Don't do Stupid Kiteboarding Tricks

Forum for kitesurfers
gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Don't do Stupid Kiteboarding Tricks

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 am

Do whatever is fun for you, but just because it's really hard doesn't mean that it's really cool. I think that's the problem with a lot of the pros. They just look stupid doing some of the complex maneuvers that I see on DVD, etc. The really, really good riders in my area look WAY cooler doing much more basic, more fluid maneuvers with grace and style than the crap that some of the "pros" do. I think the problem is simply that kiteboarding is so damn easy. And doing tricks while kiteboarding is so damn easy. So people just want to do something "different" that nobody else does. And it just looks stupid. With most sports, the people that are really good make the most difficult things look effortless. But with kiteboarding, the stupid tricks that we sometimes see do not look effortless at all. I can't even tell what the hell those kooks are doing half of the time. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's cool if you learn to do it. I'd be more impressed if they figured out how to juggle while kiteboarding.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zerogee_ca » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:40 am

I agree, I can't believe how bad kiteboarding looks on video and photos.

All I see these days is one spastic looking move after another. You could barely tell the wipe outs from the moves. Where is the fluidity? Where's the style? and how gay is that slider and kicker? The nicest photos need the kite in the shot otherwise it just looks like another guy taking a crap in the air being hauled around with a boat or cable.

I understand and appreciate how technical these moves are and how much fun it is to finally nail a new move. It still doesn't make them look good.

selassie
Frequent Poster

omg!

Postby selassie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:16 am

I agree!

like omg,

why do some feel it necessicary to do ghey ass dangley tricks one after the other. omg ,

like people need to grow the f*** upp omg.

kite trickery is not only stupid to look at but is also a hazard to the participants and onlookers as well.

so like stop doing those ugly, stooopid, dangerous tricks you hucksters

omg how hard is it to learn some style omg losers.

jaxxy
Rare Poster

Postby jaxxy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:44 am

i agree it looks a bit stupid... i dont kite (YET!!) and i watch n think.. huh... wtf was that, did they bail out of a move half way thru?? tho on the other hand watching my bf just cruise around and jump is kinda boring... he has a blast and is totally obsessed by it but... it can be kinda boring to watch without weird looking tricks... so i dont really know what the answer is!

this is just my opinion tho and i dont even kite so its prolly not really vaild but from an onlookers perspective some moves look like a frog in a blender while no moves at all just look like... kinda boring...

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:00 am

if u cud do the tricks then you wudnt b saying this. landin a powered handlepass feels way better than anythin else cos uve gotta practise loads to get it

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:39 am

It seems that the good old-school style has its success...
One more point, from an external (non-kiter) watcher standing on the beach,
a biiiiiiiig simple jump is more "fun" to watch than a very complex trick,
made close to the water...

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:01 am

bob10 wrote:if u cud do the tricks then you wudnt b saying this. landin a powered handlepass feels way better than anythin else cos uve gotta practise loads to get it
bingo

jaxxy
Rare Poster

Postby jaxxy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:08 am

now calm down fellas... im just giving the point of view from someone standing on the edge of the water watching, im not sayng anything about hte skill sof guys who CAN land things like that im just saying it doesnt look that good... im sure it is totally satisfying and gives u a hell rush n all the crashes n painful f*** ups have paid off finally but sometimes it just doesnt look any good. sorry but it just doesnt. n u can bag me out as much as u like for not actually being able to do it, i prolly would too if i were in ur position... but kiting just isnt as graceful or good looking (for lack of a better word) as say surfing or skateboarding... IMO...

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:31 am

if ure that worried about how good u look, become a body builder

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:34 am

It was watching some chap doing really slick transitions from his heel edge then onto his toe edge, then carving out of the turn (in massive arc's with a hugh kicker coming off the board), which made me want to kite surf. Really cool to watch.

Don't want to be rude, but when I was spectating, the "experts" looked out of control some of the time, and of course, all of the tricks had to be done in front of everyone, by the shore, in the shallow water. Dangerous, and not that impressive.

Still, I can't even get on my toe edge without face planting, so who am I to talk. Those carving gybes seem a long way off :cry:

Return to “Kitesurfing”