Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Glow in the dark green Algae.

Forum for kitesurfers
kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Glow in the dark green Algae.

Postby kitefrog » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:31 pm

Cool,

My mate was kiting in Liverpool (Ainsdale) until 2am a few nights ago and reported seeing glowing algae. There were "green sparks" in his boards wake and trails of his wake left in excited algae. Sounds like an epic sesion. Ever seen any? David

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Glow in the dark green Algae.

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:38 pm

kitefrog wrote:Cool,

My mate was kiting in Liverpool (Ainsdale) until 2am a few nights ago and reported seeing glowing algae. There were "green sparks" in his boards wake and trails of his wake left in excited algae. Sounds like an epic sesion. Ever seen any? David

You saw bioluminescence. It is fairly common in subtropical and tropical waters. There are some bays in Puerto Rico that are world famous for the abundance of biolumenescent life at night as shown above. I never considered the point before but I would guess you might see this phenomena globally. Go off the beach into the ocean with a mask on at night. Wave your hand around and you may see small green lights flash on then off. More at:

http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~biolum/

This shrimp has even evolved into using biolum. as a distraction for defense.
They copied the chemical reaction in the production of Cyalum sticks, cold chemically induced lighting with Luciferase, what a name!

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:13 pm

Rick - I seriously doubt that angler fish was at surface level let alone in liverpool bay ! :lol:

Its probably phosphorecent algae from cellafield !

David - Cellafield is only up the coast. Nuclear power effluent lights up your life........

kiting in ainsdale till 2 am ? WDF !!! :bye:

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:26 pm

We sample the following Non EC Identified Beaches and in addition, carry out a survey of beach litter at the time of sampling (Garber Survey):

Barkby Beach, Prestatyn
Ffrith Beach, Prestatyn
Splash Point, Rhyl
Gronant Dunes, Prestatyn

Bathing water from each of the above mentioned beaches is monitored between 1st May and the 30th September each year.

In order to achieve high quality coastal water around Wales, the "Green Sea Partnership" has been set up and is co-ordinated by the Wales Tourist Board. Other members include: Local Authorities, Water Companies, local environment groups, the Countryside Council for Wales, the Environment Agency and Industry.

Marine Algae

Marine algal (phytoplankton) blooms can occur in Liverpool Bay and associated coastlines, and can affect some beaches in North Wales. These are caused by increased marine algal growth, forming dense populations of algae at different times and places. They are a natural occurrence and can occur in the spring and early summer. Some of the species which have been observed include:

Phaeocystis - can bring ashore gelatinous material and in rougher weather / windy conditions can cause foam. The blooms are non-toxic, but can cause aesthetic problems such as an unpleasant cabbage type smell when the algae are dying.

Chaetoceros - which is a long chain algae with spines and spears. It is an irritant to fish gills, thereby affecting the fish and causes some fish deaths. It is non-toxic to humans.

Noctiluca - it is non-toxic, but can turn the sea bright red, light green, orange or black and be phosphorescent.

Further information can be obtained from the Environment Agency Marine, Biological & Chemical Consultants (MBCC) monitors and investigates these blooms along the North Western Coasts of England & Wales.

Source - UK environment Agency. :bye:

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:29 pm

I've seen the odd brown trout & knicker pidgeon round our way.... they didnt glow, but they sure smelled like they soulda done

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 pm

First time I saw it I was swimming at night (drunk) across a Marina.
The Phosforescent Jelly fish were all around me.
I thought I was being attacked by aliens and was in a tracter beam (remember I was drunk)
Latter in life I have seen them many times behind my sailboat while night sailing. They are beatiful in the wake.
I have not kited with them yet but that would be so cool
Joel

Hugolito
Medium Poster

Re: Glow in the dark green Algae.

Postby Hugolito » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:18 pm

kitefrog wrote:Cool,

we ahve it alot her ein sweden in the winter time, but then is way to cold to swim with them..

"maar fire"

Hampton
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hampton » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:08 pm

In Panama City, we get the green glow in the water periodically. A friend of mine and I had picked a night to go fishing when, coincidentally, the water was full of the stuff. We were able to sight cast to fish by size and sometimes type! Each movement of anything illuminated the area around it which illuminated the object/fish itself. They also left nice trails. It was easy to guide the bait to the fish of choice.

On another occassion, my family and I were returning from dinner out on the boat when we noticed a bright green glow around the hull. At cruise speed, the entire hull was illuminated in a green glow in an otherwise unlit environment. It was a sight of a lifetime.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:31 pm

I saw algae once in Cabos San Lucas
they had washed up on shore, and so as we walked on the beach at night, we left glowing footprints, very very cool

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:33 pm

Liverpool is going sub tropical, nice one who said the gulf stream is moving.

Return to “Kitesurfing”