Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone use a 6' Shortboard in light wind?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone use a 6' Shortboard in light wind?

Postby kitefrog » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:05 pm

Folks,

I've just had a day kiting in 10 kts and 2 foot waves on a 15m kite and a 6 foot directional board with no straps. Really good wind when there's very little wind. the board's really easy to get onto and ride, even holding down power and lean back against the rail is simple enough. The smallest of waves very be really good fun! Jibing, well that'll come with time!

I might get myself a used shortboard for this purpose. I figure a 6' shortboard is ideal, any suggestions? D.

yoursistersman
Medium Poster

Postby yoursistersman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:22 pm

thats what i use for the same purpose, that size works good for me, but for even more light wind power ill jump on an old funshape of something bigger

flemboyant
Medium Poster

Postby flemboyant » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:09 am

i rode my 6"4 a few months back behind the kite a few months ago and loved it. i think that it is maybe a lil too long though. goin to try my mates 5"9 next week. ill let you know how it goes. i dont bother gybing on it tho, just ride healside and go to toeside

Chris@sharkless
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Haven, Michigan

Postby Chris@sharkless » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:38 pm

hi I ride a 6'7 shortboard, for light wind and have my LF drop 136 for normal wind. All i ride

tekko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gorge- USA
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force USA

Postby tekko » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:04 pm

Surfboards are really getting popular Here in Cape Hatteras, with most guys riding 5'8-6'8... I am still a bit bigger and wanted something that would go even lighter and still paddle in on the glassy days, so I have just gotten a 6'10" JC Equalizer (not ready yet to buy surfboard just to kite, or would ride the Rocky but I am too fat to paddle in a 6')

We have been using the Surftech Tuflite epoxy boards, which seem to be the most durable- kiter friendly, and represent epoxy boards by some of the worlds best shapers. Seems to be a good idea, as Lou Wainman is riding his Tuflite M10 in a pic in the latest The Kiteboarder Magazine.

For more info on epoxy surfboards check-
http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.i ... ategory=98

DrM
Medium Poster

Postby DrM » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:06 pm

I've got a Tim Nolte 6'6" which I love. Coupled with my 19m - it's awesome for those marginal days. When you get it on the plane in marginal conditions it's kinda surreal - feels like you should be schlogging but you're crusing. They also go upwind like nothing else. Great fun.

R
Medium Poster

Postby R » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:46 am

It depends what you want to do and how big you are.

A small fast shape surfboard 6'4" or less will get you kiting and having fun in those marginal winds but depending on how big you are may not be any good for surfing on those offshore/windless days.

I've got an old 6'3" which I use to kite. My 6'10" is my surfboard. This way I don't wreck my good surfboard by smashing it around kiting.

Also the 6'3" is more fun on the kite cause it is easier to throw around.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:46 am

I've used an old 6ft surfboard before and it goes really well. Agreed it handles the lulls way better, no sinkin feeling. Don't worry bout jibing, just go toeside. for the record though due to the floatation it's easier jibing an old surfboard than a proper kitesurfing directional board.

pauly
Rare Poster

Postby pauly » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:13 am

How does everyone find the lack of bindings?
I have just started riding a 6'6 myself on those quiet days.

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:15 pm

I ride a converted 7'10" Town and Country wave sailboard (very light), and for my weight 102kg, it's loose for easy jibing but stable at speed through chop with the double concave and narrow square tail.

Thruster fins make a huge difference, recomend minimum three fins, and the center back fin can be smaller than usual, helps when going over shallow sand bars.

I moved the straps foward for kiteboarding, but only use them in heavy chop if I think I'll be getting a little air.

Even if I'm powered for the smaller TT, I still switch off to the directional for speed runs and to practice jibs.
(yesterday I clocked a max speed of 24.7mph(21.46kts) and covered 31 miles recorded on the GPS winds were 10-15kts)

Return to “Kitesurfing”