Do you have health insurance???

Forum for kitesurfers
Lindy @ Sharkless.com
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lindy @ Sharkless.com » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:45 am

We have blue cross/blue shield ppo and it covers nearly everything. Years ago chris broke his back from a rock climbing accident, and it was covered nearly fully. I can't recall how many times in the past couple years he's used our insurance, but it's a lot. Broken hand twice, badly brusied pelvis (from ice kiting) crazy skin rash from wetsuit twice... there's more, but I can't recall it all. I've only been in the hospital once to have my son. That medical bill alone makes having medical insurance worthwhile.

I just hope the insurance companies don't catch onto the fact that we live dangerous lives.

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

recent harvard study-1/2 banruptcies caused by medical bills

Postby gipseysurfer » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:43 pm

1/2 of US bankruptcy filers say out- of- pocket medical expenses led to their financial hardship and most of the people had health insurance, according to a harvard university study!

scarey stat

barry

Big Daddy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Chucktown Inc.

Postby Big Daddy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:35 pm

Insurance for commoners is hard to find in South Carolina. I pay $75,000 for 19 employees and that has a $2500 deductible per year.

We call the coverage major medical because you have to have a catastrophic event for it to work. Then they pay 80/20%.

Add a kite surfer to that and the premium goes up.

richierich
Rare Poster

Postby richierich » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:32 am

Careful to anyone travelling to the States or anywhere abroad as well. Some travel insurance doesn't cover accidents occured while kiteboarding. Read the fine print or you might not be insured and then loose your house. My wife and i got worldnomad insurance and they cover things like mountaineering and extreme sports. it is only available on the net.

Big Daddy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Chucktown Inc.

Postby Big Daddy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:58 pm

Rich,
But have you had to claim on nomad? Some of them sound good but just what is the benefit for a body slam. Lets see, how about a pelvis break!

Return to “Kitesurfing”