just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

20%more power for Voodoo/Spirits

Postby just do it » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:45 am

Some guys have been mentioning that the 14m Voodoo feels at times as if it could do with more bottom end. Others have said they get going and stay upwind in 10-12knots on the water. Contradiction!
The reason for these different views is often down to the steadyness of the wind. Even though the Voodoo handles gusty conditions extremely well it doesn't really develop its power properly. In steady wind conditions it is possible to get your boardspeed up and get the apparent wind flowing over the foil. This gives the Voodoo plenty of low end power.
I have played around with different WAC setting and found that some work better than others in light winds.
THE BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR POWER HOWEVER WAS TO ADD AN EXTRA 6M EXTENSION LINES.
This is something I already did on my 12.5m Titan with great success.
It is something that all of us often ingnore completely.
We shouldn't forget that the Voodoo only comes on 21m Lines which is extremely short, especially for a foil.
So in conditions were the wind is steady and low down it planes early and has plenty of grunt. In up and down conditions and with low windspeeds on low levels the extra line-length increases your powerstroke and funnily makes the kite go further around the edge of the window resulting in better upwind performance too.
Believe me stick an extra 5-6m on the Voodoos/Spirits in light winds and you increase your power by around 20% and your upwind ability by about 10%.
Try it, it really works.
There are no drawbacks apart from a slightly slower response time but the Voodoos are so quick anyway that it doesn't really matter.
Oh, and before I forget it, your jumps will be higher, longer and floatier too.

Vega
Medium Poster

Postby Vega » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:24 pm

Did U add 6 meters to the Titan as well?
How does it affect the upper range - or did U just remove them, when there's plenty of wind?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:48 pm

just do it,

Thank you for the tip. I took my Voodoo 14 for the second time on the water yesterday. I bought it as a snow kite, but I figured it would be fun because you can rig it so fast.

Question for you, you mentioned that the line extensions slow the kite down a bit - that is a good thing the Voodoo is faster than my 10M X2. I am curious if it helps the kite wander less and just park? I found that I was watching the kite a lot more than the water, some thing that I never do on my LEI's because the silly thing would not park it wanted to go up or down, so I was frequently steering the thing. It wasn't a big deal, just a bit annoying.

One more thing, since you seem to be knowledgeable about the Voodoo. Why did Flysurfer call it a 14 when it seems to have a lot less power. I would say that it generates the same power as a 14M LEI, not a 14M Foil. I rode in 17 - 20 mph wind and it was just right for my 180 LBS.

Kenny

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Carlos_C » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:57 pm

I fly my FS maniac on longer lines and get much more bottom end....when it's near its' top end I go back to stock length...

The 14 mt is called a 14 mt as it is 14 mt in size flat......you can't call it something it isn't - it's like me calling my 12 mt mastair a 15 as it has such a huge low end....you don't - it is a 12 - just a high ar grunty 12...

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:00 am

Carlos_C wrote:I fly my FS maniac on longer lines and get much more bottom end....when it's near its' top end I go back to stock length...

The 14 mt is called a 14 mt as it is 14 mt in size flat......you can't call it something it isn't - it's like me calling my 12 mt mastair a 15 as it has such a huge low end....you don't - it is a 12 - just a high ar grunty 12...
Carlos , you are correct in what you are saying I think the main gripe is with the FS wind range they give the kite, FS kite is as follows

Size 7.0 10.0 14.0
Wind Knots
4-12 ,4-10, 4-8 under powered
12-30, 10-25, 8-21 normal powered
30-40, 25-33, 21-28 over powered

The real range is more like

75 kg = 14knots to 24 knots normal power

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:33 am

Carlos,

I know what you are saying, but the Voodoo generates far less power than one would expect from a 14M foil. Last Winter I bought an 18.5 Titan, I thought the 14M Voodoo would be the perfect kite to bridge the gap between my 12M Ozone Frenzy and the big Titan. Much to my chagrin, the Voodoo generates about the same if not a little less power than my Frenzy. Longer lines may really make a real difference. The kite already generates nice lofty jumps on the stock line.

Anyone want to tell me the best way to setup the Voodoo so it wanders around less?

By the way, the best feature on the Voodoo if you ask me is the zippers. Did they put them on the Psycho 2?

Kenny

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:43 am

fernmanus wrote:Carlos,

I

By the way, the best feature on the Voodoo if you ask me is the zippers. Did they put them on the Psycho 2?

Kenny

Hi Kenny ,

The P2's have the zippers just like the voodoo, my p13 zippers seem a bit smaller but are great for packing the kite up :thumb:

just wish my T21 had zippers on it as well :o

My Voodoo 14 does not wonder ( move ) at all when I park it at zennith, in fact can fly the kite no hands on the bar while walking along the beach, or body draging back to shore.

I think you really need to check the bridle lines, maybe a twist or something stuck on the pulley's, if you can post some pics we may be able to help.

NPR

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:29 am

Vega wrote:Did U add 6 meters to the Titan as well?
How does it affect the upper range - or did U just remove them, when there's plenty of wind?
I added between 3-6m but found 3m just perfect for allround and 6m for light winds and floaty jumps. The Titan has 23m line length so 5-6m on the Voodoo is perfect most of the time. You can go longer but as I am too lazy to take the extensions out when the wind picks up I settled for 3m on my 12.5m Titan. This gave me 26m overall. It was great with the 6m extensions too and definitly better in light winds.
I could hold the Titan just as high up in the strong winds so no trouble at all.

On the Voodoo the extensions do make the kite more comfortable to ride. It does park better at the edge of the window.
I think the longer lines almost act like suspensions and thus little steering impulses don't get fed back to the kite straight away. It slackens of the tension on the green brake mutation line and this helps in making it less nervous.

I know that the Voodoo14m jumps well but with the longer lines it really goes.

I hope all of this is useful.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:06 am

NPR,

Thank you for your input. I haven't flown the kite in several months and I have only flown it 4-5 times altogether. I will carefully check my bridle lines.

Kenny

Return to “Kitesurfing”