Forum for kitesurfers
Woody
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacement Takoon SkoopI 11,5

Postby Woody » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:19 am

After using my skoop I for 2,5 years, my kite has torn into nearly 2 pieces. So now I have to look for another 12m2 kite. What I am looking for is a kite which I can fly as soon as the skoop and also with great depower. I loved the skoop for that. I have tried the Nitro and Airush Lift Pro. Both of them didn't have enough low-end. Turning speed was good.
Other kites maybe Naish X4, Rhino4 or Rhino5 or Best Nemisis.
Any suggestions?

:bye:

Taz P
Medium Poster

Postby Taz P » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:18 am

Like you I had a skoop 1.5 for over 2 years. I changed for a Globerider 12m Lift. PERFECT!! Good low and high end, fast. The transition from the Skoop to the GK was a piece of cake.
But you can also go for the new skoop!

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:44 pm

Man, I still have my Skoop! It's my favourite kite. I don't ever want to have to replace it but I guess I will at some point!

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:03 pm

yep min let go too

Finding a "frenchstyle" kite these days has become a little more difficult
to find.
By frenchstyle, I mean it's biased toward the front lines, leaving a lot of depower, and requires a heavier hand unless you use a sheeting device.

AirBlasts, Skoop II, and GK are all the same feel. (Actually they all had similar design teams, or parts thereof). I have lost track of Takoon design as they are no longer available in the States.
I agree with Taz that GK follows the same feel. And that is on the Lifts. The Curls are in between the Skoop and the Wook, IMO

Good luck. That model still holds a dear spot in my heart. Hard to follow

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Well, I am a 100% "Takoon'ist" :thumb:

Meaning - I loved the Airblast's, and when Bruno stopped with Wipika, and started Takoon - I followed the "brand" change, to be able to keep my own favourite kite style.

I really love the Airblast/Skoop kite style !

Lots of depower, perfect "gust" absorber, excellent jumps and upwind ability - great performance.

I wont let go of that 8)

So if you really loved your Skoop(1) 11.5 - go for the Skoop3 or 4 :P

Why ?

Because you know your kite, and like this style.

And the Skoop2 had lots of depower, but not very good low end - and it had too high AR, to be fully stable, and could be a bit difficult to relaunch when not pumped extremely hard.
Skoop(1) had good low end, compared to Skoop2 - I also loved the 11.5 Skoop(1) :D

But with the Skoop3 and 4, the low end came back !

A bit lower AR, and thinner but more curved profile - AND the span line that stabilises the kite fully in the turns, and delivers extreme jumping ability.

3 and 4 are very much alike in flying characteristics - main difference is Skoop4 has so many really nice and sleek details - like integrated tip struts, better contra vents, thinner and segmented and more struts, pump leash and/or 5'th line, reinforced bladders - almost impossible to damage.

So a Skoop3 would be fine, if you are in really "low price" mode.

And the Skoop4, you'll just love - if you are into max. performance, highest and longest jumps, okay low end, and still incredible windrange - combined with nice details.

Here my Skoop4 14.5m2 in Hurghada:

And my 11.5m2 - 9 thin struts as you can see here:

And "batwing" trailing edge - no flapping anywhere...

Optional 5'th line attachment points (I most often fly with 4 lines - to have less drag and jump higher... But when practising new unhooked kiteloops, I change it to 5 lines):

Again, in Hurghada - with my 9m2, and my girlfriend Pia:

Because I love this riding style, I am not in doubt at all :thumb:

Jumping high is THE most fun - here, home in Denmark:

Kindly, Peter Frank.

Kiwi Blue
Rare Poster

Postby Kiwi Blue » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:18 am

After reading this thread I've got all nostalgic and have dug out my old Skoop 1s (6.5, 8.5 & 10.5, that's wipika sizes for you young uns)). It has been a long time since they have been used, I seem to remember the lines are set up differently to other kites. Back lines shorter, I think :-? Can anyone remember the correct set up for the lines? Mine have got the bridles removed.

hawaiikiter
Frequent Poster

Re: Replacement Takoon SkoopI 11,5

Postby hawaiikiter » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:21 am

Woody wrote:After using my skoop I for 2,5 years, my kite has torn into nearly 2 pieces. So now I have to look for another 12m2 kite. What I am looking for is a kite which I can fly as soon as the skoop and also with great depower. I loved the skoop for that. I have tried the Nitro and Airush Lift Pro. Both of them didn't have enough low-end. Turning speed was good.
Other kites maybe Naish X4, Rhino4 or Rhino5 or Best Nemisis.
Any suggestions?

the skoop 4 11.5 of course... best kite ever...or the new Takoon A.I.R. coming this fall(?)? or a crossbow or nova?

bru
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FONE Mystic

Postby bru » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:16 pm

Get the Wook 3 12 - this is a phenominal kite and gives you fantastic depower and really good bottom end on the kite.

velns
Medium Poster

Postby velns » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:55 pm

consider also takoon HB PRO11m2.. really excellent kite :thumb: best from high and mid aspect. the only problem might be availability, since they were produced in limited quantities, as far as i understand.

sold mine a week ago and still have a feeling that have done the wrong thing :-?

Woody
Medium Poster

Maybe Skoop again

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 pm

I like to hear other people liked their Skoop too. Where I do kitesurfing I am almost the only one with a Skoop. What Peter-Frank wrote that it also picks-up gusty winds is also my opinion. When many others where blown away in gusts, I couls still go on. You can jump very high with it. Only neg. point is short hangtime. Maybe because of my weight, 98 kg (oeps).
I was also considering to buy a second-hand SkoopI. Still possible.

I have fixed the enormous torn with only tape (I had to fix 5 m torn ripstop) on both sides. I have used it already for 4 hours and it holds up to now. Now I have more time to look for another kite. Maybe again the Skoop (1, 3 or 4). I didn't know the Skoop II had less low-end. So now I know I won't buy that one.

Other suggestions still welcome.

8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”