Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how long before you came good at kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how long before you came good at kiteboarding

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:25 pm

just curious how long it took people to get proficent and also to handle wave riding?

lutchi
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lutchi » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:32 pm

it depends on you regurlarity but for real wave riding don't expect less then one regular year and when I say regular it's regular

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:11 pm

3 days

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:17 pm

i've been out about 30 times - so the answer for me is more than that. for me it's now mediocre jumps and lots of fun in chop/swell but i'm a long way from looking like the guys in the videos...

Ed

pjc
Frequent Poster

Postby pjc » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:19 pm

I think lutchi is being a bit pessimistic, depending on your definition of "wave riding".

If the question is -- "My local spot has decent sized waves, how long before I can go out there and have fun and not be a kook", then I certainly know people who got there in less then a calendar year.

If you talking cranking toe-side bottom turns, smacking the lip, etc. well, I'm not good enough to even comment on that.

I guess my point is kite-surfing works well in the waves, you don't need to be world class to have some safe fun. Once you're transitions are solid you're ready to give it a try. I sense kiting is different from windsurfing in this respect -- windsurfers tend to avoid the waves until they're pretty much styling.

mergulhao
Frequent Poster

Postby mergulhao » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:45 pm

how about this.

in general most kiters I know spend from 2 to 3 days a week in water.
in media a kiting season is about 8 month a year. if you stay in water about 1 hour per day it's about 62 to 96 hours of kiting per year. Just like to weeks of a ski seasson.

with this experience and good conditions
I'would say that in the first year you learn the basics of kiting, can stay up wind, learn the first turns, and try your first jumps.
In second year you can easily make the turns with some speed (toe side and regular), give some consistence to your jumps, try your first grabs, gain some confidence to ride overpowered, try the first 180 pops in waves and ride toe side. Make your first downwind waves, maybe bottom turn.

In the 3 year you are able to jump easily with your time correct most of the tries, and do your first intermediaries tricks, like back loops, front loops and transitions and spend more time in waves and try more advance tricks like board offs and some wake tricks, if you like it.

from there I thinks this is personal preferences.

this are at least my experience.
but don't worry much about this, just enjoy you kite, and you will progress.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:54 pm

mergulhao wrote:how about this.
in media a kiting season is about 8 month a year. if you stay in water about 1 hour per day it's about 62 to 96 hours of kiting per year.
phew...that is depressing to read as a newbie who doesn't live in a prime kiting environment! For those of us that don't live at the water, or near multiple friendly spots, we're just watching ikitesurf and trying to decide when its worth jumping in the car for a 2++ hour drive to a kite spot that may drop out by the time you get there! :o

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mikeysfl » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:06 pm

toddjb123 wrote:
in media a kiting season is about 8 month a year. if you stay in water about 1 hour per day it's about 62 to 96 hours of kiting per year.
phew...that is depressing to read as a newbie who doesn't live in a prime kiting environment! For those of us that don't live at the water, or near multiple friendly spots, we're just watching ikitesurf and trying to decide when its worth jumping in the car for a 2++ hour drive to a kite spot that may drop out by the time you get there! :o
grab your shit, and get the hell out of dodge. :D

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:21 pm

mikeysfl wrote:
toddjb123 wrote:
grab your shit, and get the hell out of dodge. :D
Yes that truly sucks. I would move or quit kiteboarding, no need to torture yourself!

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:35 pm

I have the opportunity to kite 2 weekends a month (+ holiday).

I have been windsurfing for about 25 years and started kiteboarding to have fun (or "do something") under 18 knots. Cruising in lind wind became just boring...

After 1 year kiteboarding I must say I kited more than windsurfed and enjoyed every single session!

Now the question is do I still want to windsurf with 20-25 knots or pump up the kite... you know the answer.

What I like in kiteboarding is that it is new to me so I have fun every single session even which 10-15 knots, gusts, rain and flat water. I guess it will evoluate like my windsurfing and one day I will be only happy with strong wind and big wave...

I hope it will last for some time then I will start some new radical watersport (or golfing :bye: )

Frank.

Return to “Kitesurfing”