Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Camping on Paros, Greece?

Forum for kitesurfers
Megabear
Frequent Poster

Camping on Paros, Greece?

Postby Megabear » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi all - hooping a greek might help here, og somebody who knows greek conditions :-)

Me and a friend of mine are planning a vacation on Paros, greece from late june to late august. We´re looking for a place to camp with a tent - so i was hooping that somebody new about some places to camp on the island - also if you have to reserve places like that in advance or what?

I´ve found this place called aliki camping, but they don´t respond - anybody know them?

Friendly regards

Mikkel

apos0
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby apos0 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi, propably they are not open yet, most camp sites open around April May time.
If you go in July you will find places, but August and especially around the 15th its very difficult to get anywhere to stay as half of Italy comes to Greece!!
There is a kitesurf school there that might be able to give you some info about the conditions. I will try to find it and i will let you know. August you get wind nearly every day in the late afternoons, wind called Meltemi. Warm winds coming from Africa, Also in other areas you get a wind phenomenon that is called Boucadoura and you also get it in the early evenings. I spend my time between the UK and Greece and i can also recommend Lefkada island. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Apos

maddy
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby maddy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:33 pm

north east side paros

OK for wind & campings too, not to expansive studios as well (rigth on the spots)

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:40 pm

what´s a studio?

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby maddy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:16 pm

in europe (mostly grece and france) it means standard ROOM + KITCHEN (just a corner with fridge & fire & dishes)

very popular in the greek ilands (mainly privat houses offering it, no reservation needed, go and look for, easy to find, cheaper outside touristic areas and center of villages, 20 to 50 euros for a double)

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:23 am

Ok - thanks for the info, would love to hear more about leftkada thou. Is leftkada the same as leftka?

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:32 am

Dude,

i dont know Paros too well but naxos is perfect for you by the sounds of it.
its reached by a 30 min boat from Paros and you camp just behind the kite beach called Mikri Vigla.

Wind is perfect 120 - 30 knots cross onshore and it blows nearly all the time with no respite for sleep .

check this out....

http://www.naxos-windsurf.com

http://www.mikrivigla.com

there is no mention of a camp site but rest assured when you fall out of your tent you will walk 30 steps for coffee and 30 steps for kite....

this is my gallery from last years trip....

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/albut11

hope this helps.

regds.

Ron

steve_t
Medium Poster

Postby steve_t » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:57 pm

I was there last summer; there were dudes camping (caravans) right on the kitespot, Pounda beach. And some of those guys were there for months, like you are planning (lucky bastards!).

Steve

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Steve_T - how´s the beach as a kitespot? crowded ?

By the way thx for all info guys :D

steve_t
Medium Poster

Postby steve_t » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:20 pm

I was unlucky, since I was there the one week when there wasn't wind last July.

Anyways, I still managed to squeak out a few days, first day was real good while the wind was still on. Overall, I would say the kiting is really good (be prepared for small kites), atmosphere is ok, nice flat water, but yeah does get crowded kinda fast. Just sail up or downwind.

Nightlife: sucks. If you guys wanna spend 2 months kiting and then evenings at the campfire cookin marshmallows, that's cool, but if you want to go out at night, forget it. There aint much to do on Paros...

Why don't you guys just shuttle around with the Greek ferryboat system? Hell you got two months! Works great, after Paros we went to Kos, and then Rhodos - now Rhodos, was super fun.

Steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”