Axis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Easiest aerial handle-pass???

Postby Axis » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:25 am

Hi,

I am ok with surface passes, and want to be able to move on to aerial passes. What is the easiest one to learn? Is is a straight pull up?? This is the only one I have tried.....3 times only so can't do it yet. :o

How much harder does it get when you include a forward or back rotation?

Santa
Frequent Poster

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:25 am

:wink: Without having done it, on water yet I find (in my head) it easier to make at rotation, start making forward or Backward upside down spins that's faily easy... then do them unhooked, harder but possible, then build your experience from surface hp on and waahoouu there it is!

That's what I do when I'm learning new moves, build them from jumpsecments I know, and then put them together...

Like backward jump at high altitude, and transions downloop, when you handle both put them together...then you have 360 backspin/downloop, powerfull yet easy cause you did start with the whole move at once!

I'll be going for wake 360 hp first cause them I use to be able to do behinde a boat, let's see if that's possible with a kite as well :-?

all the luck to you!

Smooth
Frequent Poster

Postby Smooth » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:15 pm

I learned the Normal Pull-up passing from right to left first.

I think the clue and mistake many ppl do in the beginning when first learning the aerial HP is that they dont give themself enough time in the air, relax, do it on the way down.. you got the time :) ...

Do a medium sized jump in normal powered conditions.
Let the kite lift you up, Wait until you have reached the top peak and on the way down "when the kite is floating, not pulling you up" do the pass.

If you do it while the kite is pulling you up you have to lift 3 times the weight compared to when you are just hanging under the kite.

When you are landing theese, start doing variations with rotation and passing the bar either way..

Or you could try the Flat 360, where you dont pull up at all but are just passing the bar behind you in a rotation of the wave, (or go off the wave toeside and pass the bar, easier but mor a flat 180.. )

I think its harder to do the flat HP if you havent done it behind a boat before..

On the pull-ups: Be sure to send your legs up, commit and be aggressive!

good luck :bye:

Axis
Medium Poster

Postby Axis » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:34 am

Thanks for the advice smooth - we'll see how it goes.

Optimus_Angles

Postby Optimus_Angles » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 pm

Smooth wrote:I learned the Normal Pull-up passing from right to left first.

I think the clue and mistake many ppl do in the beginning when first learning the aerial HP is that they dont give themself enough time in the air, relax, do it on the way down.. you got the time :) ...

Do a medium sized jump in normal powered conditions.
Let the kite lift you up, Wait until you have reached the top peak and on the way down "when the kite is floating, not pulling you up" do the pass.

If you do it while the kite is pulling you up you have to lift 3 times the weight compared to when you are just hanging under the kite.

When you are landing theese, start doing variations with rotation and passing the bar either way..

Or you could try the Flat 360, where you dont pull up at all but are just passing the bar behind you in a rotation of the wave, (or go off the wave toeside and pass the bar, easier but mor a flat 180.. )

I think its harder to do the flat HP if you havent done it behind a boat before..

On the pull-ups: Be sure to send your legs up, commit and be aggressive!

good luck :bye:

adding rotations to arial handlpesses makes them harder. Its more things to do and hard to keep an eye on the kite as well.

Doing the handlepass on the way down is deffinately harder.

When you reach the top of your jump you become weightless where ur kite stops climbing and u keep going. Thats the easiest time to throw the handlepass.

lew

Smooth
Frequent Poster

Postby Smooth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:25 pm

Thats basiqly what I meant aswell.. But the point where you are weightless are where you start your pullup.. just dont pull yourself up on the way up.. thats just a workout :)

Bryan
Medium Poster

Postby Bryan » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:24 am

Practice on the beach underpowered without a leash when there is no one downwind of you. This gives you a feel of the motion.
It will then be much easier on the water.

Suerte :thumb:

Optimus_Angles

Postby Optimus_Angles » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:15 am

Bryan wrote:Practice on the beach underpowered without a leash when there is no one downwind of you. This gives you a feel of the motion.
It will then be much easier on the water.

Suerte :thumb:
pracitising this trick on the beach is good to a certain extent. It helps you learn to rotate around the bar but it does become a different trick entirely on the water. On the land u jump into it where as u need to pull up into it on the water. Trying the later on land could be very nasty if u ended up upside down. lewis

Mabu
Rare Poster

Postby Mabu » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:51 am

I find it hard to rotate my body.

any tips?

thks

Ten4
Frequent Poster

Postby Ten4 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:46 am

put a bar in a tree and practise every day until you can do them... start with the bar at head hieght... the work your way u higher.. finally make sure the bar is high enough so that when u grab it u can't touch the ground

Return to “Kitesurfing”