Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Australian East Coast Kitesurf - new to it.

Forum for kitesurfers
DickHead
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Australian East Coast Kitesurf - new to it.

Postby DickHead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:48 am

Hi All.

After having a few lessons I'm at the stage where I feel I am able to step it up a level. I'm in the process of choosing which kite and board, etc.

I've been doing a bit of reading on this site and others about shark attacks and what people think about body dragging and how a shark might misconstrue a body dragging kitesurfer as a lame seal or something else... What I want to know is, are there any shallow waters in sydney that I can get more experience in body dragging? I've been to Dolls Point and Ramsgate beaches and yah they start out shallow but get deep quite soonish and the kitesurfers there say there are sharks they've seen.

I realise that with Kitesurfing, like anything else there are inherrent risks and am willing to accept them however, I'd like to become competent in shallow water before falling off in deeper water and tempting fate with the noby clarkes. If there is nothing in Sydney is there anything in SE QLD? Someone mentioned a lake on Stradbroke Island and while it's not in the ocean (and no sharks) does anyone know if the lake is big enough to kite on?

Ideas, anyone??

Thanks in advance.

DickHead
Last edited by DickHead on Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

richierich
Rare Poster

Postby richierich » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:18 am

don't be a dickhead... don't stress about the sharks...if you made it to the beach on sydney roads alive you are doing well statistically and the Noahs Arcs aren't an issue in the bay. You are a lot more likely to hurt yourself by going inland to lakes with crappy wind effects than staying on the coast. Low tide at dolls is shallow for quite a way out anyway so its too shallow for the massive shark you are afraid of.
Saying that if you are THAT worried about sharks- kiteboarding in the water in australia probably isn't for you.

DickHead
Rare Poster

Postby DickHead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:46 am

Thanks Rich.

I'm not really at the same stage as you nor any of the other riders at Dolls Point. Some of the people there seem fairly competent in contrast to my ability. Like I mentioned, I'm really after some shallow water to water start in and to fall off loads without the fear of being chomped in two.

Fair enough point you make about kitesurfing in Australia and after I've given the sport ago and I've become competent and decide I'm still shit scared of having my legs eaten by a shark then sure, I'll sell the kite and take up morris dancing... But I'm sure I will get better at it over time and until then, I'm really eager to find a nice quiet spot thats shallow enough for me to practice my riding skills some more.

Thanks.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:22 am

maybe you will find a shallow beach here: http://www.kitebeaches.com

Never be afraid, if you have to die, you will die. Until then you can enjoy full force :wink:

Greets
Toby

bondo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bondo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:31 am

sharks arent interested mate. i see small sharks all the time where I ride (wello point, qld), and have it on good authority there are a couple of *big* noahs that live nearby. i have many long drags/swims here, and there have been swimmers here for years with no problem.

if you are really worried about it talk to some local kiters and windsurfers where you want to learn to see if there have been any sightings lately. otherwise just forget it, get in and have fun. i mean, are you going to worry about stonefish, blue ringed octopus, funnel web spiders and tiger snakes on the beach?

DickHead
Rare Poster

Postby DickHead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks Toby. Some nice beaches there that I wouldn't have originally considered. Woy Woy looks like an okay place to set up for a few beginner runs. Going to check it out next week.

DH

Ozgrom
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ozgrom » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:26 am

Woy Woy hahahahahah a begginers place hahahahaha barely anyone has ever kited there and it gets deep quick and theres oyster leases everywhere and moored boats and private jettys and shit gusty wind and this big great white called Scarface who eats people :o hahaha man your a funny bastard nah the place for shallow flat water on the coast is umina at lowtide inside the bar(Its on kitebeaches.com) but we kite next to the chanel that feeds brisbane water so its very sharky in there so maybe not the best spot for you but who cares f*** sharks there just big fish and there scared of the shadows from kites probly anyway. ok here are the lake spots from south to north. Picnic Point at the entrance is shallow for a long way out but it is nere were the water comes in from the ocean so maybe a bit daunting for the whole shark thing it works in SW W NW There is a spot near toukley(1.5 hours from sydney) called Canton beach that works in SE S SW W that is on a lake and isnt sharky at all and you can stand for about a kilometre out and then theres Budgie which is on another lake which works in NE. If ur coming up pick me up on the way at gosford and i will show you the way if you want :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”