kite + poleboard= ??

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

kite + poleboard= ??

Postby Starsky » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:42 pm

Hoping not to catch too much flame, but was recently looking at my ol high wind poleboard (75L) and got the screwball idea that it might be a light wind cruizer waiting to be reborn. I dont really use big kites and dont really want to but admitedly when it gets light for two weeks straight mid summer I will try anything. I know I'll drag that thing out of the rafters and goof around on it, but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried it. This board is pretty beat and its only other good use is probably a big bonfire sacrifice to the wind gods. Took off the ratty straps and it looks about right. Wondering if the there is too much float in the rail to get it to dig in and go upwind. No boxy rails on it as its a dedicated wave board, but still, its a pole board. Anyone ever tried it?? If we get a long calm spell this summer I'll report back.

Word.

Protos
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Protos » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:56 pm

check out http://www.zeroprestige.org under their boardbuilding section. They describe some failed attempts at using an old windsurf board.

Of course, your results may vary!

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby MadMick » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:58 pm

Of couse it will work !

Many riders use long Malibu type surfboards when its really light.

If you are just after some summer fun,go for it !

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: kite + poleboard= ??

Postby Dwight » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:18 am

Starsky wrote:Hoping not to catch too much flame, but was recently looking at my ol high wind poleboard (75L) and got the screwball idea that it might be a light wind cruizer waiting to be reborn. I dont really use big kites and dont really want to but admitedly when it gets light for two weeks straight mid summer I will try anything. I know I'll drag that thing out of the rafters and goof around on it, but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried it. This board is pretty beat and its only other good use is probably a big bonfire sacrifice to the wind gods. Took off the ratty straps and it looks about right. Wondering if the there is too much float in the rail to get it to dig in and go upwind. No boxy rails on it as its a dedicated wave board, but still, its a pole board. Anyone ever tried it?? If we get a long calm spell this summer I'll report back.

Word.
It works better than using the malibu. The windsurfer is designed with a faster planing rocker. Remove all your footstraps. You don't need them. Booties will give all the grip you need. Its easy to edge.

Return to “Kitesurfing”