even sure if it is in England yet. Are there any other big monsters out there that are grunty enough at the low end of the range. I just don't want to miss half the summer again like last year with those 15 knot constant winds.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Matt

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:47 pm

You could try the 25 mtr gaastra phoenix. :bye: Have seen the 21 in use,really nice kite.I think there is someone on this forum who uses the 25.

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:05 pm

Theirs only one kite that realy has the low down grunt Rhuno 2 20. Don't go the R4 20 as it has lost some bottom end. I am the same weight as you and I get going in 12 knots easily. As long as the lulls don't go below 10 knots Iam having fun. Board Iuse is a 157x44 wave tray.
Alex

CaymanWind
Medium Poster

Postby CaymanWind » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:05 am

Hi.

I have a Gaastra Phoenix 25. I weight 210lbs(95/96 kg) and ride my 157 North Defender in about 12 -13 knots no problem. The wind here is also not usually very constant so you should be cruising in consistant 15 knot winds.

Cheers
Ryan

BigKahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby BigKahuna » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:55 am

Hey Matt,

I weigh 110kg and am in the same situation as you. Of the kites the other guys have listed, here's my 2 cents worth:

North Rhino II 20m - great kite, I could ride it down to 10knots. Super fast, great turning speed, great bottom end... just don't put it in the water. Relaunch is nearly impossible. My favorite combo to 22 knots was the RII 20m with a Litewave 148.

Gaastra Phoenix 25m - big disappointment, slow turning speed, slow flying, lots of grunt, but the kite felt awefully sluggish. You -might- get an extra knot than the RII 20, but I flew them side by side one day and I wouldn't trade my RII 20 for the Phoenix. Probably easier to relaunch than the RII 20 though. I'm told that the Phoenix 21 is a much better kite, haven't tried it though.

How about a "Monkey Kites" 28m? Haven't tried one yet, but what I've heard so far is fairly positive, and their prices are pretty good.

I've since switched to the Peter Lynn Guerillas, great kites for big guys like us, and a 22m coming out in a couple of months...

Hope this helps,

Paul

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:17 am

Hey Matt,

When I was bigger and looking to get out more I was looking at big kites and boards, if your 120kg you'll be struggling to have any fun in 15 knotts unless you have a decent plank underneath you. At my heaviest I was 107kg and at that time with my 147 WT I wasn't even having fun on an R2 20 in 15 knotts... I bought a 158 Magic Carpet (Was one of the first ones they ever sold) and that board made such a difference for me, Sure it wasn't AS much fun as the 147 WT was but it was a whole lot more fun that sitting on the beach whilst the light weights ripped it up... This board didn't feel like its 158x44 thats for sure! and the current ones are so light I imagine they feel even smaller...

I don't believe currently there is a really good +20 meter kite... so don't discount a decent board just yet... you didn't say what size stick your riding BTW...

you could do what I did... get light 107kg down to ~90 and no need for the MC now :)

Cheers
Callum

Matt.Woods
Rare Poster

Postby Matt.Woods » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:43 am

Callum,

I'm currently riding four different boards. Trying to figure out what size / style suits me. My favourite board in the choppy water near me is a Catapult 148*40. When the water is flatter or winds lighter i use my RRd human size 140*44. I have made a plywood board which is 122*46 which is great and goes well up wind but weighs a ton. i have just got hold of a 155*40 kellner bros mutant which i'm going to give a go. I used to use a 181*43 light wave and a 230 directional so i have done the big boards. I find that all they do is help maintain planing during a lull they don't really help in getting upwind in light airs, also they are a pig to jump with.

jamesjrob
Frequent Poster

Postby jamesjrob » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:01 am

Rhino2 20m rocks the house! I spent the whole of last summer here in the UK on mine - light wind board 136 and med/high 120 SWT. I am 85 kg.

Also, you can get the low-range down to 6knots if you ride a Malibu! More fun than you can imagine.

James

Pogibro
Medium Poster

Postby Pogibro » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:05 pm

Yes... yes... the Rhino II 20 meter is the light air master. This really is a magic kite. The new Rhno 4 does not come close.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:10 am

RRD 26m Zipper.

zip it up and hold on there big boy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”