prescription seaspecs

Forum for kitesurfers
kiter---)
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

prescription seaspecs

Postby kiter---) » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:30 pm

I saw on seaspecs website that they are available with prescription lenses. Somebody bought me a pair of seaspecs without prescription as a gift and when I went to my optician to change the lenses he told me that it was impossible to make prescription lenses for that type of glasses. I thought that maybe the optician was incompetent or something and asked another optician but I got the same answer.

Has anyone had this problem as well?
Do they mount or use special lenses or special techniques? I tried asking @seaspecs but have had no answe by now.

Dutchie
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dutchie » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 pm

What about asking them directly.. Safety glasse are also custom made for your eyes

tonycp
Medium Poster

Postby tonycp » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:13 pm

i got prescriptions from seaspecs & wouldn't recommned it --- thick glass meant real fog problems. The angle of the glass also meant for some weird distortion.

I now use an old pair of corrected ray-bans with a neoprene strap - open at the side and much clearer vision.

tony

blow
Rare Poster

Postby blow » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:27 pm

send me a picture of them as im an optician and ill let u know if it can be glazed

dylanflys@hotmail.com

have you tried daily contact lenses????

kiter---)
Medium Poster

Postby kiter---) » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:13 pm

http://www.seaspecs.com for pictures

there are some pictures. Do you know of any other brand producing cheap watersports glasses on which I can easily mount prescription lenses?

I found Jobe, aqua sphere, which are identical to seaspecs but cost just 15 euros but oviously They have the same problem as seaspecs to mount lenses on them.

I tried contact lenses but they are really irritating.

blow
Rare Poster

Postby blow » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:06 am

the problem with glazing lenses into this frame is the curve of the front and size of the lens.

it is possible and i know a company in england which may do it, where do you live?

to glaze these wont be cheap as stock lenses cannot be used as they are made in a best form design which is to flat.

as said above to design lenses which have an increased base curve can create distortions/abberations so depending on your pescription this could prove uncomfortable

if contact lenses arnt suitable i would suggest a cheap pescription sunglass with head band as these can be picked up for around £60
to glaze your sea spex is going to cost you more than this.....

if you live in the uk id be happy to send them off and get you a quote i work for a large company not my own business so unfortunatly i cant work any deals out otherwise i would help a fellow kiter out

good luck give me a shout if i can b of any more help

dylan

kiter---)
Medium Poster

Postby kiter---) » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I think i'll try to go to an optician and ask him whether he can make a couple of custom lenses non need to follo the curvature of the specs i'll fix them with some glue or silicone, or else I have a pair of lenses which have the same exact curvature of the seaspecs. Once I saw an optician which had a special glue which could glue togather lens ang glass with no distoirtion. I'll try to figure out something though.

kitestud
Rare Poster

Re: prescription seaspecs

Postby kitestud » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:04 am

http://www.silverfish.com has a wide range of frames that take a wide range of prescriptions.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 pm

No offense Kiter ...but that's like framing a house with a tack hammer?! Find someone with a daily lens script ..fake it up, like you did when you bought beer at 17, and buy a box online. Maybe 50cents each. Hell, I only loose 2-3 a year. I wear glasses when I'm not in the water 100% of the time - I am blind as sh_t without them.

.....or buy really cheap sunglasses if you have a mind-freeze. No sane person would ever bend forward in a typical Mall optical store after shopping here: http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

j i m

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:27 pm

on my 2nd pair of prescription seaspecs

first pair - first jump and crash a lense popped out- miracously caught it in the air. added super/crazy glue to where lense meets frame for insurance - worked fine except for smear of glue i stupidly made on middle of lense. vision was fine - no issue w/ the curvature thing. they do fog up a bit- but just drop ur head in the wather do the scuba goggle spit drill and they stay mostly fog free. lost the pair on a big crash on big wave day- ripped off my head and never seen again.

2nd pair- applied a ton of crazy glue- so much didnt see it had overflowed and superglued the frame at the hinges solid so i cant bend them, but vision fine.

will probably get a 3rd pair this year - for $200 bucks relatively cheap vs. regular frame/lense costs.

i have contact lense prescription that are monthly replacements- cant use daily disposals - and got sick of losing a lense every other session.

only complaint is styling - think the frame is goofy looking

Return to “Kitesurfing”