Forum for kitesurfers
DaveUK
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Self Landing

Postby DaveUK » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:12 pm

SELF LANDING - Over a beer the other day someone told they had seen a method of self landing by some how flicking the kite to land in the normal parked position. The exact method of performing this miracle was not revealed. I was a bit sceptical to say the least. At the moment I land in shallow water at the side of the window, let the bar go and then run like hell to be directly up wind before hauling it in - this method looks shite and often tangles lines. Anyone know of such a method or at least a better technique than I use at the moment?

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:58 pm

you need a leash that goes to whichever line is on top of the kite when youre landing.

For example, if the kite is coming down on your left side, at the edge of the window, the right wingtip is on top. You need your leach to be on one of your right side lines.

Practice this in lightwind.

With your kite at the edge of the window, about 6 feet above the ground, pull the side of the bar that would crash it into the ground. Just before it hits, let go of the bar and hold on to the leash. This will cause the kite to spin around as it's crashing and land in the normal kite-on-ground position.

The windier it is the harder it is to do this. Make sure your window is clear downwind when you try. Make sure you're ready for a downwind butt or heel drag if it goes wrong.

selah
Medium Poster

Postby selah » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:29 pm

The easy way is to have a bar that slides up either of the FWD lines when you release it. I think ya call it a reride line -- all you need is a couple of stainless rings tied at the ends of your center leader lines (or trim strap).

In under 20 knots the LE will drop fwd and flat against the sand/grass/water/rocks every time. In more breeze it takes some finesse and luck, and in the worst case you end up landing the kite like you do now.

Here's a photo of my bar, leash in pink attaching to harness or neck or whathaveyou:
Good luck.

kiteingcolin
Medium Poster

Postby kiteingcolin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:39 pm

works like a dream, just make sure your landing the kite on a clean surface, as the kite hits down and slides a few feet before it comes to rest, also follow your landing line hand over hand back up to the kite as a gust could flip it over and down the beach,

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:17 pm

landing it behind something that casts a windshadow also helps. if you are landing on grass know that the kite will slide and even spin back around if the wind is strong. be ready for it.

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:10 pm

In the technique that people are describing above it is important that you actually crash the kite into the ground. I am not talking a warp speed tomahawk into the ground, but keep the kite moving to the ground all in one motion allowing the kite to touch the ground before you let go of the bar and yank on the leash. This is especially true with 2003 and up kites, as they were designed to resist the tendency to nose over, so if you don't have a little momentum with the kite it may want to flip over and not nose down. Like people said practice in light wind, and always be ready to hold on to your leash and run upwind if the kite should fail to nose down. In high wind you really need to force the kite down with more momentum, and don't let go of the bar until it is down on the ground. Better yet; just have a friend grab it.

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:30 pm

fly to one side, drop the bar and pull the edge (by the centre or sterring line, depending on wind strength)of the kite closest to you directly into the wind

kite should land smoothly and safly

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:22 pm

practice the whole manuever in shallow water close to shore first if possible. it's basically the same thing.

fetguckd

Postby fetguckd » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:41 pm

i usualy just take it all the way outside the window and when its about to die i yank the front lines it falls right onto the leading edge

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:57 pm

Just ride until the wind dies,then there is no worries :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”