Is kitesurfing eco - friendly???

Forum for kitesurfers
Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mattdog » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:39 am

True enough, but it is a great thing to be eco conscious in all your activities and setting an example as kitesurfers will be good for the sport.

Dont be so bitter :evil: :P :lol:

webhiker
Frequent Poster

Postby webhiker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:31 pm

Nuke the gay whales

:wink:

bennyh
Medium Poster

Postby bennyh » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:35 pm

I have no intention of moaning or preaching here.
I have to say though, that people who grumble about ''tree huggers'' ought to have a good look around them and read a book or two.
In this country, so many people are completely blind to the consequences of their actions (generally that is - not just in ecological terms). Its a good exercise to take a step back and have a look at what you're doing. Also, bear in mind that developing countries have virtually no notion of what 'leisure' means. 150 years ago in developed countries you went to work. full stop. no farting around with coloured bits of cloth. Life has never been better so we'd better not stuff it up. Thats all.

Hampton
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hampton » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:50 pm

Nico wrote:One aspect which hasn't been mentioned, and that I have noticed to be of some importance, is the fact that in shallow waters (up to 1,5Mts) we are greatly disturbing the residential habits of fishes.
They do not like UFOs flying past unanounced, and if this happens on a regular basis will emmigrate to other quieter areas. These other areas are not always suited for their breeding and feeding habits, causing degradation and eventual disapearance of these fish.
Homo sapiens is the biggest bully aropund.
Nico
Or, our cruising past forces the fishes to take cover. If they're too big to take cover in the holes/rocks/cracks, they flee. Now, the previously thinned species of smaller fish are able to reproduce with less threat from larger ones. We see the inland reefs flourish with smaller fish, being protected from the larger ones who are scared off.

The population explodes and overflows into deeper waters. There, the larger fishes feed on a much larger and healthier population of smaller fish, making their own numbers strong...

There's always more than one way to look at things.

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:41 pm

my take is that mother nature knows best! One day, the planet will be shifted well out of equilibrium and she will go into a "repair" mode and get really cold... or really hot. Either way, we wont be Kitesurfing. We, as humans will be able to little about that, if we survive at all... but rest well knowing that we will be looooong gone before it comes to that.

About the riding in todays water, I was riding at the beach last sunday. I guess it has been a while since I was on any type of motorized watercraft, and this jetski came wizzing by. If there was anything I noticed, it was its exhaust... it freaking stunk! It seems that the acutal act of kitesurfing is pretty healthy to the environment...otherwise I wouldnt have noticed that floating fart machine.

And on the fish... I feel pretty certain that no fish is going to go somewhere and sit in a corner and starve its entire school to death. The just migrate around to where there is little stress and enough food to survive. We arent doing anything worse than the fisherman who use thier much bigger boats to go target these schools strictly for the sake of sport...dont get me wrong, I am a fisherman but I see myself and my species as the top of the food chain (and in my community, there are hrundreds of fishermen with boats for every kitesurfer).

We may not be the strongest, but we are the smartest, and until the day my I wake up and see my dog with a cup of java kicking back sitting uprite on my recliner with a pipe in his paw reading the newspaper, I will continue to think this way.

pjc
Frequent Poster

Postby pjc » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Selay -- T totally agree with you. I consider myself an enviromentalist, but I think the Green movement does itself a huge disservice by not picking its battles. You can sit around nitpicking every little activity finding some enviro harm.

There has got to be some more serious enviromental problems to address other then potential harm of kitesurfing over a reef 10 feet underwater.

Mexico city has air that is so foul it is unhealthy to exercise outdoors most of the time, and here we are worrying about the landfill impact of a kite that packs down to practically the size of a lunch-pail.

Basically, lot's of Greenies engage in this one-up-manship of "let's find something to feel guilty about". It does no good whatsoever, and just feeds the notion that Greenies are a sour bunch of no-fun-cops.

To the contrary, we should celebrate the enviro-friendliness of kitesurfing. Free energy, easiliy transportabile gear and a sense of communion with nature. Kiters are potentially a strong force in keeping beaches and oceans clean. Let's not turn off potential enviormentalists with this chest beating of "oh the poor traumatized fishies".

Krash
Rare Poster

Postby Krash » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:21 pm

What next???
Land rights for Gay whales?

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:12 am

The best way is to put yourself in the others place.
Try and be a needle fish , you live a few mm from the waters surface feeding on other fish that might splash past, until this new sport came by: windsurfing.
To you, a needlefish, this represent big sharp blades that threaten to cut you in two at any moment for no apparent reason (I have sliced many needlefish in my sailing carreer).
This is just one example, and believe me there are many more similar cases of destroyed areas because of "environment friendly" activities.

Yes there are many other things we do that cause more harm to our environment. But do not kid yourself to think that because you are not polluting out your exhaust that you are being eco friendly.

National Geographic tells me that we would need three planets earth to
sustain consumption if we were all to consume the way The USA does.

If you want ecological sustainability, you will have to rethink everything.

These are just facts. Don't take this as a personal attack (Selah)
I also kite and drive a pick up.
The facts remain.
Nico

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:05 am

the mexico city air pollution thing is a bit exagerated, i have lived here most of my life and never gotten sick from the air, but i get your point and agree with it. If at least kitesurfers can pick up the random piece of trash they see on the beach, little by little they can help out, especially cigarette butts which take forever to dissolve.

selah
Medium Poster

Postby selah » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:15 am

Ahh... jeez. Alls I meant was that politely considering the environmental impact of insignificant things is more dangerous than emptying your crank case over the sand at your favorite launch, because you've tricked yourself into thinking you've done something positive when you've done absolutely nothing at all to make a difference.

Return to “Kitesurfing”