What's so Hardcore about unhooking?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's so Hardcore about unhooking?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:20 am

I fail to uinderstand why people think they are "Hardcore"
because they unhook.
I learnt to ride unhooked 3/4 years ago on a two string because I was too scared to be hooked into my haerness.
Does that make me a hardcore newby?
Years ago when this great sport was begining
unhooked riding was very common on two string kites

Unhooked is a nice compliment to any style of riding its not a religion

Sharky
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sharky » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:36 am

its harder, more fun, and looks a hell of a lot better than than boosting all the time.

p.s.:
No offense to anyone on the forum who prefers to do board-offs, this is only my opinion. do what you like to do, not what other people want you to do :bye:

p.s.s.:
I don't think it makes me hardcore, I just like the way unhook tricks feel.

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What's so Hardcore about unhooking?

Postby sid5150 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:35 am

Anonymous wrote:I fail to uinderstand why people think they are "Hardcore"
because they unhook.
I learnt to ride unhooked 3/4 years ago on a two string because I was too scared to be hooked into my haerness.

'Hardcore riding' is any technique that someone has just learned.

'Wuss-Bag riding' is any riding technique that you learned more than 6 months ago.

Wait 2 years and 'wuss-bag' becomes 'hardcore' again:

* Your example is a fine one.

* 2 years ago, directionals were becoming wuss-bag. Now the 'hardcore' riders are kiting while riding surfboards (directionals without straps). But don't worry, it will be wuss-bag again very soon.

* 2 years ago, wuss-bag, low AR kites were abandoned for hardcore, high AR kites. But now the hardcore riders love the low AR kites for 'wake style' tricks.

Don't worry, the 'hardcore' wake-style folk will fade into wuss-bagginess soon. Just pick up a wakeboarding magazine, it will make you puke - It is all about The Scene & The Redneck Bling. The general kiteboarding populous will grow weary of the wakeboarding 'tude & their incredibly unfounded (but horrendously overinflated) sense of self-worth. The wake-style tricks tend to be inelegant and non-graceful - To the uninitiated, a fun boardoff is a lot nicer to watch than the mostr complex handlepass.

It is just a matter of time.

Sid sends

GregW
Frequent Poster

Postby GregW » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:57 am

I don't ride unhooked but I would like to try it sometime. I think one advantage is it gives you greater body extension during tricks.

Hooked in raillys look and feel a bit odd because the bar is down around your middle. With unhooked you would be in a fully-stretched out superman position.

From video I have seen rolls are more dynamic with your centre of rotation at your stretched out hands instead of your waist.

Regards

Greg

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:38 am

Easy to drop your kite unhooked. Not sure if its hardcore, but it sure is a pain in the ass if you drop your bar.

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What's so Hardcore about unhooking?

Postby MadMick » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:55 am

sid5150 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I fail to uinderstand why people think they are "Hardcore"
because they unhook.

'Hardcore riding' is any technique that someone has just learned.

'Wuss-Bag riding' is any riding technique that you learned more than 6 months ago.

Wait 2 years and 'wuss-bag' becomes 'hardcore' again:

* Your example is a fine one.

* 2 years ago, directionals were becoming wuss-bag. Now the 'hardcore' riders are kiting while riding surfboards (directionals without straps). But don't worry, it will be wuss-bag again very soon.

* 2 years ago, wuss-bag, low AR kites were abandoned for hardcore, high AR kites. But now the hardcore riders love the low AR kites for 'wake style' tricks.

Don't worry, the 'hardcore' wake-style folk will fade into wuss-bagginess soon. Just pick up a wakeboarding magazine, it will make you puke - It is all about The Scene & The Redneck Bling. The general kiteboarding populous will grow weary of the wakeboarding 'tude & their incredibly unfounded (but horrendously overinflated) sense of self-worth. The wake-style tricks tend to be inelegant and non-graceful - To the uninitiated, a fun boardoff is a lot nicer to watch than the mostr complex handlepass.

It is just a matter of time.

Sid sends
:lol: :lol: Right on man ! :thumb: :thumb:

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:57 am

Dax wrote:Easy to drop your kite unhooked. Not sure if its hardcore, but it sure is a pain in the ass if you drop your bar.
:-? I thought most people here on this forum were using inflatable kites and not C-quads or blades or other waterbags.
So droping the bar is probably just a micropin in the ass for most of us...

longy1975
Medium Poster

Postby longy1975 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:23 am

Its a combination of unhooked , kite powered and at 45 degrees then fliping , passing the handle at just the right moment, then landing with even more speed that makes it so " Hardcore! ". Call it what you want, but its a shit load more technical and talented than hanging from your shackal with your kite over your head, or attempting the dead man :thumb:

Stan
Medium Poster

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:22 am

Hooked in raillys look and feel a bit odd because the bar is down around your middle. With unhooked you would be in a fully-stretched out superman position.
No such thing as a hooked in railey, only the renowned "Back scratcher'' can be performed hooked in. This unhooked approach applies to all wakeboard tricks including S-Bends, Tantrums, Krypts, Batwings and Blind, all of which are commonly claimed after being done hooked in.

BLIND IS ONLY UNHOOKED

Riding along or landing blind in a chicken loop should be reffered to as ''wrapped'', and is about the most unstylish thing you can do off a kite, although the clear winner of that is a trick started from the ''wrapped'' position. E.g the good old ''Blind transition''.
Easy to drop your kite unhooked. Not sure if its hardcore, but it sure is a pain in the ass if you drop your bar.
That's so weak.

Anyway thats my preach for the week, eat your crusts and your greens.

Sharky
Medium Poster

Postby Sharky » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:50 am

Stan is right on.

NOTHING IS WORSE IN KITEBOARDING THAN A HOOKED IN RAILEY!

Return to “Kitesurfing”