Forum for kitesurfers
Crack
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Crack » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:51 am

didn't wear a helmet when I first started, after being lofted 10m and landing on my head 1meter from a concrete block I now never go out without one!

you can't predict but you can prevent!

kiteboard22
Rare Poster

Postby kiteboard22 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:08 am

TO THE GUYS WHO DON'T WEAR HELMETS BECAUSE IT'S NOT COOL, AND THE LADIES DON'T DIG HELMETS. YOU ARE ALL FULL OF SHIT.
You don't wear hemets cause YOU don't think they are COOL. Or you probably ride in FLAT water somewhere in 11 knot winds. That to me is really COOL. We ride in waves at a beach with lifeguard stands, beachgoers, wood fences, and surfers. I wear a HELMET and an IMPACT VEST all of the time, no exceptions.
I have had a Litewave 181 hit the BACK of my HELMET twice. The HELMET paid off twice, if not for it the HELMET, I would of had stitches, at LEAST. Instead I laughed it off, thanked my HELMET, kept riding. You HELMETLESS PUNKS, have fun in the ER, because chicks dig SCARS, especially skull lacerations to expose that empty cavity where your BRAIN should be occupying. May be you can hold her feminine napkins in there, because that looks COOL too.
I saw a guy today, 20 knots on-shore conditions. He wears a board leash on a directional, NO HELMET. It was only me and him on the water. I saw him get tossed around by a wave, and the board behind his head. I said he's lucky if he gets through this one. He got through it but he won't be lucky all of the time.
Being a NICE guy, I talked to him to see what he would say. To quote him exactly, here was the dialogue.

Brett: Hey, just wondering, How come you still use a board leash?

Guy: I hate swimming for my board.

Brett: You can stay upwind, you don't really need it.

Guy: No reply

Brett: If you are going to use a leash, you should definitely wear a helmet.

Guy: It's a matter of personal preference.

PAUSE - I looked at him telling me this, I thought may be if he dies kiteboarding, oh well, he doesn't care, why should I.

Brett: I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Guy: I appreciate what you are saying, thanx, a lot of guys preach to me their safety BS, It's a matter of personal preference.

It is a matter of preference, because no one can make you do it unless it's the law, like riding on a mountain bike trail with a helmet.

It'll just be one less guy in my way, one less guy to launch, or land. It is called:

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, DARWIN'S THEORY. ACTUALLY IT IS SURVIVAL OF THE MOST PROTECTED.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU COOL GUYS!

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride
Gear: AGAMA KOMODO board, Affinis 12m kite
Brand Affiliation: AGAMA EXTREME

Postby abel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:23 am

Hi Sid,

If you don't want to wear a I can't convince you, then I can only regret that my failure to do so and your questionable example, might induce an injury to someone. :(

Give me one GOOD reason for encouraging others not to wear a helmet? :o

Sorry buddy, you are arguing against facts and statistics. Nothing to do with bad person, fashion, beauty or other subjective reasons.

Anyhow, have a lot of wind and enjoy :bye:

velns
Medium Poster

Postby velns » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:42 am

abel wrote:
Give me one GOOD reason for encouraging others not to wear a helmet? :o
.. you can`t "feel" the wind as good as without a helmet.. i don`t feel like kiting, but more like spending time in a helmet :P english is not my mother tongue, so i can`t explain it properly, but i think the non helmet guys understand me :wink:

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:52 am

pjc wrote: Plenty of people have suffered head injuries with minimal spinal injuries (and vice-versa). And lots of people ride (or launch) upwind of some sort of hard obstacle. If you blew out and crased into something hard, there is no saying exactly what would happen to you. However, a helmet would certainly make your head injuries less severe.
pjc, I agree with you on this because if Alex Caviglia had a helmet that wuold saved him from a major injury. Sadly he is still in a light coma, but there are some vital improvements what I saw the other day.

DrLightWind

kite_dre
Medium Poster

Postby kite_dre » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi guys !!

I'm absolutely agree with wearing a helmet, obviously is a personal decision. I use it always.

Maybe is not cool now, but if everybody use a helmet, will end up being cool. The same happened skiing or biking; each season there are more people using helmet. Now, skiing, If you use a helmet and you have some freestyle ski gear, you look more cool and "radical".

In Spain, the helmet is not very common.
A good solution would be that become mandatory for the official competitions. The brands would create new cool helmets and people would use it !!!

thiazzz
Frequent Poster

Postby thiazzz » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:40 pm

After the accident of Ronald in the Netherlands, i immediately ordered an helmet, and i promised myself to wear it.... Most of the times in these conditions i was the only one with a helmet... But i don't care really.

What I noticed during my snowboarding trip to italy last week is that a lot more snowboarders and skiers are wearing helmets this year. Other protective gear is also widely intergrated in the shops. I think is will take some time that people will realize that it is not crazy or ugly to wear a helmet, but cool, and realistic.

You must realize that shit can happen to you at every moment in live. A few weeks ago I just blacked-out at work, and I hit my head to a sharp object, causing a 16 stitch wound....not very funny...but wearing a helmet would have saved me from that... last time I went kiteboarding I walked to the water and the wind came under my board, and it hit my head again...I wore my helmet this time...nothing happend

My point is that accidents in life are easily happend. But with kiteboarding the elements can be very unpredictable, and if you wear a helmet (and impactvest) it can help you to save yourself!

oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster

Postby oceanplay » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:21 pm

there would be a good market if some one would make a cool looking one, as fare as the bikes go they only became cool when they looked cool the helmets out there now for water use are lame looking they just need to make them more appealing and more people will use them. do you where one when you surf doubble overhead with a leash on that reef break with rocks just under the surface. do you where one in your car. i would where one but can't find one that is appealing to me and the shops around here don't have any in stock to try on i was thinking of a bike helmet they are readly available and look good.

davince
Medium Poster

Postby davince » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:55 pm

Is Sid some sort of a forum entertainer?
A bit of 2nd degree is nice. Too bad it's sometimes past the edge. His pre-puber attitude and his feeble remarks have at least the merit to make us react. And laugh. Just ridiculous enough to be entertaining I find.

I also kite in holland and I can't agree more to what is written above (cf: looking cool, few people wearing helmets etc...)

I am tall and really strong. And handsome too! (Don't worry Sid, I'll pay you copyrights). But am I strong enough? My head is hard but not hard enough. I chose to wear a helmet.
I also tend to smile when I hear of helmets for cycling. I snowboard without (although sometimes I wonder if...), surfing and windsurfing with it has never been even an option. But kiting... I can't help thinking it's not a bad idea.

Besides who said it wasn't cool to wear a helmet? Who has never witnessed girls giggling at the sight of some warrior in his sexy uniform wearing a helmet and the rest.

So, Sid when do you get yours? Pick a camouflage one, you'll be the sexyest, strongest, whateverest on the beach.
http://www.pro-tec.net/
Please, I would be sorry if you'd spill your blood on my beach and its tourists. Would be dirty and kiting could be banned because kiting is "dangerous".
"-Ah! If he had been wearing a helmet
-drop dead! It would not have been cool!
- R.I.P."

Cheers

thiazzz
Frequent Poster

Postby thiazzz » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:39 pm

talking about cool. i saw some wakeboarders with the wakecap. but i couldn't buy this in the netherlands...

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wak ... /stokecity

Return to “Kitesurfing”