Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

psycho 2 or Lei?

Forum for kitesurfers
Nukin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nukin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Fatlip - I rode the psycho 2's last year and switched to LEI. The big foils turn a little too slow for my taste. The 10m P2 was great, but I noticed that the 13 required too much tweaking. The whole WAC thing can drive you nuts. Basically foils and Lei's are about the same. More glide with the Psycho 2, more jump height with the LEI.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tom183 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:48 pm

I kinda stayed away from the Psychos because of the turning speed issue - but the SPEED is not a Psycho. I would say turning speed is equal to an LEI of the same power, when using the stock settings. The soft steering makes it turn faster than an LEI of the same power, although it takes more getting used to.

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:52 pm

I find the best setting is softest -1 knot. The kite ROCKS on this.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:22 am

Random wrote:I find the best setting is softest -1 knot. The kite ROCKS on this.
For the SPEED 17m, I find the best is 1 knot from center, towards soft steering. (in other words, the knot in-between the center and max soft)

The SPEED 10m is fast enough for my tastes on the stock (center) setting...

don pitcher
Frequent Poster

Postby don pitcher » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:39 am

I LOVE flying my Flysurfers on water. A year ago, I bought a big Psycho2 for light wind kiting. After the first week of using it, i was having more fun with my foil than my LEI. It wasn't long before i lost interest in the LEI and wanted to replace it with a smaller Psycho2. I did replace it and have been happy with it ever since.

selassie
Frequent Poster

Postby selassie » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:26 am

Look at all the poor, misinformed, ignorant foilers spewing their foiloganda.

Get an inflatable if you want to maximize your kiting experience to its full potential.

If you want to kook out, get a foil, kitepants, and a seat harness :/

foils = :lame1:

Mr Float
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Float » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:06 pm

Ferken eh !

Ferken foil fags
bush's a fag
osamsa's a fag
they're all fricken fags

Ferkin fagin ghey fricken forken fagin kooks

YA DICK!!!!!!!
Get a life lOOOOOOOOSSSSERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

selassie wrote:Look at all the poor, misinformed, ignorant foilers spewing their foiloganda.

Get an inflatable if you want to maximize your kiting experience to its full potential.

If you want to kook out, get a foil, kitepants, and a seat harness :/

foils = :lame1:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:05 pm

hahah you are a real cunt Sel.

grow up.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:37 am

The speed 13 does kiteloops no problem on the factory set steering speed adjustment, even when it's a little bit underpowered. I think it turns about as fast as my psycho2 10M, maybe even faster. For sure It's faster then the 2004 slingshot fuel 19

Trent

not annonymous wrote:The speed 13 feels like it turns fast enough on the stock settings. I noticed the soft steering setting is noticably faster, but in light wind the kite seems to loose power in the turns when set for full soft steering. I've only had two sessions on it so far and other one was in some really gusty wind - I did get a few very nice jumps with good hangtime then though.

I do hope to be doing kiteloops with the speed 13 but I need to fly the kite in some decent conditions to really make an assessment. The 2004 fuel 19 I know is not very good for kiteloops - a little too slow and it sits a little too far back in the window, but I can just barely loop that kite.

Trent

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Self rescue, range and upwind

Postby FredBGG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:26 am

ctxpv505 wrote:i as an instructor i cannot recomend foils as it is virtually impossible to do a self rescue with one, as they have no floatation or 'structure' of their own

personally i think they fly very bad, and thay your much better off with a good lei

however i have only flown a physco2 16 once, and hated it!
I can say from personal experience that you can self rescue with a Flysurfer. Had to do one myself. I was out in marginal wind when making a turn my footstrap came undun and I fell dropping the kite. I attempted relaunching, not doing it the right way for really light wind, and had to swim in with the kite. Kite stayed sufficently inflated all the way. Took about half an hour to get back in. This happened on my 5 session with the speed, so even as a complete novice I had no problem.

I have flown Peter Lynn Bombas, Guerillas and Venoms..and now fly the Flysurfer Speed 17. I have flown Leis a fair bit on the beach and a couple of times on the water. What I can definatly say is that Peter Lynns and Flysurfers are more stable and don't luff as easily.

As for range the Peter Lynn Venom and the Speed 17 have much more range than LEIs. Even though I weigh 230 Lbs I am often the first guy out and staying upwind. The Speed 17 is an upwind machine. I'm talking about going upwind fast and jumping against the wind swell. When the wind picks up the speed goes upwind so well that I actually have to do downwindes to get back down to where I start out. With other kites you can go upwind, with the Speed you race upwind.

The BIGGEST plus for me with the Speed is that it has very little downwind pull. The Speed uses aparent wind speed like I have never seen in another kite. Even in low wind you can get remarkable speed.
The first time I was out and I flew the kite the right way and picked up a lot of speed i was going "oh shit the winds picking up"..."might be to much for my first time"... well I put ma ass in the water and came to a stop only to see that the wind was the same.... I was stoked..

As for turning speed the Speed 17 turns remarkablly fast if you consider it's wing span and that it has the power of a 25m plus Lei.
I can say this, about the power, as I have outrun guys 50lbs lighter than me that are on 20 and 21 meter LEIs.
I have only flown the Speed on standard settings and I can say that with good strong input it turns great.

Cheers

Fred

Return to “Kitesurfing”