Forum for kitesurfers
theviking
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Power in a kite

Postby theviking » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi!

I'm currious about what give a kite more power? Because it is clearly a difference i kite makeing here and the power in each size. I have flow a lot of the brands, but the one that is still i mystery is the Monkeykites 11m2 medium aspect kite. It has ALOT more power that any other 11m2 kite I have ever ridden.

A couple of my friends had a go at it, and they all said it was much more poewerfull than any of the 11 m2 kites they had tried. Is this because of the lack of the central strut? Selena or Saul, do you have an answer on this issue?

I started to wonder about this a day when all the other riders where out on 16-17m2 kites and I was powered on my 11m2!?

So I am currious, anybody tried the windwing, best and monkey, and give me a comperrison between them? I have not flown the windwing or best.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:53 pm

IT depends. For instance only because the kite says it is 11 m2, does not mean that the producers are true to the size. My 14 meter is WAY bigger than another brand's 14 meter (both are 'actual' size).

Secondly kites have a different surface the wind 'hits'. Without the center strut, it seems like that kite have larger surface that is powered by the wind like the Machine, BFK, or the new windwing. They are looking more and more like foil kites... ;-)
This is, although somewhat limited, my understanding of it.

a.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby not annonymous » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:30 am

Different kite designs have can have different shapes for the airfoil. Different airfoils behave differently.

Compare kites like the flysurfer warrior 16.5 and the Blade 10.5, which have a fairly similar useable wind range even though the warrior has a much larger surface (the warrior is more stable).

Some kites, such as flysurfer foils and the slingshot machine even change the airfoil to change the amount of "pull"

Return to “Kitesurfing”