Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

jojo

Forum for kitesurfers
tazzpowerup
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

jojo

Postby tazzpowerup » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:02 am

Does anyone out there use the JoJo Rage surf kites?
Would like to here about the 10m & 12m any comments.
May get one for light winds
Thanks Tazz

Paraflysurf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

RAGE

Postby Paraflysurf » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:17 pm

The Rage is

- one of the most powerful surfkites, perhaps the most powerful.

- 2-line steering system ( 3rd line is safety and (bad) depower.

- hard to inflate

- You should have experience with softkites to fly it

- it turns slow ( cross over kit is not very effective )

I modified my the RAGE to a 4-line steering system with single brakes and fly it with a SPIDER Competition bar.

This way it is power and fun.

Hope I could help you !

M:M.

TP13
Medium Poster

Postby TP13 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 pm

For those who dont know, the JoJo Rage is based on JoJo's RM open celled race kite. The RM has been one of the top land kites for awhile now, and the kites characteristics were transferred to the Rage and so has certain characteristics as it was designed to fly on handles and is now used on a bar.

The third line that is attached to the bar, as it is set from the factory, is not for sheeting, it is attached directly to the brake lines, and so is only designed to brake the kite (evenly on both sides), or as a safety. To set up a sheeting system a series of crosslinks are tied to the front power bridle lines and this is what changes the kites shape (not the angle of attack), effectively sheeting it in or out. Contact the North American distributor and I am sure he'll show you how to do it.

Both the 10 and 12m are tanks, they have tons of pull, even in light wind.

Slow turning speed is a relative thing, I would compare the 10m Rage to my 10m 2002 Fuel for turning speed, though to a 14m - 16m Fuel for power.

Both kites are pretty stable, I have flown them in winter mountain winds (on telemark skis), which are very gusty and full of holes and I haven't had a problem there. They dont collapse as easily as an open celled kite, cuz of the pressurized cells. Though they will fold in the middle, clap the wing tips together and re-open, which can take some getting used to.... but that is only with extreme gusty conditions.

Overall I think the Rage is a pretty good kite, once you learn how to fly it, they are moderately different from LEI's. My only beef with them is that some times they are hard to pre-inflate with the small openings, this can partially be remedied by opening the zippers close to the trailing edge that are designed to help deflate the kite. Once partially inflated they are easy to deal with, and it's still quicker then pumping up an 18m to 20m+.

Oops... sorry... didnt realize I was typing an essay... but hope that helps

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster

re-rage

Postby tazzpowerup » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:24 am

Are these Rage 2004 models that you guys are talking about?
Tazz

TP13
Medium Poster

Postby TP13 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:33 pm

As far as I know the Rage hasnt changed significantly through its life... I think that I was flying '02 kites and maybe an '03, but not sure...

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster

rage

Postby tazzpowerup » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:18 am

hey TP13

I see your from BC I live in PEI a Canadian "A"
I'm looking for a low wind kite now I'm using a 840 Arc I think the 12m Rage should fill my low wind gap. I think a 15m Arc or G-arc would be to slow or maybe I'm wrong.
I do have some open foils that I use in high winds on surf,buggy and snow.
Are you guys on the water out there now
The bays here are still half full of ice.
Tazz

TP13
Medium Poster

Postby TP13 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:48 pm

Hey Tazz.... I have heard rumours that peeps are on the water, but I usually find out just a little too late... this 9-5 BS is killing my kiting career... but soon.....sooo soon... the sun is here, just waiting for the wind... Good to hear that you guys are kiting out east. I met a guy here last year from St. John's who came over here to learn from friends, he said that there was only a couple of guys flying over there, but then that is Newfies for ya. :roll:

Where are you guys flying in PEI.... I would love to see pics of kiting around the Confederation Bridge... I think that would look pretty cool.

The 12 should be a great low wind kite, as an added bonus, you can fly it on handles for buggying... not the best, but it is fast enough...

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster

Re jojo Rage

Postby tazzpowerup » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:19 am

Hey Tp13

I may try get a picture surfing by the bridge this summer.
I'm located close to Charlottetown on the north side of the Island.
near Brackley.
Only 3 of us here that I know of. I think I was the first here 3 years ago.
No kite schools here I'm self taught.
I keep in contact with a group from Ontario. Cankitebuggy group & others
one of the guys from the group mentioned the rage kite to me so I thought it would be good to check out.
How long have you been into kite surfing, do you buggy also?
I can't wait to get out on the water again I may end up surfing around iceburgs.
Tazz

Return to “Kitesurfing”