Forum for kitesurfers
Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tom183 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:44 pm

For maximum low-end, you need a big fast board AND a big fast kite - especially if you're a heavyweight.

10mph on the ikitesurf meter (which reads about 7mph at ground level) is the minimum for me (205lbs), using 17m SPEED and 147x42 flat/finless board.

Gary.
Medium Poster
Location: Flexifoil Fusion / Litewave FS. IKO level 2 Instructor.

Yes

Postby Gary. » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:36 pm

I've not read all the reply's to this, but I can confirm you can kite in winds under 10 knots, as long as you have an OPPOSING CURRENT.

A couple of my local spots have a really strong rip in estuary mouths of 6+ knots. We are quite often 'ripping' when others up the coast are not.

I'm a heavyweight at 90kg ish and quite reguarly ride in 8 knots of wind on a regular 20m kite and medium sized board in the estuary mouth. You can't get big air's, but you can load up for wake style shit, and the water is like as smooth as a mirror!

Bonus is in the current that you scream upwind!

dougdstecklein
Medium Poster

Postby dougdstecklein » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:34 am

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. It seems as though from the list of replies about boards and their shape that the board is just as important as the kite. I am still pretty new to kiteboarding, so these little bits of information really help. I have been a wakeboarder for about ten years and love it, but the feeling I get when I am wakeboarding just doesn't compare to when I am kiteboarding. It is something I feel I will be doing for the rest of my life, whether it be jumping in overpowered situations or just cruising in light wind with an occasional 16 inch jump. All I know is that the people watching from land will see a big smile on my face. :D

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:53 am

Just my 2c,
I mostly use a R5 16 as a light wind kite, and I made a plywood door,
162x42, finless.
This board allows riding upwind in almost no wind...

I've tested a speed 10 with this boaard, and believe me or not, I have the same low end as the rhino 16... which is around 8 knots.
Some of the folks on the beach told me me that the wind was between 6/8 knots.

So, I don't have a lightwind kite, but a lightwind board :-)
And if the wind slightly increase, I just have to pick up a smaller board.

surfkansas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Smithville Lake *North of Kansas City
Gear: North Rebel 16

Whats Up

Postby surfkansas » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:36 pm

Doug-

We all have to get together real soon and kite around KC... Where are you kiting most at these days?

Sean :bye:

hein
Very Frequent Poster

Postby hein » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:49 am

You Kansas boys need to make a road trip to
Cheney, Wilson or Hefner to ride. And a South
TX trip in October and April.

gdorfman
Medium Poster

Re: Yes

Postby gdorfman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:15 am

yes, well then you have 14 kts of wind. i hope you can kite in that. not only 14 kts of wind, you can also kite a lower and more powerful angle with the kite deeper in the window.

are there any protected sections or eddies you can ride into? that would be interesting. very abrupt.
Gary. wrote:I've not read all the reply's to this, but I can confirm you can kite in winds under 10 knots, as long as you have an OPPOSING CURRENT.

A couple of my local spots have a really strong rip in estuary mouths of 6+ knots. We are quite often 'ripping' when others up the coast are not.

I'm a heavyweight at 90kg ish and quite reguarly ride in 8 knots of wind on a regular 20m kite and medium sized board in the estuary mouth. You can't get big air's, but you can load up for wake style shit, and the water is like as smooth as a mirror!

Bonus is in the current that you scream upwind!

Gary.
Medium Poster
Location: Flexifoil Fusion / Litewave FS. IKO level 2 Instructor.

Postby Gary. » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:25 am

Oh yeah, as soon as you leave the current you sink and have to drag back, tip is; don't !

Return to “Kitesurfing”