Forum for kitesurfers
Jahmi
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New bill will ban public from viewing NWA and NOAA data

Postby Jahmi » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:21 pm

"Here we go again. Apparently for-pay weather companies (specifically Accuweather) have lobbied Senator Rick Santorum to introduce a bill to ban the National Weather Service from 'competing.' The NOAA just made data available for free on the internet in XML format. Essentially, that means no more free data, and the possible elimination of the NOAA web presence all together. Nothing like being able to buy off a clueless Senator - lets hope the rest do not fall in line, as I for one, do not like to pay for my information twice." This debate picks up where the last one left off. According to the article, the bill's biggest critics are complaining of the bill's vague wording which makes it unclear what exactly is being banned.

This makes me sick! I have voiced my opinion to those asking for my vote.

Jahmi

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:49 pm

If you are an American (US), let Sen. Santorum know what you think about National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005 at http://santorum.senate.gov/
I did:

Sir:
I have for years enjoyed access to meteorological data from NWS and NOAA. your bill would cut public access to this info, limiting citizens to paying for dumbed-down, ad-laden products (aka crap) from private co's -TWC, etc. Millions of citizens-- mariners, aviators, outdoors people -and myself - depend on free access to quality data that the government gathers for the sole purpose of serving our interest. Many times our very lives may depend on this information. Withdraw this foolish bill. Do not support any bill limiting access to this vital information. If you think ordinary citizens should pay for weather forecasts, just try paying for a private marine or aviation forecast yourself. Every day.
Sincerely,
BWD

What do you think? Apologies if this topic seems political. I see it as purely a safety issue, or I wouldn't speak up.

Green Head
Medium Poster

Postby Green Head » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:19 am

This santorum guy is a right wing dick. i would like to put him in a box with a thousand green heads. who voted for this kook :evil:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:40 am

This is a highly dangerous and irresponsible move on the part of government. Accuweather used to be pretty good but in recent years I have lost faith in their forecasts. I actually subscribed to one of their premium services a while back.

Beyond that, what responsible party feels that supressing critical weather data is in ANYONE'S interest, aside from a very few commercial sites.

What do we do when hurricane season comes or winter snow squalls for decision making or merely a summer squall line when it comes to kiteboarding, hang gliding, paragliding, etc. weather planning? Go to Accuweather? I doubt they have enough liability coverage, liquid assets or influencial parties in the public sector to save them from a round and well justified financial gutting. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea this stupid policy was being forced through.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:06 am

More about this inane attempt on the part of a public "servant" to ban public access to very important information appears at:

Feds' weather information could go dark

By Robert P. King
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Do you want a seven-day weather forecast for your ZIP code? Or hour-by-hour predictions of the temperature, wind speed, humidity and chance of rain? Or weather data beamed to your cellphone?

That information is available for free from the National Weather Service.

But under a bill pending in the U.S. Senate, it might all disappear.

The bill, introduced last week by Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., would prohibit federal meteorologists from competing with companies such as AccuWeather and The Weather Channel, which offer their own forecasts through paid services and free ad-supported Web sites.

continued at:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/conte ... _0421.html

more info at:

http://rawstory.com/exclusives/byrne/sa ... er_421.htm

Checkout part of his legislative history. This guy is a legislator for the voting public or representing the special interests of? It might appear that the majority of his bills are directed at bringing financial relief to some commercial interest or another vs. more broadly directed at things intended to benefit the public. Or do I have it wrong?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/? ... ))+01015))

vaguelyswami
Medium Poster

Postby vaguelyswami » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:55 am

vaguelyswami
Medium Poster

Postby vaguelyswami » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:55 am

danimal
Medium Poster

Postby danimal » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:11 am

Assuming you don't live in PA - in addition to emailing senator Scrotum don't forget to email both of your states' senators. They are much more likely to pay attention as you have the ability of voting for or against them in the future.

Green Head
Medium Poster

Postby Green Head » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:56 pm

The green head is going to do everything in his power to get this bozo.

The republicans claim what they do is good for business.

however being good for business doesnt necessarily make it right :idea:

This bill would be great for accu weather but bad for everyone else.

this is a great example of my forementioned summation of right wing crap.

antdog
Rare Poster

Postby antdog » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:56 pm

its a good thing for thad dod pki cert I have then.

Return to “Kitesurfing”