Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:37 pm

@refursylf

can you exactly state which mag from which country you mean??

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gbgreen59 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:59 pm

I don't know what mag refursylf is bashing, but he has my vote for editor. Good list of topics I want to read about.

nwk
Rare Poster

Postby nwk » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:56 pm

i have to say, resurfly or whoever the first guy on this thread is, you are f***ing right on cos i just got kitesurf (uk) last week and it is the biggest heap of verbal runny poo( i cant spell diarrreeeeeeaaaaaa) and i have decided that i will give it one more try and if the next one is the same as the last i will cancel my subscription at my local newsagent.

actually come to think of it, i could do a mag like that

KITESURF (IRISH EDITION)
me and the lads were out last week and we were f***in brilliant, it was mad windy,we were absolutely mad, ahh you should have been there, we did loads of stuff and then went and got pissed and got sick everywhere and cant remember a f***in thing, it was deadly.

we tested loads of free kites and there wasn't one thing we didnt like about them and they were all f***in brilliant and thanks to North,Naish,Cabrinha,Slingshot,etc for the free gear and we hope we dont offend you in any way cos we really appreciate your adverts. all the kites and boards and ....... stuff is cool and we have never tested anything bad.

tits and bums and stuff and other photos.

P has a big willy, Mark and Nogie are maddd, the other Mark is also mad, slim is really f***in mad and Aidan is really sensible, and everyone in the world really knows all of us.

i also get Kiteworld which isnt too bad, what other mag is worth gettin. what about kiteboarder, whats it like now?

signed:-

P, slightly tiddly after 2 pints, a brandy and port and 3 glasses of wine

refursylf
Rare Poster

Postby refursylf » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:52 am

Both mags I'm refering to are UK editions. I maybe in Oz but I asked a mate to bring me back some kite surfing mags from the UK cos magazines over there are usually pretty good (magazines in general).

Like look at the Australian version of T3 (gadgets) over here we get a trimmed down version of last months UK edition... That sucks! I don't care that the Sony DCRDVD 403 won't be released in Oz cos I've got eBay.

But seriously I don't like groupy kite crap I want kite information, if I wanted groupy shit I would buy "Hello! kite boy".

I want honest KB gear reviews without having to trawl the forums cos there's always > 1 guy who thinks his crap is awesome.

Peace.

PS: Australian KB Mag?? That's another insult to paper. Haven't read Kitesurf AUS, where can I get it?

Where can I download the US "THE Kiteboarder"?

Thanks.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:09 am

yeah, hopefully the kite magazines don't go the way of snowboarding magazines which are now all garbage. (except for snowboard journal which is the only content rich big mountain mag while i'm on the topic) anyway, long ago i stopped trusting any reviews in snowboard mags and gave up on expecting any content in the articles. heck, i can read powder magazine for some content, but that's mostly a bunch of anti-snowboard attitude even though its about f*cking powder! how the hell did i get on this tangent?

oh yeah, keep some good content in the mags. without bashing titles, half the kite mags i've read this summer are pretty much sh*t. the new product previews are merely whatever marketing blurb the manufacturers have in their brochure. everybody is afraid to actually post an honest reviewing stating what new kites rock, which suck, and the same for new features. i guess the industry is small enough that if a kite mag writes a bad review of Brand X they can kiss that ad revenue goodbye. That's too bad.

The only honest opinion is probably the location reviews because they're written by someone stoked about a trip. everything else i can find on a company's website.

i do appreciate the chick pics though. :grin: nothing wrong with a little T&A amongst the kite news. if they want to throw in the occasional kite guy that fits the tastes of kiter girls, well, its only fair.

-t

ASNewsForumFuzz
Frequent Poster

Postby ASNewsForumFuzz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:19 am

To download past issues of "The Kiteboarder" go visit http://www.theringmedia.com/KBMAG/Archive.htm

From the 7 or so different magazines the Kiteboarder was the only one that I have read more then 4 times cover to cover. It has SO MUCH info with some awesome photos. this next issue is gonna be sick. Look for my name in the mag :thumb:

farqueue
Medium Poster

Postby farqueue » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:16 am

There is no Oz Kitesurf magazine. I was talking about the May/June edition of UK Kitesurf.

I agree that Oz Kiteboarder is totally shite. I have not bought US Kiteboarder for a while.

A bit of T&A is totally lame compared to Gisela in the Kiteloop.

I assume refursylf must be talking about the July/August edition of Kitesurf that we won't see here for a while yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the July/August edition of Kitesurf people. Kiteforum at its finest hour.

surfineurope
Rare Poster

Postby surfineurope » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:03 pm

You can also download KitesurfinEurope from http://www.surfineurope.net/phpBB2/news ... e&lang=eng and find a relaunch test comparing North Rhino 05, Cabrinha Contra, and Flysurfer Extacy. At least it's free so if you don't like the mag you can just delete it...

Cheers,
Jonas

davince
Medium Poster

Re: Kitesurfing magazines!

Postby davince » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:08 pm

refursylf wrote:...
I want to know about kites! I want you to give me indepth knowledge about the flight characteristics on the Nova, Venom and all other kites on the market. Predictive analysis based on AR.

I want to read about what makes a good wave riding board.
I want to read about which lines are good.
I want to read about AR, WAC, safety, Bars, AoA
I want to read about impact vests.
I want to read about wetsuits.
I want to read about fins.
I want to read about kite materials.
Reviews, reviews and more reviews!
Technical pictures.
I may be interested in reading an interview with a kite designer.
Kite mods.
Basically what you would like is a car magazine... but for kites...

You've got some good points. this "Kitesurf" mag looks top class. Makes you feel proud to belong to the tribe :party1: .

But tech mags can be kind of boring too. Look at a german mag to see what I mean. Nothing really wrong about them. Convenient. But never really helped to choose my gear either.
And I just hoped kitesurfing was a bit more than what gear i am going to get next (my problem, I hate myself for this). I often wonder how good it is for the sport all this focus on gear.

cheers,

Rou Chater
Rare Poster

Re: Kitesurfing magazines!

Postby Rou Chater » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:41 pm

The other day I got Kitesurf magazine and I would just like to share with you's what a load of crap it is!

Every one is allowed an opinion

Who the f really gives a s**t about Ben and his freaking girlfriend?!
I don't want to hear about some stupid road trip!

You don't hear it you read it, so if you don't like the look of it don't read it!

And I don't care about Aaron or his girlfriend or their stupid party last week.

Errr is that Aaron Hadlow World Champion, a hell of a lot of people care about him, he and guys like Ruben and Cesar are defining our sport, without them the sport would be rather lame and probably cease to exist due to lack of mainstream interest.

I want to know about kites! I want you to give me indepth knowledge about the flight characteristics on the Nova, Venom and all other kites on the market. Predictive analysis based on AR.

OK so the Nova and Crossbow were first flown in the UK on the 26 of July we went to print on the 15 of June and the mag was out well before the kites, I AM NOT A GOD! But they will be fully featured in the Sept Oct issue

I want to read about what makes a good wave riding board.
I want to read about which lines are good.
I want to read about AR, WAC, safety, Bars, AoA
I want to read about impact vests.
I want to read about wetsuits.
I want to read about fins.
I want to read about kite materials.
Reviews, reviews and more reviews!
Technical pictures.

This year we have printed over 20,000 words and loads of pics on test write ups, like em or hate them they are there, on wetsuits, kites, boards, wave boards, just not in this issue, sorry!

I may be interested in reading an interview with a kite designer.

We have interviewed both Nicholas and Pete the designers of the Xbow and the Nova and it will be in our feature next issue.

Kite mods.

And ruin your warranty right!

U can even throw in some buggies and landboards (We would rather not) just don't give me groupy s**t or interviews with unknown riders who haven't got anything interesting to say expect that he lost his stupid f**king van to the tide and got $3000 back for it. (presume you are talking about Chris Bull, well he actually is one of the pioneers in the UK and has been kiting longer than most people, he has also ridden accross the channel twice in one day and is one of the most well known riders over here. And if you had a sense of humour like most people you would have understood it.)

And hold the chicks cos my Mrs gives me shit about it ( So cause you have a missus we all have to suffer, a bit selfish fella) and thats what I'm usually doing at the time and it puts me off, ( you aren't making any sense here) anyway I just need to google 'big ass bit*hs' and I get all the titilation I need.

Instead I get a self glorifying fag telling me about where Ben was raised, the stupid weather and how he used the locals to setup his fag slider!

Alexander Jowett is one of the most respected photo journalists in the industry and not a "fag"

May I also add that Kite World is another pile of s**t!
In such a small indusrty we are lucky to have two magazines, both very different but thats a whole lot better than none.

U editors/writers are a bunch of f*g want be kiters who add nothing to kiting except 100 pages of ass wipes. ( we actually print 132 pages mate, count them they are all there.) Get a f***ing life and give me some reviews for my money. (reviews in the last issue and the next, there just isn't enough new kit to review every issue, don't blame us about that!)

I too have friends who call me for kiting trips and I too get there and there's no f***ing wind! (Happens to us all)

But what I don't have is the money or industry contacts to try out the gear that's why I buy a kiting mag.

Haven't you got a relationship with a local dealer who you can call on to get demo rides? If not get the back issues with all the tests in, and do a bit more research before you go shouting off.

Is there any English mag out there that is worth reading.

Yeah loads, Kitesurf isn't to everyones taste, no magazine will please all the readers all the time, if we made a dull lifeless tech mag to please you all the guys who enjoy the fun stuff would moan. At the end of the day its all kitesurfing and you should chill and get out there on the water.

After all thats what its all about!

Rou Chater
Editor/Fag Wanna Be Kiter

Return to “Kitesurfing”