Forum for kitesurfers
nowindsummer
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Light Wind kites

Postby nowindsummer » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:36 am

Ok I'm looking at getting a light wind kite for summer,

I've seen a North Rhino '04 18m, Slingshot Fuel 17m and a Flexi Storm 3 18.5m.

What would you people recommend? And why?

Cheers

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:58 pm

The Fuel is a bag of nails in light wind. Dunno about the Storm3 - never even seen one. The Rhino 4 is a good bet...but don't forget your weight, skill, the board size and wind strength are bigger factors. You'll be able to go upwind in 10 knots on a 140*46 with a bodyweight of 75-78 kg with the Rhino.

Bet you get three different opinions to your question!

Steve Martin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach and Blue Lagoon Marina on Lake St. Clair around Detroit, Michigan
Gear: Cabrinha: Contra 14m and Omega 9m
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:14 pm

Agree with the previous poster. Just yesterday, I tried out my new 135 x 44 cm light wind board for the first time and was surprised on how much more low end it added versus my 132 x 40 cm board. I agree a 46 cm wide board is optimal. I'm building one now.

In the next month, maybe a week or two, The Kiteboarder Magazine will have a write up about light wind kites. I suggest waiting for the writeup if you're going to buy new, if the kites that you listed are used and you're limiting your choices to just those, then I'm not sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”