Who still uses a pulley bar?

Forum for kitesurfers
sidestancesports
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who still uses a pulley bar?

Postby sidestancesports » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:46 am

Interested if anyone still uses a pulley bar. If so waht are the pros and cons. I have been told I am too lite for a pulley at 73kg? as the depowers is not so good?
I also like to really power up my kite to the max when out, I am thinking I wont get the max power from a pulley as it is alwalys on medium power?

Any help on these bars would be great

Cal
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cal » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:10 am

With a pulley there is no adjustment to the power of the kite "on the fly" by moving the bar, you have to use the sheeting cleat or strap - just like the adjustments on a normal bar.

There is nothing to say what power a pully bar will be at, as it IS adjustable by the sheeting strap as said above.

Rider weight has nothing to do with using a pulley or not, it just means you use a smaller kite, which everyone does when riding pulley vs riding a chicken loop. The only real reason for riding a pulley is if you want to do lots of unhooked wake tricks... if you ride in gusty conditions forget the pulley.

I have 1 of each, i like the pulley in the right conditions, it doesnt come out often tho as we usually get gusty wind here...

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:07 am

Been using a pulley on me 18 and will on me 15 when it arrives which will be me biggest kite this year as the 18 is a bit much unhooked
bout the pulley bar

Luv it
Best thing is the kite is always trimmed right when you unhook. You have to change your timing on some things like waves for example because you're probably used to anticipating the turn a lot with a normal bar and with a pulley if you go full steering the kite just turns around on the spot and flies the other way, waiting for you to catch up
:lol:
Launch unhooked all the time and have a 5th as a leash. Great for just dropping the bar. Steering the kite for one handed unhooked moves is much easier with a pulley bar than a normal bar.
About the med/max power, you trim the bar to hold the kite like you want. Full power will be about the same so the pulley bar has to have the back lines about 15-20cm longer than a chicken bar. Check the tips are straight. If they flair the bar gets heavier, the kite turns slower and will have a tendency to stall and pull you downwind
No problem with gusty stuff, you just have to know how to control the power with the kite/board
Jumps are great, hooked or unhooked, never come down because the kite is never oversheeted/depowered but always at max power for those conditions depending on how you trim it with the trim strap. At first you'll muck around with the trim a bit but then you get the hang of using more/less power with kite position, board speed, edging, braking, riding at the kite, etc
It's a ton o fun
Gofer it
:thumb:
Mac

Ps: Here's a few pics of the bar I'm using
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2316296&highlight=pulley

Ten4
Frequent Poster

Postby Ten4 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:18 pm

too light !!!!!!!!!!! ahahahahahahahahahha

i am 55kg i use it on all my kites ; 8,10,12

its great for really getting the most possible power out of your kite,+ its got the same power unhooked and hooked and it gives you way better board control, like in edging it teaches you to use the board as you have no instant depower like on a chicken

nwk
Rare Poster

Postby nwk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:11 pm

hi there, i have never used a pulley before but was wondering if on my 5th el. bar just hooking into the micro hook would give the same result as flying with a pulley bar.

i havn't really hooked in that much except when underpowered but was wondering if hooking in more on the waves will help with turn speed. i think it would be a safer option over here as its often quite gusty.

any opinions on this

P

Smooth
Frequent Poster

Postby Smooth » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:06 pm

HAHA.

I use my pulley alot.
10 meter kite
20 meter lines
Pulleybar

Power - Constant
Feeling - Constant
KitePowerfeelingtouch - Supah..

All conditions are pulley conditions.. Hang on. :o

Kiteloops
HP shait

Boards.. they all rock with pulley.
Surf
Freestyle
Speed

DO IT...

Conclusion : Pulley bars rock :D

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:15 pm

i dont mean to diss pulleys but unhooked shit is easier on a 4line/5line setup.

I've been looping unhooked on a pulley bar and 4/4 times the suicide leash snapped if i lost my bar. If you ride pulley and unhooked i really dont suggest riding suicide setup if youre powered. It's awesome to be able to grab the center though.

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mikeysfl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:22 pm

consumer wrote:i dont mean to diss pulleys but unhooked shit is easier on a 4line/5line setup.

I've been looping unhooked on a pulley bar and 4/4 times the suicide leash snapped if i lost my bar. If you ride pulley and unhooked i really dont suggest riding suicide setup if youre powered. It's awesome to be able to grab the center though.
Your pulley bar is set up wrong. You probably attached your leash to the loop. You should put it above the pulley(on the metal ring that attaches your depower strap to your pulley). This should depower the kite almost completely when you let go of your bar, and you won't snap your leash.

trey3
Medium Poster

Postby trey3 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:45 pm

i have 5th line/ pulley... above post is correct, through the ring.....drops like ....a kite...

stakas
Frequent Poster

Postby stakas » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:03 am

....plus a pulley bar is a lot safer. You push the bar away.... that's it. There is only one loop to get out..... no safety thingys to remember. You keep planning a lot longer because you don't keep jerking the kite sheeting in-out!

Return to “Kitesurfing”