Forum for kitesurfers
Crack
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Crack » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:14 am

agreed with the other post, sand the serial numbers back it will make a big difference.

also, 2 other techniques;

1. as already mentioned, raise your angle of pull upwards (once you think about it you'll understand)

2. pull in the relaunch ball, release quickly without letting go of the ball as this gives slack to the line and releases the tension on the bullet then quickly jerk the relaunch ball again towards you (slightly upwards).

by sanding the bullet and using technique no.2 it will pop out every time.

crack

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

skipfrom

Postby skipfrommichigan » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:35 am

I agree with the other tips - but the most important thing is to watch sand near the bullets. "Floss' the bullets back and forth / in and out of the seating right before you launch the kite - and this will help get any extra stuff away from the bullet area.

Skip

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:16 am

If you look at the bullets on the new contra kites, you will notice that they are shorter and rounded of on both ends, this is because of the problems you mentioned.
You can do this with your own kites using a pipe cutter and a bit of sand paper.
All the other solution proposed here will help to some extent, until you get to see the new bullets.
Nico

dennisk
Medium Poster

Postby dennisk » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:12 am

Hmmm.... using a pipecutter on my 1000 euro kite sounds a bit drastic ;) ... but I'll first try the sanding down and rounding of...

It looks like I'll have to wait until wednesday to see what the result will be...beacuse the windforecasts are pretty bleek :(

Thanks for all the tips, i'll keep you informt on the result.

ps. Can anyone post a picture of the stoppers on the new contra's?? (I'm very interested in these kites. They sound like perfect low wind machines for a big guy like me...)

dennisk
Medium Poster

Postby dennisk » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:34 am

YES It works... :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

I removed the numbers from the bullets and slightly rounded the edge of the bullet...the recon now releases much easier. I did not have to use much force to get the bullet from the tip. And it worked a 100% of the time.... I'm now convinced the Recon system rocks.

Great tip, thanx.

Dennis

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:39 pm

The new bullets will be available to retrofit to 2004 kites

kiterguy69
Rare Poster

Postby kiterguy69 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:44 pm

The solution to your problem is, don't let it go down
in the first place. J.K.
Hey, I flew the recon's for awhile myself. Finally
went with another brand. Found the recon was more
trouble than it was worth.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:33 pm

I'm about to buy my first kite. Total novice- but have had lessons and feel like its time for the purchase. At this point I'm thinking the Recon may be a little too complex (too much to muck with) for my first kite. Love the idea behind the system and have heard a wide range of opinions (and looking for a few more).

I downloaded the manual and read it, which was great. Now, I realize the manual has to cover them for liability and be idiot proof, but every RECON related instruction had a LOT of steps and several caveats...also warnings about it being an emergency depower or landing system primarily. Relaunch only recommended for intermediate/advanced riders. Well, that goes against my reason to purchase the recon equipped kite...as a beginner, I am trying to minimize the time I spend dragging the kite back to the beach for a relaunch (when I can't get a traditional launch to work).

So, at this point I've also heard fantastic things about the SS Fuel and may go with that and just learn how to relaunch the original way like everyone else did. :)

Thoughts?

-todd

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:03 pm

There are 2 issues here:

1. Recon immediate depower (pulling the emergency release ball above the bar)

2. Activating the relaunch system (pulling relaunch balls on the back lines) when the kite is on the water

Relaunching after 1. is an advanced technique as you need to put the sytem back together - and as such is promoted as an ass saver when it goes tits up or when there's no-one around to land your kite.

If you leash most kites (drop the bar, panic, get rid of everything) it can end in a world of spaghetti if you're not careful.

2. Kite nose down on the water, pulling on one side to activate the relaunch follow all the instructions and like anything else PRACTICE and its not an issue.

As a beginner, it doesn't hurt to learn traditional relaunch/self rescue techniques - regardless of what kit you choose

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:31 pm

mickpilch wrote:There are 2 issues here: ...

2. Kite nose down on the water, pulling on one side to activate the relaunch follow all the instructions and like anything else PRACTICE and its not an issue.

...that clears some of it up. Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”