Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What 3 to 4m Kite flies the best?

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:21 am

No sorry, I am considering getting a 3 or 4 meter. I have flown the 6m. The kite is much like the Flysurfer Pulse 2. Turning is not super fast but ok. The videos of the smaller Genesis's look quite fast kites. I haven't flown the peak 4 but have others. I would guess the range on the Genesis is quite a bit bigger. I mainly use Psycho4s and their range is massive.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post (total 2):
a99 (Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:00 am) • sonny2727 (Wed May 05, 2021 5:11 am)
Rating: 6.06%

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Wed May 05, 2021 4:48 am

a99 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am
foilholio wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:02 am
You won't complain about any 3 or 4m being too slow, too fast though is more likely. Genesis included.
The biggest difference between a Peak and most other kites is the Peak won't break when you crash it.
Have you (or someone there) flown 3, 4 or 5 m genesis ? What is their wind range in foiling comparing with the same size peak4 3,4,5 m kites ? Quite the same ? Turning also ?
This comparison is based on flying/owning a 2020 4m genesis and peak4 in 3,4,5.
The peaks and genesis fly very differently. The biggest is when you sheet out a peak, it dumps power like an inflatable. When you sheet out a genesis ram air kite, it accelerates with power to the edge of the window, then has less power. I didn't find this friendly on a 1250cm2 surf hydrofoil.

The peak is there easiest kite I have ever flown with fingertip control, one hand steering, floats in very little wind and a ton of depower. The limitations are medium complexity bridle, flapping when wind is above wind range and limited relaunch.

The genesis doesn't have that nice steering and depower for me. I haven't tried to mod the bridle. The 2021 bridle is supposed to be better. Bridle is simple. Both kites sit deep in the wind window. Genesis needs more wind.

I wish I had enough money to have two peak quivers. One for personal use and one for teaching. I give power kite intros with the genesis and ride peaks. Teaching with peaks would be great for kite control.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed May 05, 2021 5:23 am

I have a 2020 Genisis 5 I used exclusively for foiling last year. It was my goto kite. Nice and stable, excellent drift, hangs deep in the window compared to modern kites. Steering forces are a bit high for my taste but whips nicely around for my needs. I now also got a 5.5 Clould and I am not sure which one will be a keeper as they both have pulses and minuses to each other. Also you cant got wrong with a $100 for a brand new kite ... for that they are excellent. But I would not buy a bigger one in fear of being too slow on all levels.

Cant compare to a peak as we dont have them around here. G

Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil

Postby Mikkelza » Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 pm

I use a cabrinha drifter 2017 4.5m2, so still 'too big' for what you ask for. However, I am surprised how well balanced and great the little kite flies. Flies as good as my 5.5m2 and 7m2. But of course it is very fast and take ALOT of wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”