Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question for contact lens wearers

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Question for contact lens wearers

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 am

Toby wrote:
ronnie wrote:I've found that daily disposables stay in well in salt water, but come out easier in fresh water.
funny, now that you say it...I think I lost mine only in sweet water! Interesting...why is that?
I think the salt water dries your eyes and that causes the lens to stick to your eye more. It can be difficult to get a lens off after kiting in the sea. Some clean fresh water should help remove it.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 pm

I've been wearing contacts 40 years. 1day lenses since they first became available.
If I don't wear some sort of glasses on the water I'll lose a lens for sure. A hassle to come in and put a new one in.
So I wear cheap safety glasses with a headstrap. Still lose one or two a year so I always have spares in the car.
I have progressive lenses now and have to wear glasses at work, but pop in the contacts before kiting and toss them when I get out of the water.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:37 am

I wear one contact (daily) only to protect my left eye from dryness (result of cancer therapy). I can't use sport sunglasses because they let too much wind in and dry my eye and the lens too much. So I have to use goggles. They seal reasonably well and don't come off that easily (I wear a cap or helmet with the strap on the top). Haven't lost one yet. Have to use anti-fogging spray every time though.
these are pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/HiCool-trade-Anti ... ge_o04_s00
There are smaller versions available but I find those to limit my view slightly

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:01 am

I wore my glasses for windsurfing for 20 years and then 10 years of kitesurfing. Last eye exam I asked about disposable contacts and tried them in Cape Town for two months this year and once I got used to putting them in (still not good at it), they were great. Have not lost one yet, despite getting thrashed in waves. I discovered a major bonus over my glasses was being able to see at the end of the day when the sun was low in the western sky, hence had many more evening sessions. I kept a box in my car and put them in just before I went out, and removed them when done. $1 a pair can't be beat, but I'm lucky that both eyes are roughly the same prescription.

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby maurice_k » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:57 am

Hi Jim,

I am wearing contacts all my life. I have tried all sorts of goggles but the best thing for me, is that I just close my eyes when I fall. That's it. I am wearing day lenses.

Hope this helps,

Wind and season is coming.
http://www.seabreezekiteclub.com

Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair
Been thanked: 0

Postby posty » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:09 pm

I'm wearing monthly lenses and in combination with my seaspecs i never lost one.
I also never lost a seaspec even with unhooked into blind crashes.
Even if you do they float.
I simply cannot kite without them because my eyes would irritate after some splashes of salt water in my eyes.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:31 pm

They don't float in sweet water.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:45 pm

I also wear dailies for kiting and monthlies for regular use.

Only one time I had a problem. I was riding on a red flag day in Varadero, and if you have ever been to Varadero you know that a red flag day washes people off the beach out to see.

I was riding over surf and out of nowhere this massive barrel hit me from behind and pushed me to the bottom. Whenever i fall I always close my eyes to keep my lenses in, but this force was so strong it ripped open my eyelids and mount. So I was left getting back to shore completely blind a -5.0.

I have lost a lens or two from spray off the boat but i find the dailies stick much better than the monthlies.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:00 pm

shawn13 wrote:I was riding over surf and out of nowhere this massive barrel hit me from behind and pushed me to the bottom. Whenever i fall I always close my eyes to keep my lenses in, but this force was so strong it ripped open my eyelids and mount. So I was left getting back to shore completely blind a -5.0.
Same here. I'm actually a little worse even (5.50 right eye and 5.75 left........Coke bottle contacts!)

I was doing an ocean side downwinder in Hatteras in a good N'East. Halfway through the 7 mile ride,I got rolled in a bigger wave, kite crashed into the surf, lines were a disaster and both contacts got flushed. It was the epitome of suckage.

At 5.0 prescription you are a candidate for Lasik Shawn. I love having it!

There is no brail in kiteboarding.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:02 pm

I wear soft toric lenses.I have a steep astigmatism that can't be corrected with lasic.I wore gas permeable lenses for years and only lost one.The softs I never lost one,tore one once on water.They can be funky if they go "off axis"while kiting but they are great compared to wearing glasses. Got to make sure whatever you wear to keep clean,some nasty little things would like to grow in your eyes. Contacts and kiting are a virtual non issue imho

Return to “Kitesurfing”