Stance Width

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Stance Width

Postby ed257 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:46 am

Boards have gone shorter and wider the last couple of years. How is that affecting stance? What are the trends in stance width and angle on 2005 boards? Ducky or straight? Stance spacing (what is distance between the straps at the closest point)?

Thanks,

Ed

WANTSOME
Been thanked: 0

Postby WANTSOME » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:12 am

Getting a board made @ the moment that`s 130x39 and the spacing between inner bolt`s will be 15.5"..

Just the same as on my mountainboard..

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:31 am

Look after your knees
Jump off a chair a few times and check how you normally land
Measure it,this is your stance.
:crazy:

BigIan
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force, DaKine, Transcend, DcBoardz

stance

Postby BigIan » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:20 pm

In snowboarding a general rule of thumb is narrower stances with high angles towards the nose provide greater carving ability on hardpacked snow. I find in kiting that narrow angles due very little good. Currently I insert T-nuts in my boards to stand even wider past the normal stance. Ideally your feet should be just wider than your shoulders. This provides a command over the flex of the board and allows for greater pop and style. Just look how wide andre phillip stands and compare it to others then decide on what looks stylish. This is a case of form follows function. With greater control over the board one is allowed to stamp on hte back foot and the board will go up wind. My 2 Cents.

Wakestyle or no style its up to you - Ian

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:53 pm

hey BigIan - and other as well:

could you tell me with which method did you insert the t-nuts and (due to my lack of english terms) what's the t-nut like?

I need info on how to do it since my current board has too narrow stance (I'm too tall I guess)...

Thank you very much!

Toesidereefer
Frequent Poster

Postby Toesidereefer » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:32 pm

http://snowboardmaterials.com/pages/kit ... erials.htm Try this link for inserts. I've been using them for a while and they are very good. As far as putting new ones in an existing board. Router out the hole, insert the insert with epoxy/microballoons mix, and cover with a small patch of glass cloth.

lewis
Medium Poster

Postby lewis » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Why are you using baloons structurally?
Wouldn't microfibres be the choice?

BigIan
Medium Poster

Postby BigIan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:30 pm

I feel your pain I am 6'5, 230, and size 15 ft. Naturally I like to ride much wider than most and I like having a wider stance anyways then normal for my size. The simplist and very reliable way of doing this mod is to buy t nut inserts. Make sure they are stainless steel. I figure out where I would like my bindings. After I mark it off and measure to make sure. I progressivley drill larger and larger holes from a small drill bit to a bigger one through my board. Just until I can almost fit the threaded portion of the t nut in. I then use marine epoxy to coat the hole and slide the t nut into place. You may do this by hammering (although not recomended or screwing from the top. When tight the base of the t nut will work into the bottom of your board and should recees slightly into it. This produces a small divit in the bottom of the board that one can fill with more epoxy usually to be safe I will coat the hole and the tnut with some marine epoxy as to ensure a snug fit and prevent any water from entering the core. This has proven to work on both my liquid force drop and element. I have not experienced any weakness or added flex. I know many pro kiters do this to best boards as well as others. Depending on the board it may be a risk especially because you will hurt resale or void a waranty. I hope this helps. For any images or uses jsut search google for T-Nuts.

And remember wider is better. Although too wide and you run the risk of damaging your knees.

Wake steeze- Ian

[/img]

mo'wind
Frequent Poster

Postby mo'wind » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:03 pm

How much angle? The more the better? I would think so, but your knees could take a beating...

BigIan
Medium Poster

Postby BigIan » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:38 pm

I personaly like less angle perhaps around 10 degrees off of 0, 0 being the binding straight across the board. ON my snowboard I ride 15 front foot and - 8 or so back

Return to “Kitesurfing”