I don't use a leash or anything and find this pretty simple. When I'm ready to land:
1) Depower your kite to the max (shortest fronts, longer rears)
2) Position the kite at about 15-25 degrees at the side of the window. If the area is small where you're landing, remember the kite will drift a bit backwards a bit. If there's crap on the beach, pick a spot where your LE will be relatively free of hitting debris when the kite hits the sand.
3) I position one hand on the end of the bar to steer the kite down
4) I position the other hand as far up on the chicken loop as I can
5) I steer the kite downwards very quickly as I lean back with the one hand to resist the kite.
6) After the kite has made its initial turn towards the ground, I pull the chicken loop towards me (if I have to I step forward) and let go of the bar and reach to the front line that is towards me
7) I grab the line and yank it hard as I step back
The kite will completely depower and fall to the sand
Takes a bit of practice but I have been doing this for years even in 30+ kts.
Self launching the kite with it out to the side is also possible and works well. Just gotta be sure your lines are for sure connected properly first!