pok_17r
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Launching a Kite from a boat

Postby pok_17r » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:34 pm

Hi All
We live 10 minutes away from a massive lake 26 miles by 11 miles but the shore is on suitable for launching at our side. There are trees, rocks, barbed wire fences etc. We have looked but cannot find a suitable lunch site. So we are talking about buying an inflatable rid boat so that we do not have to drive an hour to two hours to a beach and we will also be able to get out in the evenings after work. Nobody kite surf on the lake that we know of. Problem is we know nothing about launching from a boat. Do we inflate the ribs on shore and inflate the main bladder when we get out to where we want to launch? How do we make sure the lines will not get tangled? And how do we let the Kite float away from the boat without creating problems? Can anyone please advise us???

Thanks Patrick

davo
Medium Poster

Postby davo » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:03 pm

Leave struts inflated, inflate main bladder on boat(if possible, electric pump sounds best for this) have lines connect including a fifth line. Using tension on fifth line only lanuch kite unroll lines as you go. Use a friend to help. Kite should stay unside down When all lines are unwound let out your 5 th line to tension other lines & water launch as normal. Be careful, if lines get tangled & you do it wrong kite can go out of control, if done right there's no problem. Good luck

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Check out http://www.kitelauncher.com. Mark Godley premiered the "turbolauncher" at Kite Show Cabarete in the Dominican Republic last weekend. It is made to launch from boats/jet skis or small beaches....

good luck!

Marina

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:42 pm

yap, the Turbo Launcher is what you need!

Cool toy and works!

Keep us informed when you tested it.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:48 pm

After kite is inflated have kiter swim away from the boat upwind at a 45 degree angle while undoing the lines from the bar. After checking lines have person in boat release kite. Landing is a little trickier especially if there's only one person on the boat since he must steer the boat to the kite and catch it almost at the same time. But I've done it. It's very easy to self launch with a Flysurfer kite and if you do a search on this site you'll find it's already been written about thoroughly.

davo
Medium Poster

Postby davo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:17 am

saw the website... still unsure of how it helps to launch the kite. Anyone explain please???

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:26 am

Is it possible to find out who the land belongs to and approach them about clearing a small area to go from?? Just a thought. Might be worth the legwork to save some hassle with boat launching all the time.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:36 am

Checkout the turbolauncher gallery. It kind of looks like some grafitti I saw in a gas station bathroom:

http://www.kitelauncher.com/gallery.php

Seriously, Flysurfer is the way to go. I ride at a lake where trees go right up to the water. I find a point where the wind is cross off shore and blowing to a nice landing spot appx 1/4 mile downwind. Driftlaunch yourself easily. Look at the flysurfer.de website and find the waterstart video. You will understand how easy in can be for you. Land the kite in the water. I pack it up into a mesh scuba backpack and hike back.

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 am

Here is a thread showing one of my boat launch's using a 5th line on a Contra 19.5. It works great after you get a little experience. Wind your lines on th bar with the 5th deployed. Keep the struts inflated. Inflate the kite in the boat on it's back as pictured in thread. Then unwind lines fom bar to let kite out. Jump in and do a 5th line launch.

http://www.lakawa.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2468

Kitelauncher looks interesting for boat launchs, I'd like to see it in action.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:52 am

Turbolauncher will have a video and illustration on their site soon.
Then it explains it all.

I will try to get the inventor in this thread to answer how it works.

Return to “Kitesurfing”