Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kaindl Windmaster 2: is it a good windmeter?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Kaindl Windmaster 2: is it a good windmeter?

Postby omg » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:17 pm

Is this a good windmeter? http://home16.inet.tele.dk/buggys/forsi ... maaler.jpg

I mean is it accurate since my current windmeter is really non-usable, way too inaccurate and I don't want to buy a second inaccurate one.

Thanks.

shawnwar4586
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby shawnwar4586 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:37 am

i have a buddy that bought that one and he dosent like it. he said the impeller is not replaceable its not waterproof and it dosent float. i have a kestrel 2000 pocket thermo and it works awsome. the impeller is replaceable, it floats, its water proof and it come with a hard case. i paid $70 for it and it was well worth it http://www.ambientweather.com/ke20hathwime.html this place has it at the cheapest on the web. i hope this helps you some how

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Kaindl Windmaster 2: is it a good windmeter?

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:44 am

omg wrote:Is this a good windmeter? http://home16.inet.tele.dk/buggys/forsi ... maaler.jpg

I mean is it accurate since my current windmeter is really non-usable, way too inaccurate and I don't want to buy a second inaccurate one.

Thanks.
I have sold skywatchs, Kestre, and now Windtronic2.
Skywatch - not very accurate and need to be pointed into the wind. Kestrel, more accurate, but all read low in my experience, and also need to be pointed into the wind.

Having to point a windmeter into the wind adds to its inaccuracy factor.

The Windtronic 2 is the most user friendly, and accurate meter I have owned or sold.
On the box it states that the meter is water resistant (same as Kestrel) and floats.
Has a tripod mount, same as cameras, replaceable battery that lasts up to 10 years, sold in Oz for $149, from Kitepower, and all good kite and yacht shops, wholesale enquiries welcome at Kitepower.

action jackson
Medium Poster

Postby action jackson » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm

This windmeter rocks!!! i had mine for 2 yrs and it still works great.Its been in sand ,rain,fog and is still as accurate as a new one.It is omnidirectional so you just set it on a tripod and let it go.You can check your session at the end with avg,peak and current speed.I owned others and this one is diffently the best..............aj

bdawg
Rare Poster

Postby bdawg » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:19 pm

I have had the kaindl for this last season and it works fine. It seems accurate enough for me. I think if you get it you will like it.

Blair

Bicho
Medium Poster

Postby Bicho » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:19 am

I owe one also, my girlfriend bought it to me for my last birthdaty late in june, works perfect for me. Much better than my old directional one.

md01
Rare Poster

Postby md01 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:18 pm

I have a couple of complaints, when it flies off the roof of your car at 50 mph it is difficult to find in the hedgerow at the side of the road due to the black color of its protective case.....also, it can look rude on your pocket. Never used mine in the sea so don't know if it is water resistant. Get one though, it measures wind speed accurately enough.

Jason Kitchen
Medium Poster

Postby Jason Kitchen » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:02 am

I have found the Skywatch series to be accurate and have tested them against Kestrels and a couple of Aus brands. They are all well made and you have a choice of an internal impeller or one on top that can take a measurement from any direction. The newer models are even backlit and the top model even has weather predictions from barametric measurements. Briskites sell them in Australia starting from only $85 AUD but thier should be somewhere in your country to buy them.

http://www.briskites.com.au

TilmanHH
Medium Poster

Postby TilmanHH » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:13 am

Just buy it and you´ll be happy. If it is a bit inaccurate (I don´t think so), just think of this: It doesn´t matter if it is 16 or 16.5 knots. What matters is that you also check the trees, the waves, the other kites that are already launched and so on. Depending on where you stand, there can be very big differences. :thumb:

BlueSky
Frequent Poster

Postby BlueSky » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:07 pm

Choose the kaindl windmaster, because it seems more robust than the ones from skywatch (the rotor of the windmaster is protected by bars). Bought it about two years ago and I'm still happy with it. It's not that expensive and offers a lot of functions (average/max/actual/ etc)

Sometimes you can be fooled easily by your windmeter, due to the location. Dikes, trees, dunes, etc. can easily influence the windprofile. So always be careful. :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”