Self Landing

Forum for kitesurfers
chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SELF LANDING

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't use a leash or anything and find this pretty simple. When I'm ready to land:

1) Depower your kite to the max (shortest fronts, longer rears)
2) Position the kite at about 15-25 degrees at the side of the window. If the area is small where you're landing, remember the kite will drift a bit backwards a bit. If there's crap on the beach, pick a spot where your LE will be relatively free of hitting debris when the kite hits the sand.
3) I position one hand on the end of the bar to steer the kite down
4) I position the other hand as far up on the chicken loop as I can
5) I steer the kite downwards very quickly as I lean back with the one hand to resist the kite.
6) After the kite has made its initial turn towards the ground, I pull the chicken loop towards me (if I have to I step forward) and let go of the bar and reach to the front line that is towards me
7) I grab the line and yank it hard as I step back

The kite will completely depower and fall to the sand

Takes a bit of practice but I have been doing this for years even in 30+ kts.

Self launching the kite with it out to the side is also possible and works well. Just gotta be sure your lines are for sure connected properly first!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Self Landing

Postby ronnie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:26 pm

DaveUK wrote:SELF LANDING - Over a beer the other day someone told they had seen a method of self landing by some how flicking the kite to land in the normal parked position. The exact method of performing this miracle was not revealed. I was a bit sceptical to say the least. At the moment I land in shallow water at the side of the window, let the bar go and then run like hell to be directly up wind before hauling it in - this method looks shite and often tangles lines. Anyone know of such a method or at least a better technique than I use at the moment?
I used to do it that way sometimes when I flew Cabrinha's that flagged to one front line. I flew it toward the ground and popped the Q/R when the kite was a kite width off the ground and it flagged out on thetop line and parked itself.

There is a video of the method here.

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/uploads/selflandkite.avi

Return to “Kitesurfing”